PDA

View Full Version : Eating habits question

corabora
06-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Okay our squirrel is 9/10 weeks old now. We're trying to wean him off of the formula and onto the blocks. Before he wouldn't touch them, now there's a lot of crumbs in his cage from the blocks that we give him.

I sat in while he was eating the block and he kinda bit and flicked off a few pieces and then nibbled on it and then bit and flicked a few pieces off again.

Is there a way we can get him to eat the whole thing without doing that or is that how they eat?

Unikorngrrl
06-06-2013, 12:45 PM
:wave123 and :Welcome to TSB!! :D That's just how they start off with their blocks. Enjoy it, it won't be long before they aren't doing baby things anymore ;) Don't try to wean him, let him do it himself. The nutrition from the FV gives them a firm foundation to start a wild life!! You want him to take it as long as possible. :Love_Icon

farrelli
06-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Yeah we really recommend not weaning. They'll stop eventually, on their own, when they're ready. We recommend offering blocks while on formula, usually starting around your age or later, and they'll usually just sniff them at first, or nibble but not really eat, or pee on them, but eventually they'll start really eating them. Once they're going strong, then introduce veggies and some fruits and nuts as treats. Btw, what blocks are you feeding?

corabora
06-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Oh okay. Thank you for that. Reading around I thought that we had to wean them ourselves. I'm using the Squirrel Blocks-Growth Formula from Henry's Pets, along with the FV formula.

farrelli
06-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Awesome nutrition. The only other thing I'd suggest is weighing him at least once a day to make sure he's gaining properly. Weight gain can often indicate problems before they would be seen any other way.

stosh2010
06-06-2013, 02:45 PM
W-E-L-C-O-M-E to T.S.B.
Glad to Have YOU Aboard

>>> from Rama Rota... & Cruiser... & LUNA...& Oscuro & Claro... & SEIS ...and RamaMama and Stosh

LINKs to my Costa Rican Squirrel CREW are at the bottom of this post---Come Visit
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

We "LIVE FOR " photos.here on TSB....do you have some to share??
I will post them for you here-- until you figure out our system... e'mail to
stosh@jpcfl.com
Please type your THREAD name in the e-mail message line...thanks

################################################## ####################

WHAT is his NAME... ?????

Here is a link to our NUTRITION site...it is FULL Of great info..

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39275

It lists:
Safe Plants--trees--veges--and proper treats for your Fuzz-Head.

READ--Read--Read...THEN ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

Unikorngrrl
06-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Oh okay. Thank you for that. Reading around I thought that we had to wean them ourselves. I'm using the Squirrel Blocks-Growth Formula from Henry's Pets, along with the FV formula.
:thumbsup :thumbsup Best thing you could have done!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Rhapsody
06-06-2013, 03:10 PM
I have three babies that around the age of your squirrel and they are getting both the Fox Valley formula and the HHB squirrel block on a daily basis...... plus I am starting to add a few green vegetables here and there with organic apple branches for them to chew on. :thumbsup