PDA

View Full Version : BIRTHDAY FOODS????

newsquirrelmommy
08-02-2013, 10:28 AM
I need some help for some birthday treats for my Squirt who is turning 1 yr this weekend. He always gets his veggies and some fruit and his block but i need some ideas of something i can give him for a day that wont harm him thats different than his everyday healthy meals. All creative ideas welcomed:grin3

TubeDriver
08-02-2013, 11:02 AM
I need some help for some birthday treats for my Squirt who is turning 1 yr this weekend. He always gets his veggies and some fruit and his block but i need some ideas of something i can give him for a day that wont harm him thats different than his everyday healthy meals. All creative ideas welcomed:grin3

Well, a few nuts (unsalted almonds, unsalted walnuts, unsalted but cooked peanuts in a shell) will certainly not hurt Squirt on his Birthday. He will love em too. :grin3

Avacado (NOT the skin or pit) is also a squirrel delicacy.

You could make a little cake with Avocado icing and nut topping.

newsquirrelmommy
08-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Well, a few nuts (unsalted almonds, unsalted walnuts, unsalted but cooked peanuts in a shell) will certainly not hurt Squirt on his Birthday. He will love em too. :grin3

Avacado (NOT the skin or pit) is also a squirrel delicacy.

You could make a little cake with Avocado icing and nut topping.

:wave123 Tubedriver!! Thanks for your feedback, i just want my little guy to have an amazing birthday:grin2 He does love his avocado and nuts. But as for the cake, can he actually have cake itself? Flavors better than others? Do i bake it with real cake mix? Milk and everything? The avocado icing and nut topping is so creative i know he'll absolutely love it.

TubeDriver
08-02-2013, 01:53 PM
:wave123 Tubedriver!! Thanks for your feedback, i just want my little guy to have an amazing birthday:grin2 He does love his avocado and nuts. But as for the cake, can he actually have cake itself? Flavors better than others? Do i bake it with real cake mix? Milk and everything? The avocado icing and nut topping is so creative i know he'll absolutely love it.

Not sure about the cake itself. There are instruction somewhere on this forum about making up "cookies" that are good for squirrels. You could make up the cookie and then top with avocado and nuts! I'll see if I can find the cookie recipe!

TubeDriver
08-02-2013, 01:59 PM
I found a thread where some squirrels eat Oreo cookies! That might be a nice birthday treat for Squirt!

Milo's Mom
08-02-2013, 02:00 PM
I grind up Picky Block to a powder, add a Tablespoon of Baking Powder (no aluminum kind), a splash of FV powder and an egg. Mix well and if not the consistency of cake batter, add some water. Then I pour into small round cake pans (I use 2 different sized individual muffin pans) and bake at 400 till the center is dry (poke with knife, if it comes out dry it's done).

Make sure you grease the pans.

Then I smash avocado and add just a tiny bit of FV powder, and whip well. When the cake is cool I ice the cakes with it. I use blueberries and pecan halves as decorations.

One year I also used a tiny acorn shaped carrot cake as the cake topper. Ellie pulled it off and ate it!

In the pics below the pink stuff on the blueberries is just tiny drops of pink writing icing from a tube. ALSO, if you are going to use the avocado icing, do not prepare it in advance...a couple hours is okay but not the day before.....it'll turn brown and yucky looking on you.

21080321081121081021080921080821080721080621080521 0804210812

TubeDriver
08-02-2013, 02:08 PM
That is awesome!

We will need pics of Squirt eating his cake too!

Milo's Mom
08-02-2013, 02:11 PM
That is awesome!

We will need pics of Squirt eating his cake too!

Thank you Tube Driver!!

Yes, NSM, we will need a pic of Squirt eating his cake!!!!

The pics I posted were from Ellie's first birthday. I made the same exact cake for her second birthday....both years she ate the cake (I gave her a small piece each day). When the avocado got yucky I threw it all away. It is fun and neat that they can eat the cake and it's good for them (versus chocolate or true cake), but it is a huge waste of HHB's. But birthdays are only once a year so splurging is okay!!! :tilt

Milo's Mom
08-02-2013, 02:13 PM
You can also whip up some egg whites with the avocado to make the icing fluffier.

Rianna
08-02-2013, 02:22 PM
JIT's Emma makes a mean chocolate cake...just ask Jackie! :grin3

Sorry, I have no recipes or ideas but I will be checking this one for more input. Love the cake MM!!

newsquirrelmommy
08-02-2013, 02:49 PM
OMG thank you Milo's Mom, Tubedriver and Rianna for all of your wonderful ideas:thumbsup I cant believe how excited im getting to be doing all this birthday stuff for him:crazy :jump

Milo's Mom that cake looks absolutely delicious, i bet Ellie had a ball eating that. I will definately try these ideas and see how everything comes along:grin3

Milo's Mom
08-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

And we need pics too!!!!

If you run into problems or have questions along the way, you've got my number, just give me a shout!!

Please give Squirt some birthday kisses and scritchies from his Auntie MM.

Ya wanna see how crazy I got with Ellie's first birthday (and second)....look in her thread....her first birthday party was the Birthday Princess theme and I had it at the end of July/early August of 2011.

Milo's Mom
08-02-2013, 03:43 PM
NSM - I found the EXACT recipe I used for Ellie's cake!!!! I had it posted in her thread.

I am a good cook but I do not normally follow instructions...I just throw some of this and some of that, a pinch here and there....so me trying to recreate or write down what I do is near impossible.

The recipe for the cake is (to make the same size I made, as pictured above which is on a 7in square paper plate):

Cake
1/2 bag of Picky Eaters HHB's
2 spoonfuls of Yo-Baby Blueberry Yogurt
1.5 tsp Baking Powder (aluminum free)
1 container Gerber Baby Food (apple/blueberry)
2-3 TBSP oil
1 Egg
1/4-1/2 cup water
Pinch of table salt

Grind/pulverize the HHB's as fine as possible (I put mine in a food processor for about 30 minutes). Add the yogurt, baking powder, baby food, salt, oil, & egg. Mix very well. Slowly add water until the mixture is the consistency of a thick cake batter (sort of like brownie batter). Pour into greased pans of your choice. (remember this will rise as it cooks so do not fill the pans to the top) Bake for about 30 minutes at 350*. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Icing
3 avocados
1 block (large) cream cheese
1/2 cup 10x sugar
1 egg white

Beat avocado until smooth, add cream cheese piece by piece and continue mixing to keep smooth. Add sugar slowly. Add egg white and mix in. Mixture will be runny in comparison to regular icing. Refrigerate over night then place on refrigerated cake.

This is my first attempt so I sort of flew by the seat of my pants. I did talk to Leigh about the ingredients and she felt that they were fine (although with the sugar amounts this should NOT be eaten daily or frequently...just on birthday's!!)

Milo's Mom
08-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Here is the link to post #367 on Ellie's thread....it's where her 1st birthday party pics start. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?25936-Princess-Ellie&p=667100#post667100

Looking back I think I may have gone a little overboard....just a smidge though. :grin

newsquirrelmommy
08-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Omg i just saw Ellies bday party pics. What an awesome party!! Definately didnt go overboard. Im not even having and actual party because its just me and the fiance and the bday boy himself and i cant wait to go buy tons of decorations:jump I will post pics when all is said and done:thumbsup:grin3

TubeDriver
08-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Omg i just saw Ellies bday party pics. What an awesome party!! Definately didnt go overboard. Im not even having and actual party because its just me and the fiance and the bday boy himself and i cant wait to go buy tons of decorations:jump I will post pics when all is said and done:thumbsup:grin3

Have a great time. Wish squirt a happy birthday from me.

newsquirrelmommy
08-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Have a great time. Wish squirt a happy birthday from me.

I will Tubedriver thank you:grin2