PDA

View Full Version : New baby not eating

sqrl luv
07-30-2013, 12:40 AM
I got in a new baby last night weighing 125 grams. When I got her she ate 5 cc of formula. She ate another 5 cc before bed and ate 5 cc this morning, however, she has refused to eat since then. She did not aspirate, is not bloated, and her stools were fine until this afternoon when they got a bit soft! I have tried diluted formula, goats milk mixture, sugar water, and pedialyte and she refuses it all. I've gotten enough in her to where she is not dehydrated but I'm at a loss as to what to do! Any ideas? Thank you!

Unikorngrrl
07-30-2013, 12:52 AM
I got in a new baby last night weighing 125 grams. When I got her she ate 5 cc of formula. She ate another 5 cc before bed and ate 5 cc this morning, however, she has refused to eat since then. She did not aspirate, is not bloated, and her stools were fine until this afternoon when they got a bit soft! I have tried diluted formula, goats milk mixture, sugar water, and pedialyte and she refuses it all. I've gotten enough in her to where she is not dehydrated but I'm at a loss as to what to do! Any ideas? Thank you!

Try some maple or pancake syrup on her gums. The sugar will soap in through the gingival mucosa (gums) and should stimulate her to eat. Make sure she is good and warm and that the formula is good and warm too. VERY warm!! Should feel warmer than baby milk on your wrist but not burn! I'll be here for a while if you need me.

sqrl luv
07-30-2013, 02:10 AM
Got her to eat a little by doing this! I'll try again in a few hours! Thanks a bunch!!!

Unikorngrrl
07-30-2013, 02:58 AM
Awesome!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

island rehabber
07-30-2013, 06:05 AM
My little trick for getting babies to eat is to purr against them. Hold the baby up to your neck or throat and purr like a cat, or humm if you can't purr. It triggers something in the baby's mind that "Mamma's near!" and you'll see their little mouths start moving.....you can get an extra 1cc or two down them after that. :tilt

Wonkawillie
07-30-2013, 08:35 AM
If you just got this baby, then 5ccs is kind of a lot at first. When they nurse from mom they NEVER get this much milk at one time. They get smaller amounts more often. If the baby seems ok, he just could be not hungry. Give him some time to digest all that food. let his belly get empty. Dont panic about him going too long without food. I have gotten babies that had not eaten in days and they did just fine. 5ccs three times in a row, may have been just a sudden overfeed that he is not used too. let him digest, keep him warm and try again. If they are healthy they WILL eat when hungry. I dont think you mentioned what you were feeding?

sqrl luv
07-31-2013, 12:16 AM
Thank you all. She is getting smaller amounts of fox valley! Appreciate all the help!

SammysMom
07-31-2013, 05:47 AM
:Welcomelittle one! How did she come to you? Did you start with hydration fluid or formula?

sqrl luv
08-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Sorry for the slow reply... more babies coming in. She came into our wildlife center and they gave her fluids before I got her so I gave her formula at her next feeding time. She is doing better today!!! I started her back on formula slowly with 1cc and now she's up to 3cc! I will increase slowly! I did sub q her twice since she was dehydrated. Seems to be on the upswing. Thank you all!!!