PDA

View Full Version : Just need some advice.

Reynolds the Sap Ravager
06-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi my name is Sarah and I need some advice on my version of a soft release.

Heres a little back story. I found a baby grey squirrel only a few weeks old in Early April around 5 in the morning. I waited for the mother to come and hours later no one came. So I swooped her up and made a little incubator box to keep her warm before I even tried to rehydrate her. Weeks later she is healthy and gained a ton of weight. Has a very good diet of vegetables, formula, fruit and nuts.

Last month she started to have so much energy so I took her outside to play in the grass. Then she played in the trees in my backyard. And now I daily take her out at around 7 am and she is outside climbing and doing whatever squirrels do for several hours then I take her in for a nap and bring her out around 2 to 6pm. When I come outside she makes eye contact and runs down to tree to greet me and jumps on my shoulder and sucks on my hair. Very cute.

But I have two problems. One is I am a broke full time student and I could only afford a moderately small guinea pig cage for her to sleep in. She spends all her active time outside either with me watching her while I'm on the patio or by her self in the trees. So I can't really do the normal soft release although I wish I could. And the second problem is lately a group of black squirrels have been harassing her. I thought they might have just been playing but it seems much more aggressive. They chase her and bark at her.
Any suggestions on my unconventional method of release or on bulling squirrels? Or any other advice really?

Fireweed
06-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi, there! :)

So, you are saying you rescued her when her eyes were closed at a few weeks old? Or were her eyes opened? How old do you think she is now?

I'm thinking she's too young to be on her own outside right now. If she gets chased off by the aggressive squirrels, she wouldn't be ready to take care of herself just yet. This is the danger of taking the youngins out to free-play before they are actually mature enough.

But let us know her age and we'll go from there, ok? :thumbsup