PDA

View Full Version : soft release

manda'slilbuddyboy
05-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Any suggestions on a soft relase on a 9 month old tame baby boy?

island rehabber
05-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Can you give us a bit more info? Why are you releasing after nine months of age -- was he overwintered, or a pet who wants OUT, or another reason?
What is his condition -- healthy? Good coat? Can crack walnuts without assistance?
Do you have a strong soft release enclosure (raccoon-proof) already and a release site where he can find enough food and water and a minimum of predators?

Sorry for all the questions....just helps us to be more helpful to you. :)

manda'slilbuddyboy
05-25-2013, 03:04 PM
well he came to me late Aug early Sept as pinky ...once he became of age to release the cold nights had hit so my intention was to release in the spring time or when the weather was right yes ( over wintered) he became tame with being exercised inside the house through the long winter months , His cage (Large) has been outside since he started eating solids so hes use to the sounds and sights of the yard. His health was a concern as well while he was growing, wasnt sure about his sight and he would have neuro issues...his diet was everything that it should be and still is i have only witnessed 2 of the seizes ( hoping thats all that he has had) He has been checked by a wild life vet and deemed ok for release ....He has a great coat and fluffy tail, As far as nuts hes not really interested in cracking shells. I have a wild cherry tree and a walnut tree in the back yard as well as a small koi pond

Monipenny
05-25-2013, 05:20 PM
I have the same dilemma with my Daisy, she was a baby when I got her last August, my first squirrel I had over-wintered. I have had her outside off and on this month weather permitting, I had to bring her in a couple days ago with the cold spell we're having. About a week before this cold snap, I had been opening her door daily for her freedom, she has left her cage only half of those days and seems to rather stay in her cage even when I show her the way out. I can clearly see in her that she refuses to wild up and rather be inside. I only remember my first squirrel, a late winter born baby, I raised from a pinky years ago that never seemed to wild up as he always came to my door wanting in though he was happy sleeping outside.:dono My other squirrels left the nest like they should but happy to come to the patio for treats. It appears that some squirrels for whatever the reason never want their freedom no matter how tempting we present it for them. I have a lot of wonderful trees, Maple, oak, apple, even wild cherry and a good sized garden pond on one acre with another 10 acres next door. A squirrel heaven, though Daisy will go up into the trees I am concerned that she is not wilding up but I am giving her time. If she doesn't go by June 21st, I am going to have to swap her with Phillip in the RC to give him his chance to go free. These two were not raised together, not thinking they will do well in the same cage. The only suggestion I have is to give it time.

manda'slilbuddyboy
05-25-2013, 06:09 PM
I havnt tryed opening his cage door yet thinking that he may not know enough to come back or even get lost and not find my yard and he will go hungry etc.... its like this is the only life he knows with the meals and play time and attention,, im worried for him , iv given blood , sweat , and tears for this lil guy

SammysMom
05-25-2013, 06:15 PM
THe hardest part of soft release is withholding contact. Food and water only. It is how they separate you from their daily lives... Not easy, but really true...:shakehead

Monipenny
05-25-2013, 07:53 PM
THe hardest part of soft release is withholding contact. Food and water only. It is how they separate you from their daily lives... Not easy, but really true...:shakehead
Oh you're not kidding about that. It's hard not to say, "How's mama's baby girl?":Love_Icon

SammysMom
05-25-2013, 07:55 PM
:grouphug

farrelli
05-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Here's a thread with a bunch of suggestions:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37688

Monipenny
05-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Here's a thread with a bunch of suggestions:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37688
Thanks, this thread only had one comment with suggestions from one person. Was there suppose to be more comments/advice? The advice given there is exactly how I have been doing my release process with Daisy, hopefully she will take to the outdoors within the next couple of weeks as I will have another one ready to go by then. Oh I just love her so much, I think she knows it too.

Monipenny
05-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Manda, believe me, your little boy wont go far on his first day out and he will not forget his way back to his RC as he will return every evening until he has learned how to survive in the wild (as long as he is healthy). They are as apprehensive about going free as we are at letting them go. We have more worries and concern about them getting injured or taken by a predator than them finding their way back home. They adapt at their own pace, some take to the wild faster than others. Even when they have left our nest, most of them always stay close to home and come back sometimes daily for food and treats and to let us know how happy they are.

astra
05-25-2013, 09:52 PM
what everyone said.

one other thing:
when you say he is not interested in nuts, it's important to clarify:
1. he is not interested because he cannot crack them?
2. he is not interested because he does not like them, but he can still crack them?

if he cannot crack an in-shell nut (e.g., hazelnut), there might be a problem.

Also, what neuro-issues he has? are they gone?

island rehabber
05-25-2013, 10:06 PM
what everyone said.

one other thing:
when you say he is not interested in nuts, it's important to clarify:
1. he is not interested because he cannot crack them?
2. he is not interested because he does not like them, but he can still crack them?

if he cannot crack an in-shell nut (e.g., hazelnut), there might be a problem.

Also, what neuro-issues he has? are they gone?

astra has asked the same questions that I am thinking about. I'm concerned that you mentioned seizures -- when and how many and when was the last one he had? Are his teeth ok? Is he ABLE to crack nuts on his own?

manda'slilbuddyboy
05-26-2013, 12:04 PM
He can crack and eat postatios , loves his rodent black and corn on the cob, he will eat walnuts and pecans as well ( already shelled) its next to imposibal to find the nut still in the shell this time of year:( iv called so many health food stores. im thinking hes not intrested.. should i hold off on Releasing him untill i can track down some shells? im guessing i can order online through nut companies . fingers crossed .... his teeth are great , he naws on closepins holding things onto his cage , his wooden nesting box as well as cuttle bones and a deer antler. as far as his seziers, the last one that i saw him have was around 3 weeks ago ... the Dr said he may have just been a bad batch of babies with problems from the begining. :(

astra
05-26-2013, 04:44 PM
pistachios are nothing to crack, they are already half-cracked.
He should be able to crack hard shell nuts like hazelnuts.

Also, a seizure only 3 weeks ago - may mean he is still having them.
Don't think that's a good release situation.

Will let experts advise

Nancy in New York
05-26-2013, 04:54 PM
pistachios are nothing to crack, they are already half-cracked.
He should be able to crack hard shell nuts like hazelnuts.

Also, a seizure only 3 weeks ago - may mean he is still having them.
Don't think that's a good release situation.

Will let experts advise

I agree astra not a good idea right now until we get more of a handle on him.
Can you tell us what his diet was like and what formula he was raised on?
Oh by the way, I can send you some hard nuts for him to practice on, just pm me your address.

manda'slilbuddyboy
05-26-2013, 07:04 PM
esbalic puppy replacer...i wasnt aware of the foxvalley until after he started eating solids... once on solids he was eating cheerios , green beans, snap peas, apple, pear, corn on the cob, avocado, sweet potato , Rodent block, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds ( took them away after i read they are bad ) he also gets small amounts of cal tab in his water

Nancy in New York
05-26-2013, 07:11 PM
esbalic puppy replacer...i wasnt aware of the foxvalley until after he started eating solids... once on solids he was eating cheerios , green beans, snap peas, apple, pear, corn on the cob, avocado, sweet potato , Rodent block, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds ( took them away after i read they are bad ) he also gets small amounts of cal tab in his water

Have you checked out the healthy diet?
What kind of rodent block?
Leafy greens are really a good source of calcium.
Nix the corn.
The diet is questionable, no offense, we all started off
not knowing.
Fruit should be a treat not a daily choice.

When was his first seizure?
I'm only asking because one of the symptoms of MBD is seizures, so as much info as you can provide the better.
Please take a look at this link for healthy foods. He can eat an endless supply of choices from group 1 and 2.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39275

astra
05-26-2013, 07:14 PM
rodent block should come first on the list and in his daily menu.
What kind of block is it exactly? and how many per day is he eating?
also, he is really eating or crumbling and/or stashing?
Block should be the foundation of their daily menu once formula is no longer eaten.

Also, corn - should be a tiny treat once in a great while. It's as bad as seeds.

There seem to be no greens in this list. Does he eat any greens at all?

The diet is not very healthful at least depending on this list.
Such diet may exacerbate his neuro trauma.

It's good that you removed the seeds that it needs further tweaking.

I am sure experts will advise further.
EDIT: ok, never mind - one expert beat me already :)

manda'slilbuddyboy
05-26-2013, 07:43 PM
i have the food menu from the SB right on my fridge...he wont eat leafy greens at all iv even tryed grass inside his dirt dish...as far as the rodent blocks its the Ky tee i believe that they sell bulk at the pet store, he may be just stashing them its hard to tell though because his cage is so big and he has straw on the bottom so its a catch all..iv tryed almost everything on the list of foods and hes a very picky boy. do you recommend i take all the other foods out and only give him rodent block? the vet seemed to think i should ween him off the diet of fresh fruits and veggies and feed him what he will find out in the wild ...i know he can deff be eating more

manda'slilbuddyboy
05-26-2013, 07:49 PM
his first seizer was at 7 months old roughly

Nancy in New York
05-26-2013, 08:38 PM

OK this is what concerns me about release right now.
His diet is questionable. He should be eating HHB's (Homemade Squirrel Block) I get the kind for the picky eaters, and I think that would work best at this age, and him being picky.
Here's the site that you order the blocks. Hold off ordering them because I will send you some, and you can see if he will eat them.
http://henryspets.com/
The fact that he had his first seizure at 7 months old could be diet related, not sure.
Personally I would feel so much better if you could hold onto him a little while longer just to improve the diet, and get him more healthy.

This is what I can tell you in all certainty about release.....there are no absolutes.
I have overwinterd a squirrel and released at 9 months old and opened the release door, and he never looked back.
I currently have a squirrel from 2010 that is "released" (and I use this term loosely):D and he comes home every single night.

I am going to send you some hard nuts, and I will also include some HHB's. (Squirrel blocks) Let's see if we can improve his diet and keep him seizure free for a couple of months if that is something that you think you can do.
I hope he isn't too antsy and wouldn't mind staying for a while :dono

astra
05-26-2013, 08:42 PM
this sounds like MBD related seizure especially given his history of esbilac, weaning, and no block (b/c if you are not sure he is eating block, then, most likely he is not eating block).

They should never be weaned off formula, but allowed to eat it until they decide to wean themselves.

in order to teach him to eat block, yes - tough love is the way to go.
Block - first thing in am when he is the hugnriest.
After he eats some - greens.
Do not give anything until he starts at least nibbling on greens and eating block.
They won't let themselves starve.

HOWEVER< as I am typing this... I am thinking... if his seizures are related to poor diet.... MBD emergency treatment might be in order.

I am sure experts will advise on this.

So, keep checking here often for further expert instructions.

manda'slilbuddyboy
05-27-2013, 09:52 AM
ok this morning i only gave him Rodent block 13 squares seems he ate all but 3 ...unless he stashed , im going to change the bottom of his cage out today and ill see how much is laying there..... what kind of greens should be next? he wont touch bokchoy etc..

astra
05-27-2013, 12:58 PM
ok this morning i only gave him Rodent block 13 squares seems he ate all but 3 ...unless he stashed , im going to change the bottom of his cage out today and ill see how much is laying there..... what kind of greens should be next? he wont touch bokchoy etc..
Here is Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels ("pet" doesn't mean necessarily "pet" but any squirrel in captivity/rehab): http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39275

manda'slilbuddyboy
05-27-2013, 05:13 PM
i have that Pyramid on my Fridge and a copy to take shopping

Nancy in New York
05-27-2013, 05:18 PM
You can try the mixed greens in the package at the grocery store, the spring mix is what I use.
A favorite too is dandelions, chickory and arugala.
I believe that astra meant to try any of those that are on the chart, preferably from group 1. Once you see what they like, I usually stick with those, instead of giving a variety, that usually only ends up with me throwing things away, or Rich eating it....:D
That will explain the best to the "worst".

manda'slilbuddyboy
05-27-2013, 05:26 PM
I have been going by the menu for some time now and he wont eat alot thats on it :( he has his fav like avocado and blueberries ..he was loving pear and now really wont touch it...he will nibble on sweet pt and corn on the cob. as far as greens they just sit and wilt in his bowl:thinking

Nancy in New York
05-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Well he is at the age now where it may be really difficult to get him to eat them. IF you are going to release, I wouldn't be too concerned. I am putting a few blocks in with the nuts tomorrow. If you can get him to eat them, you are golden....so let's not be overly concerned with the greens right now.

manda'slilbuddyboy
05-27-2013, 05:40 PM
phewwwww good cause its like getting a kid to eat brussel sprouts lol

Nancy in New York
05-27-2013, 06:02 PM
phewwwww good cause its like getting a kid to eat brussel sprouts lol
Oh I know, but the main thing now is that he eats blocks......if you really limit the nut intake, he should eat these blocks as they have some pecans in them. :thumbsup

manda'slilbuddyboy
05-27-2013, 07:19 PM
ok..i was looking at the the ones you were telling me on the web site and they look really healthy, better than the ones im getting at the per store . I did also try the boo balls and he wouldnt touch them either ...spent so much money on the things needed in the recipe lol....its ok i eat healthy so it worked out( minus the baby food lol)

manda'slilbuddyboy
05-31-2013, 08:09 AM
He cracked a walnut and a pecan with little to no problem... Nancy Sent out some nuts and blocks...he nibbled on the blocks and didnt seem all that intrested......extreamly anxious to get out of his cage..he gets visiters through out the day on top of the cage and im thinking he has a girl friend that visits also :)