PDA

View Full Version : Found a baby, need advice

Dexedrine
06-24-2013, 10:29 AM
I found a red squirrel that i estimate is around 6 weeks old

i've given it a dark place with a heating pad on low, and she has been sleeping a lot.

i was able to get a few drops of re hydrating solution via syringe, but she won't stay still in my hands when i'm trying to feed her formula, and is continually shocked/put off when i touch the liquid to her lips in effort to get her to nurse.

when I handle her sometimes her eyes close abruptly and muscles relax, like she is too worn out to stay alert.

has pooped, and i assume peed but i have no evidence of urinating

island rehabber
06-24-2013, 10:50 AM
First, thank you for saving her. A few questions so we can help you better:

What were the conditions when you found her? Did it appear she fell from somewhere, or was attacked?
What color are her gums, if you can handle her that way.......white/grey or pinkish?

It's possible that she is still very dehydrated and has no appetite because of it. Keep trying to hydrate her, even if it's 1ml every hour, and you may see her miraculously perk up. When she is brighter-eyed and less sleepy you can try the formula again. Make SURE it is very warm; remember that baby squirrels are only used to drinking something that came from mamma's body -- which is 102*F. Cold or room temperature liquid does not register as "food" to them.

Dexedrine
06-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Found by itself in a wooded area of my property, worse for wear.

I've got her to drink now from a small saucer, it seemed like she had never done that before. She categorically refuses the syringe.

How do I make her at ease when I'm handling?(when trying to feed)It would be nice to just pick her up instead of feeling the wriggling to climb out of my hand straight away. thanks for the reply

farrelli
06-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Babies are squirmy. I don't know what you could do about that.

Have you tried dipping the end of the syringe (no needle) in molasses or syrup of some kind? It often gets them interested. Hydration is very important.

Fireweed
06-24-2013, 02:58 PM
If you are trying to handle her to get her to drink from the syringe, you could wrap her in a small piece of fleece 'burrito-style'. Put the fleece over her back, then pick her up, then wrap the loose edges around to form the burrito. That might help.
Make sure her feet are planted on your lap, for example, or the burrito is holding her feet in. They don't usually like their legs dangling.

You can put some small, clean rocks in the water dish so she doesn't submerge her nose trying to drink from the dish. Hopefully you can get her to drink from the syringe, though.

Monipenny
06-25-2013, 02:17 PM
If the baby has not urinated yet, it's either one of two reason. 1. You may need to stimulate him with a damp tissue, this is about the age when squirrels begin to go on their own but yet need stimulation until they are going on their own regularly. 2. May be dehydrated in which case no urine output. Stimulate to see if he will go. Hydrate with water, sugar, salt for only 24 hours, then use sugar water or water only. No salt after the first 24 hours. You will need to order Fox Valley formula and feeding syringes and Henry's growth blocks from www.henryspets.com They do flat rate shipping, very reasonable so best to order everything at once.

In the mean time you will need to feed him a goats milk formula, goats milk found at most stores (it lasts only 3 days before it spoils) you can freeze small amounts and use as needed to prevent loss until your supplies arrive. You need to add plain yogurt and heavy whipping cream to the goats milk, but use only goats milk and yogurt for the first day before adding the whipping cream. I don't recall the ratio on these ingredients. Someone here can find it and post it for you or look in another thread for this information. Please let us know how you and the baby are doing.