PDA

View Full Version : Maple Copters

newsquirrelmommy
05-22-2013, 09:01 PM
I've been seeing recently a lot of people giving these to their squirrels. I have a nice maple tree with these in my yard but never knew I could give these to Squirt. How many do u give at once? Any nutritional value? And do they eat them or play with them? How would u store them if a lot can be picked at once? Also I notice white sticky sap when I break them apart, do they eat that part? Sorry for all the questions, just being a curious mommy and wanted to try something new for Squirt:D

keetz1205
05-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Yes, these are safe and I usually give a small handful. There are little tiny seeds inside where the copter breaks apart that they like. Once they get that the rest usually gets tossed by them. I pick tons of them, wash them and freeze them in a Ziploc bag. You should pick the green ones right from the tree.

SammysMom
05-22-2013, 09:11 PM
I let Sammy have as many as he wants. I give them to him on the branch and/or by themselves.
Tell Squirt Sammy says...ENJOY!!!:wahoo

newsquirrelmommy
05-23-2013, 06:26 AM
Awesome:multi I can't wait to pick these when I get home from work today. Squirt could use something new since he gets bored quick:D Wow I think I'm more excited than he probably will be:shakehead :D I always look for new things that I can give to him:thumbsup

pappy1264
05-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Oh yes, all my greys and my flyers get these...they are worth their weight in gold, they love them!!!

newsquirrelmommy
05-23-2013, 11:50 AM
So i couldnt wait til after work and went home on my lunch hour to break some helicopters off the tree. I gave them to Squirt and he absolutely lovvvveeeeedddd them!!!!:D :D :thumbsup

CrazySquirrelLady
05-23-2013, 12:30 PM
yay Squirt!

Monipenny
05-23-2013, 05:09 PM
I collected a bunch yesturday to store in the freezer for them.

newsquirrelmommy
05-23-2013, 05:47 PM
How big are the seeds that are in the middle? I just gave a few more and noticed nothing inside them?? The are completely flat. Are the ones i have not ready to be plucked yet or am i just not seeing the seeds?:thinking

farrelli
05-23-2013, 08:06 PM
I've always assumed that different types of maples produce different copters. Some are small and comes in pairs, some are big and flat, some are big and chunky.

newsquirrelmommy
05-23-2013, 08:44 PM
I've always assumed that different types of maples produce different copters. Some are small and comes in pairs, some are big and flat, some are big and chunky.

It seems I have big ones but flat ones:thinking I sure would like to get my hands on some chunky ones:D

farrelli
05-23-2013, 08:49 PM
I think you must have these:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_C06oNyc7e8/TnTkaU6UMuI/AAAAAAAAAMA/FD_oDN-zKfA/s1600/helicpter-seeds.jpg

And we also have these:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-abE9rgbfT4U/Tdh9mZREIHI/AAAAAAAAAJY/JV7ILasoMFU/s1600/Maple-seed.jpg

newsquirrelmommy
05-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Yup those are the green ones I have:D I see brown ones on the ground too but they're also flat. They dont look chunky like the brown one in the picture. Can they have brown ones?

farrelli
05-23-2013, 09:38 PM
I don;t see why not, but I'd prefer to get them off the tree or off cement if on the ground, to avoid bugs. If off the ground, you can peel them yourself and the pod part will probably be green and intact. Just make sure there aren't any bug holes.

newsquirrelmommy
05-24-2013, 05:09 AM
I don;t see why not, but I'd prefer to get them off the tree or off cement if on the ground, to avoid bugs. If off the ground, you can peel them yourself and the pod part will probably be green and intact. Just make sure there aren't any bug holes.

:thankyou for the info. I picked some green ones and put them in the freezer:D