PDA

View Full Version : HELP CHIPMUNK FOUND IN CATS MOUTH

Cwinkler340
06-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi all, my neighbor cat was playing with a chipmunk in the front yard, I carefully picked up the chipmunk and put it in my emergency cage I keep around for such occasions. He has no outward signs of injury (cuts). During the first hour there was little hope, she appeared to be in shock, breathing decreased significantly, little movement, eyes glazed and kind of rolled back. She however pulled through the night.

Her current status is much different, complete movement of head and legs, however there is no balance or coordination, cant walk (simply falls to where ever she is trying to get to) appears to be in a complete state of confusion (bobs head uncontrollably when not covered by cloth). Also sleeps on and off all day (cage was covered at night). Not scared at all of human touch.

BUT is eating very well!

I am not a chipmunk expert, just trying to help. The nearest vet willing to work on a chipmunk is an 1 1/2 hours away and I wont throw her outside in her current condition (might as well give her to the cat).

She is being kept in a medium size cage, towels on the floor, water in a ball jar lid,in a warm quite location. she uses a wash cloth to huddle under.

She is rather dark so i'm assuming she is young. (also no signs of testicles so assuming its a female)

I would like to know what I can do to ease her possible discomfort, what I should be feeding her, how long I should hold on to her

Thank you in advance everyone!

cnmnnaturalist
06-19-2013, 01:56 PM
The Chipmunk needs IMMEDIATE antibiotics. Cat saliva is lethal in itself to a wild animal, even if there are no wounds. Baytril or Cipro are best for this.

It sounds as if it has some sort of head or spinal trauma.

Cwinkler340
06-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Where would i be able to get a hold of them, how would i administer

Cwinkler340
06-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Where would I be able to get a hold of them and how would I administer? thanks for the reply!

cnmnnaturalist
06-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Baytril is a veterinary antibiotic. 22.7mg chewable turned into a liquid formula and dosed at .02ml per 50grams of weight.. Some vets may give you a prescription if you ask. Cipro is a human antibiotic, but I don't know the dosage conversion for something of that size.

cnmnnaturalist
06-19-2013, 02:06 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?21626-EMERGENCY-CARE-FOR-BABY-SQUIRRELS Be sure to read this as well.

cnmnnaturalist
06-19-2013, 02:11 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/member.php?u=3852 This is the profile of Chipmunk Lover. You can try and message her and let her know what your problem is. She's VERY well versed in Chipmunk care.

The NUMBER ONE priority is antibiotics. The Chipmunk will die very quickly without them.

CritterMom
06-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Where would I be able to get a hold of them and how would I administer? thanks for the reply!

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) is a VERY popular human antibiotic, often prescribed for urinary tract infections. It came to the public notice when it was used during the anthrax scares, as it is one of very few meds that can deal with that. If you can get a single pill and also the information on the size (normally either 250 or 500 milligram) and an accurate weight on the chippie, we can you properly dilute the pill and dose it appropriately for the chippie. Call around and ask your friends, see what you can get hold of for antibiotics. Amoxycillen is not great but can also be used.

It can be ordered but by the time you got it, it would likely be too late: http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/1266/Antibiotics

farrelli
06-19-2013, 02:31 PM
You can also call around to pet stores as some, not many but some, will have Baytril on hand for birds and reptiles, somehow that makes it legal to dispense without a script.

But again Cipro is super common among humans, so ask around. I or someone else can give you dosing info if you get it. And if you can't find either of these things, let us know if you have any antibiotics.

But for now, dark, warmth, and quiet are key. Hydration is also important.

Cwinkler340
06-19-2013, 02:46 PM
The 2 antibiotics i have on hand are

Amoxicillin 500 mg capsule

Cephalexin 500 mg capsule

Would either work?

farrelli
06-19-2013, 03:02 PM
I think that Amoxicillin will work, but I'm not sure. Let me PM our resident pharmacist and direct her here.

Nancy in New York
06-19-2013, 03:07 PM
I think that Amoxicillin will work, but I'm not sure. Let me PM our resident pharmacist and direct her here.

Yes Amoxicillin is good. I will send you a pm with the info in once I get it typed up.
Do you have a weight on him?
Thanks farrelli

Cwinkler340
06-19-2013, 03:11 PM
2.5 oz

Nancy in New York
06-19-2013, 03:20 PM
2.5 oz

OK I just sent you the info.
Sorry it was sent as Squerly, I had to give you
membership so that I could send you pm info. and I forgot
to go back as my user name...:)

Cwinkler340
06-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Suppose to be mls.:):hidechair

Thank you! clears it up for me!

Cwinkler340
06-19-2013, 03:58 PM
OK! First dose administered. Now we wait! What should I be feeding him in the mean time??

Also, Thank you everyone who has put input in, its been extremely valuable.

farrelli
06-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Sorry you never got a response about diet. Here's a link:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?41099-Would-love-some-advice-on-Chipmunk-diet&highlight=chipmunk

Unless he's a baby. Is he? Got a pic?