PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice?

Reynolds the Sap Ravager
06-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Hi my name is Sarah and I need some advice on my version of a soft release.

Heres a little back story. I found a baby grey squirrel only a few weeks old in Early April around 5 in the morning. I waited for the mother to come and hours later no one came. So I swooped her up and made a little incubator box to keep her warm before I even tried to rehydrate her. Weeks later she is healthy and gained a ton of weight. Has a very good diet of vegetables, formula, fruit and nuts.

Last month she started to have so much energy so I took her outside to play in the grass. Then she played in the trees in my backyard. And now I daily take her out at around 7 am and she is outside climbing and doing whatever squirrels do for several hours then I take her in for a nap and bring her out around 2 to 6pm. When I come outside she makes eye contact and runs down to tree to greet me and jumps on my shoulder and sucks on my hair. Very cute.

But I have two problems. One is I am a broke full time student and I could only afford a moderately small guinea pig cage for her to sleep in. She spends all her active time outside either with me watching her while I'm on the patio or by her self in the trees. So I can't really do the normal soft release although I wish I could. And the second problem is lately a group of black squirrels have been harassing her. I thought they might have just been playing but it seems much more aggressive. They chase her and bark at her.

Any suggestions on my unconventional method of release or on bulling squirrels? Or any other advice really?

stosh2010
06-09-2013, 08:53 PM
But I have two problems. One is I am a broke full time student and I could only afford a moderately small guinea pig cage for her to sleep in.
That seems way too small for your guy-- I've built cages for 5 of my 6 Costa Rican squirrels... Is that a possibility ? Are you "crafty" ?
Also there are websites for FREE stuff (someone will chime in with a link) and maybe you can find a larger cage...

Unikorngrrl
06-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Just and FYI, I posted for free or cheap cages for rehab on Craigslist and got 1 cage donated and another for really, really cheap! You can also check local ads. People are always selling cages.

Shewhosweptforest
06-09-2013, 09:23 PM
:wave123 :Welcome You already sound like you have a type of soft release going...it seems like she's out during the day and then back in at night...correct..the only problem is if something frightens her she may take off and get into danger....do you have any idea how old she is:dono there is thread that's a sticky that helps determine age....she must be older to be that independent and gone that long in the trees....worse case scenario you keep doing what you're doing and put food out ....best find a cage and try to keep her in it outside...but she may not want to cooperate after her taste of freedom....some more experienced members will be coming along with advice:thinking Good Luck and again:Welcome :Love_Icon

Nancy in New York
06-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Do you know how old she is? I worry about the black squirrels that you say are aggressive around her. Can you post any photos of her?
She may be too young for release yet.