PDA

View Full Version : HORMONAL CHANGE OR PREGNANCY??

Trooper
05-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Dear Forum; I posted this question in another forum and got no responses. maybe here is the right place??: I released last November 2012, 3 female eastern grays. Two of them were twin sisters and they stayed in our backyard coming every day for lunch and supper.

Last week as I was handing some nuts to them I noticed that on both females twins, their mammary glands were somewhat enlarged from what they looked like a few weeks ago. I don't have photographs yet, but you can plainly see them when they sit to eat a nut. They look like small buds of pink/rose color and not black like those of mammies that already have had a litter.

My question is: since it happened to both the twins at nearly the same time, can this be related to hormonal change in their bodies and getting ready for mating or more direct; that they are both pregnant (or perhaps already nursing)???

As having squirrels has been an educational oddisey for me, my family and neighbors who sometimes drop in to see Trooper (my NR indoors) and the girls outside, they all are following their develpment with curiosity and awe and we were wondering what was going on.

Thanks for any answers!!

Trooper's dad :thankyou :thankyou

island rehabber
05-23-2013, 03:48 PM
hi Trooper. I'm the last one who should be answering this because I don't have a yard where i can observe females in the wild (I rehab, and then release in a remote location). BUT, I believe if you see pink nipples then these girls are nursing their babies: one or two, as it appears from your description. This is the right time of year for that, as well, since some babies are still only 6-7 weeks old now and definitely still nursing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, folks -- please!

astra
05-23-2013, 03:54 PM
hi Trooper. I'm the last one who should be answering this because I don't have a yard where i can observe females in the wild (I rehab, and then release in a remote location). BUT, I believe if you see pink nipples then these girls are nursing their babies: one or two, as it appears from your description. This is the right time of year for that, as well, since some babies are still only 6-7 weeks old now and definitely still nursing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, folks -- please!

:thumbsup :D

Trooper
05-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Astra and Island Rehaber: thank you for the confirmation. I thought so myself, but wasn't sure if perhaps the hormonal change of being "ready" for mating also brought upon an enlargement of their glands.

One thing I know for sure, they are both eating like pigs!! everything and anything I throw at them (rather hand it to them, they are very particular...) they will eat right there on the spot.

I give them a mix of fresh veggies and lots of nuts. I also supplement them with calcium-dissolved water (my own discovery) that is bioavailable without acidic environment and echinacea drops plus vitamins in their water.

Any other suggestion for the nursing period, like more of this or more of that food, etc. ??? they are very compliant so I could possibly give them anything it would be recomendable.

Thanks again :thankyou :thankyou

Trooper
05-30-2013, 01:46 PM

205200Well I finally was able to get a good picture of Scratchie and Runtie and by the looks of their nipples I can certainly state they have had babies and I am a proud grandpa. It feels so good seeing the fruits of one's effort to save the life of three little girls and now they are mommies the

mselves. Both Scratchie and Runtie come every night for energy recharging.

I wonder if there is any special natural treat that I can give them to boos their milk production (avocado, fresh corn, ???) I already supplement their calcium with dissolved calcium water and vitamins. They have a salt lick and plenty of fruits, veggies and nuts.

Any other suggestion???

here are some pics (sorry about the Mangie pictures, I got them loaded by mistake but I cannot find a way to remove them).

Sweet Simon's Mommy
05-30-2013, 01:52 PM
re sized

pappy1264
05-31-2013, 08:20 PM
Make sure to put out extra sources of water, nursing babies makes a girl very thirsty and hungry! So put out extra of everything!!! And congrats on becoming a grandsquarent!!!