PDA

View Full Version : Itchy

HazelnutAcorn
06-01-2013, 02:30 AM
Squirrel 6 weeks old
Fell or taken from nest
Puncture wound but has healed

Very itchy... Cannot stop scratching and gnawing.
Swollen eyes, but looking better

Used over the course of a week by suggestion of vet:
Flea/tick shampoo... Seemed to have reaction... Washed mild dish soap and rinsed
Sulfurated lime dip
Anti-itch spray

Now he wants us to use cortisone spray... She's so young and been through a lot. I just don't want to put anymore chemicals on her unless I'm sure it will help.

quagmire
06-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Welcome to TSB,
There are plenty of knowledgable people on here. Perhaps give a little info on how you got the squirrel. Also details of diet and anything else that might help.

For the dish soap did you use DAWN?

Does the squirrel have flaky dry skin? Normal skin just scrathcing a lot? Any issues with the ears being itchy too?

Why are the eyes swollen?

HazelnutAcorn
06-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Thank you for your reply.

A little over a week ago, we found Hazel on the cold cement about 25 yards from the tree we think she was in. In the night we heard an adult squirrel making a raucous and we think that an owl may have been the culprit. She had a light puncture wound under her front arm which healed quickly. She was very cold.

We gave her homemade Pedialyte then PetVac kitten formula. We have started offering her slivered almonds, watermelon and a strawberry. She was with us at breakfast one day and stole some banana strawberry smoothie.

When we first found her there were mites crawling from her onto us. They looked like the same as what you would find on a baby starling. She had itchy scaly inflamed skin. Hence the flea bath.

We did not see anymore mites, but they could still be there. Over the course of several days the itching redness and swelling of the eyes increased. We washed off the flea shampoo with diluted Kirkland environmentally friendly dish soap.

The swelling in her eyes went down slightly by the next day. Itching and redness continues with the patches of scaly skin worsening. She can't stop
scratching and gnawing. Her ears are itchy, but not anymore than the rest of her body. The worst part is by her cheeks.

Yesterday we used sulfated lime dip. The jury is out on that one.

We are also giving her a drop of cod liver oil in each feeding.

I would appreciate any help you could give.

quagmire
06-01-2013, 12:15 PM
The first thing is not to use kitten replacement milk. If she is going to continue using formula or milk type product witch to goat's milk. There is a goat milk formula that many people use that is on this board. Here is the recipe. It's not good to change them over to any formula without transitioning. Watch out for diarrhea. I would not add the cream now, wait a day before doing so and order the FV NOW.

Remember this is only temporary (2-3 days).

3 parts goat’s milk
1 part heavy whipping cream
1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator. If the squirrel will be fed formula for an extended period you should order one package of Fox Valley 20/50 (squirrels age 4 weeks and older). It is available only on-line. If the squirrel is transitioning to solids you need to feed pieces of veggies, fruits (no pits, seeds or skins) and Kay-tee rodent blocks (pet stores should have these) or Henry's Healthy Block's (available only on-line). The rodent blocks should become the main staple for dietary needs.

I would not use any more harsh chemicals on the squirrel such as the lime dip. Get feedback from other rehabbers.

I have no experience with mites but it sounds like it still may be an issue. Others will offer insight in dealing with this kind of issue. I do know that the ears can harbor mite infestations or other irritants. You can gently clean the ears with q-tips but do not go to far in the ear canal. My squirrel used to have serious itchy ears even though we tried many things to remedy but I don't think we ever won that battle. This should offer basics for a good start. The pros should chime in as well. Good luck and thanks for rescuing this squirrel.

kastillo
06-01-2013, 12:21 PM
The only safe thing to use on baby squirrels is dawn dish soap, rinse thoroughly, and keep the baby very warm, dry with warm towels, and have a fleece in the cage ready to recieve baby, half on half off heating pad on low. Don't acutually put towels in the cage with her.

Sounds to me like there has been too many chemicals put on this baby.

After a bath with Dawn and she's dry and warm, you can put 1 DROP of KITTEN revolution on her back between the shoulder blades.

She should not be on kitten formula.

How old is she?

You can start her on the emergency goats milk formula till you can order some fox valley, it's the very best thing for squirrels and some will take formula till they are 12 weeks or older.

Also, you have got to get her a good quaility rodent block, the best is from henryspets.com.
This should be like 80% of her diet when she's off formula.

STOP WITH THE NUTS AND FRUITS. Please review the nutrition section. Nuts and fruits are TREATS ONLY, and they must be eating and loving their rodent block before offered any.

Do you have a picture of her condition. Please no more dips, powders, sprays, chemicals, etc. You may worsen her condition.

If you have any other questions , please ask, I will continue to watch this thread and try to answer.

kastillo
06-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Emergency goats milk formula

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29904

Please follow the link

kastillo
06-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Oh, and heating pad should be half UNDER the container she's in , not in it.

HazelnutAcorn
06-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Approx. 6 weeks old.

Other sites I found said NOT to use goats milk. I'm getting very confused by all of these opinions. We have our own goats and I would much rather give her their milk.

I forgot to mention she is eating the rodent pellets already.
The fruits and nuts she gets once or twice a day.

Thanks!

kastillo
06-01-2013, 12:48 PM
It's a temporary goats milk formula till you can order some Fox Valley formula for squirrels. foxvalleynutrition.com

At 6 weeks she should still be getting at least 3 feedings a day of formula, and should be taking 5% - 7% of her body weight in formula per feeding.

Say she's 80 grams, she needs to eat at least 4-6 cc's of formula per feeding.
100 grams, 5-7 cc's per feeding, and so on.

At 6 weeks, their back teeth are just beginning to erupt, so they will chew on solids, but not ingest much.

kastillo
06-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Scaly skin is also indicative of mites. Dawn bath and revolution should take care of it.

Keep us updated.

CritterMom
06-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Shouldn't use JUST goat's milk. It doesn't have enough fat in it. That is why the formula has the added heavy cream - the yogurt adds probiotics. Kitten milk is too high in protein and does not have enough fat.

Do yourself a favor and order the Fox Valley. They suddenly just explode with growth and vigor when they begin getting the right food.

HazelnutAcorn
06-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Thank you for all of your replies!!!!

I do not have kitten revolution on hand. I do have Sentry. Is this okay to use?

I had better go and buy Dawn. Does anyone know why Dawn is the only safe soap to use?

CritterMom
06-01-2013, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't say it is the ONLY safe soap to use. We don't normally recomment flea shampoos for the wee ones, though.

Dawn is nice because the same stuff that gets grease off dishes so well (and oil off ducks and sea birds) also acts to smother and "de-waterproof" the mites and fleas and gets rid of them as well as a flea shampoo would without any insecticide danger. Dawn is good stuff.

Revolution you will have to get from your vet. I personally would not use anything but that. It can be ordered from www.joespetmeds.com but you don't want to have to wait for shipment if you can get it from the vet.

Charley Chuckles
06-01-2013, 02:19 PM
:Welcome here is the Fox Valley formula, I keep it in my freezer, best formula ever :thumbsup and it is cheaper in the long run, easy to use, fast shipping too :D
http://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley-day-one-formula-32-40/

stosh2010
06-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Here is a link to our NUTRITION forum...

READ--READ---READ---READThe more you know--the healthier your little friend will become.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39275

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%

W-E-L-C-O-M-E to T.S.B.
Glad to Have YOU Aboard

>>> from Rama Rota & Cruiser & LUNA...& Oscuro & Claro & ...and SEIS... & RamaMama and Stosh

LINKs to my Costa Rican Squirrel CREW are at the bottom of this post---Come Visit
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

We "LIVE FOR " photos.here on TSB....do you have some to share??
I will post them for you here-- until you figure out our system... e'mail to
stosh@jpcfl.com
Please type your THREAD name in the e-mail message line...thanks

HazelnutAcorn
06-02-2013, 01:16 AM
Another thing I forgot to mention. Her back legs don't work properly. Could she have mbd so soon? She gets sunlight each day. Otherwise, I'm inclined to think it is a result of her fall.

I will try to post some pictures of Hazel soon.

kastillo
06-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Pictures and/or video would be helpful :D

Nancy in New York
06-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Another thing I forgot to mention. Her back legs don't work properly. Could she have mbd so soon? She gets sunlight each day. Otherwise, I'm inclined to think it is a result of her fall.

I will try to post some pictures of Hazel soon.

I just saw this thread now. When did she fall? Have her legs not worked right since you got her? If this was recent a day or two, a vet may be able to give you some prednisone to help with this. If any longer, it most likely will not have an affect.

stosh2010
06-02-2013, 06:45 AM
If you need some quick help with posting photos--send them to mw

stosh@jpcfl.com

put TSB in the message line--I'll post them on YOUR thread.

HazelnutAcorn
06-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Thank you again for all of your advice.

I have just ordered the Fox Valley formula.

She has been very sleepy yesterday and today. We thought that we may have heard some sounds indicating pneumonia.

Tomorrow first thing, I will contact my vet and see if he is willing to see her. As I'm in CA it isn't legal to have her. There is no way I'm going to contact the Fish/Game people. Last time, they just put the animal down without even trying to help!!!

She fell from a tree.... or owl's grasp... May 21. It was early in the morning when we found her and she was very cold.

:thankyou

MollyBear361
06-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Is she clicking with every breath? I'm not an expert here but know if she is and has pneumonia tomorrow may be too late. Why domyou think she has pneumonia?

kastillo
06-03-2013, 12:48 AM
She might have some spinal trauma from the fall/predator. I think the window for steroids to help has closed.
Experts, any thoughts on this?? Perhaps some infant ibuprofen for pain/swelling??

It's unlikely she has MBD, being she's only been in your care a couple weeks.

Sounds to me like the leg issue is do to injury. Keep her in a cage where she can't fall and injure herself further.
Lots of soft fleece too.

A video would be really helpful. Stosh has offered to post one for you if you can email it to him.

Please update us soon.

How's her itching? I don't know about the sentry product, kitten revolution is the one that's most recommended here.

HazelnutAcorn
06-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Last night we only heard the clicking noise a little bit, but she keeps sneezing. This morning she was sneezing so badly she couldn't drink.

She can use her back legs, just not very well. Our vet has a fancy new x-ray machine that he loves using and says he'll never be able to pay off. He's offered before to x-ray anything for free. We're hoping to take him up on his offer.

Waiting for the vets office to open. Will give an update after we have spoken to/seen him.

:squirrel1

farrelli
06-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Clicking is very bad? Are you going to see the vet today? Do you have any antibiotics? Baytril is great and is prescribed for pets, and Cipro is widely prescribed for humans. Got either of them? Could you ask around? Do you have any others?

HazelnutAcorn
06-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Hazel went to the vet today at 8:30 PST. He took one listen of her lungs and said, "Oh, boy." We've started her on antibiotics. We hope this will take care of her pneumonia.

He thinks that her skin condition and hind leg problems are both due to vitamin deficiency so she's on those as well.

I forgot to ask him while I was there...

Does anyone know if it is safe to give squirrels probiotics while on antibiotics?

farrelli
06-03-2013, 02:50 PM
It depends on the antibiotic. What do you have?

HazelnutAcorn
06-03-2013, 06:26 PM
CLAVAMOX

I have good news...

Although still very itchy, she has moved around a lot more today with her back legs looking the best they have yet.

Not much sneezing and her eyes are opened wider and have a brighter look.

farrelli
06-03-2013, 08:35 PM
I found something on 1800petmeds.com where the "pharmasist" recommended probiotics to a pet on Clav. Personally, I'd give them maybe a couple hours after a dose of Clav.

Nancy in New York
06-03-2013, 08:40 PM
When on Clavamox it's advised to give probiotics 2 hours before or after the medicine to control GI upset.

HazelnutAcorn
06-05-2013, 12:33 PM
I cannot believe the difference in our little Hazel. She is acting like a true squirrel. She's climbing around and her back legs are getting better every day.

She is still very itchy, but it may take some time to cure that. The main thing is that she seems happy and alert.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!!

quagmire
06-05-2013, 04:11 PM
:thumbsup :jump :wott

Good news. Keep up the good work.

squirel
06-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Wonderful news !!!! Good work !!!!
All the best and warm healing feelings

Unikorngrrl
06-05-2013, 05:09 PM
:grouphug :thumbsup Thanks for the update!! We love improvement stories. Lets us know we're not typing away in vain ;)

HazelnutAcorn
06-23-2013, 08:08 PM
I'm sorry I haven't posted any updates in a while. Things have been very busy. I took a video of Hazel, but I'm afraid it didn't work out too well. I was using my iPod and she was moving around too quickly!!! :rotfl

We have fixed up and outdoor squirreliary (that's what we're calling it). Is there a term for this?
She is really starting to love it out there. We've still been bringing her in at night, but we may leave her in her little nest out there tonight... if we can tear ourselves away. I think we have more of a problem with it than she does. LOL.

We've been trying to get her to eat her rodent block, but she has no interest. She nibbles a bit. We finally have started to offer other things than rodent block. As she will be released at some point, we are trying to show her things that she will find in the area. She loves pine nuts, dandelion, and radish leaves. Unfortunately, this means that she will be visiting our garden. We don't mind one squirrel eating our stuff, but I hope she doesn't decide to bring friends when she's older.

Our last squirrel, Acorn, discovered one of our apple trees on her own. She we take one bite out of each one and throw the rest on the ground.

She is still itchy, but it isn't quite as bad. It looks like some of her fur my be starting to grow back around her face. That's the main area she would scratch. I'm hoping that the dewormer will take care of whatever was causing this.

Anyway, she is a very happy (and nutty) squirrel.

At what point should we let her go up trees? She is desperate, but we're afraid she'll get stuck. They are ponderosa pines and there would be no way for us to help her. She's about 9-10 weeks old now.

farrelli
06-23-2013, 11:38 PM
I don't have time to read through the entire thread by now, but nutrition is the most important thing in a squirrels life. You MUST get her eating her blocks. She cannot be released without having the proper nutrition first. It sounds like her diet has too little calcium and pine nuts are like the worst possible thing to offer in that situation as they contain massive amounts of phosphorous which will block the absorption of whatever calcium is in her diet.

SammysMom
06-23-2013, 11:42 PM
She is still too young for release. Really at least a few more weeks is best and as Farrelli said, her diet needs work. You definitely need to get her to eat rodent block. Is she still taking formula and if so, is it FV?

HazelnutAcorn
06-24-2013, 01:40 PM
She is still getting formula 4 times a day and it is Fox Valley. We discovered her this morning with her rodent block munching away. There's is hope for her eating them, yet!!! We weren't planning on releasing her, but is it okay for her to play in a tree for a little while?

Our other squirrel, Acorn, liked rodent blocks. After her release she would come back to eat rodent blocks and treats, but after a while she stopped taking rodent blocks. As she was on her own and only getting the occasional treat we weren't worried about that so much.

However, how do you get a picky squirrel to eat them? We resisted giving her anything other than rodent blocks and formula... the rodent blocks went untouched. Then again, she is only just now at the age to start properly trying to eat solids. This past weekend we offered her the radish greens. Is it still okay to offer her greens as well as the block or should we take her greens away?

farrelli
06-24-2013, 02:29 PM
In a tree, outside? Absolutely not! I can't tell you the number of stories here of people taking their squirrels outside prior to putting them through the soft release process only to loose them. Sometimes they get spooked, or lost, or taken by a hawk. We strongly recommend not taking them outside until it's time, and for a squirrel not destined for release, we recommend never taking them outside. Taking them outside seems to only get them to wild up.

How much block did she eat? Really, we're not kidding about nutrition. Improper nutrition will lead to MBD, which will be a heartbreaking end to this little girl. We see more of it than any other single problem.

HazelnutAcorn
06-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Is there a post on here about releasing them?

We had good results with Acorn, but that doesn't make us experts by any means. Hazelnut was also several weeks younger when we got her and not in the best health.

farrelli
06-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Here's a couple links:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?41071-SOFT-RELEASE-The-How-to-Sticky&highlight=soft+release+sticky

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?37688-Squirrel-Release-Process-and-Tips

HazelnutAcorn
06-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the post. I'm happy to say that we did exactly what is stated in those two posts when we released Acorn.

Hazelnut has been spending the daytime in her release cage for over a week.... though her cage is about 5-8 times bigger than what is pictured. We have small trees, large branches, stumps, etc. for her to play around on, but she comes in at night.

Her "nest" is concealed with branches and twigs... but her "blankie" has to be in it. What a cutie! She loves her security blanket.