PDA

View Full Version : A little concerned.

EmmasMummy
03-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Okay well, my little minnie is very plump, shes an aggressive eater (she pretty much attacks the syringe and eats it), and she crawls around the cage a bunch.

I am concerned about spike. He is very skinny. He eats the exact same as his sister, he weighs the same, but yet he isnt aggresive when it comes to eating like she is, and he would rather sleep than crawl aroud. I dont hear clicking in his breathing and all around he seems healthy. His sister also has a good bit of hair which he doesnt have as much.

Should i be concerned or do you think hes just smaller?

island rehabber
03-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Okay well, my little minnie is very plump, shes an aggressive eater (she pretty much attacks the syringe and eats it), and she crawls around the cage a bunch.

I am concerned about spike. He is very skinny. He eats the exact same as his sister, he weighs the same, but yet he isnt aggresive when it comes to eating like she is, and he would rather sleep than crawl aroud. I dont hear clicking in his breathing and all around he seems healthy. His sister also has a good bit of hair which he doesnt have as much.

Should i be concerned or do you think hes just smaller?

EM, how old are Minnie and Spike, and how much formula are they taking at each feeding?

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
03-12-2007, 05:05 PM
It is hard to tell. It sounds like he is just growing a little slower. Does he do the tongue wrap thing around the nipple, or no. If he does and he drinks everything you give him, there is no need to worry. I had a litter of three once where the two girls were a lot furrier than the little boy was and the boy was the smallest (he weighed 10 grams less than them) and he was fine. He drank his food very well though, but just because yours eats slower doesn't mean he is sick. Is it a struggle to get the full feeding into him, or does he want it all, just can't handle it fast?

squirrelfriend
03-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Is it possible to have an internal parasite?

island rehabber
03-12-2007, 05:49 PM
It could be an internal parasite....coccidia or giardia will cause baby squirrels to be "failure to thrive" babies, among other parasites.

Gabe
03-12-2007, 06:06 PM
I can certainly tell the difference in personalities between the sexes at that age. The females do seem more aggressive, but if you believe he is truly skinny, perhaps you could weight them daily and see how the weight gain averages out.

EmmasMummy
03-12-2007, 06:06 PM
He takes his food very well. They are about 4 weeks and both weigh about 86grams and take 4cc of formula. He seems to be gaining weight right along side his sister. It seems like he just looks small and isnt getting as much hair.

island rehabber
03-12-2007, 06:54 PM
He takes his food very well. They are about 4 weeks and both weigh about 86grams and take 4cc of formula. He seems to be gaining weight right along side his sister. It seems like he just looks small and isnt getting as much hair.

EM, if he's truly the same weight and everything looks OK -- peeing, pooping, gaining weight, etc.....I would not worry. He may just be a runty boy like my LB and Rippie's Preston, and he'll be fine. Watch out for dehydration, diarrhea or respiratory distress. That would mean there are other reasons why he is smaller. But if everything looks OK I wouldn't worry.

thundersquirrel
03-12-2007, 09:52 PM
i think female squirrels are just born a little aggressive towards male squirrels. they need to be bossy to kick any boy houseguests out of the nest when the weather gets warm and they're looking to make babies.

we once had one boy out of four squirrels, and he was very runty. they would hiss at him and make him sleep alone. we would just give him extra treats on the sly and watch to make sure they never injured him.

EmmasMummy
03-13-2007, 02:22 AM
TS, awe poor little boy, that makes me feel bad for him having to sleep alone. lol

island rehabber
03-13-2007, 06:51 AM
It's true EM, what TS said -- I've had fewer females than males in for rehab -- the ratio is like one female to five males -- so I remember the girls very clearly. Every one of them was dominant. I've had dominant boys (Roadie) and sweet cuddly boys (Nero or LB) but ALL the girls were, well, like Klingon women!! :D :eek:

thundersquirrel
03-13-2007, 12:03 PM
women of the amazon, pretty much. lol. and those adult ladies are no walk in the park either. geesh! :D

island rehabber
03-13-2007, 12:10 PM
women of the amazon, pretty much. lol. and those adult ladies are no walk in the park either. geesh! :D

oh, pleeeze! We made the mistake of putting Sheila in a traveling cage with her brothers on release day -- she nearly tore them up in two seconds. NRBF grabbed her and put her back in with Roadie and HE dived into the nestbox SO fast.... little witch! .:shakehead

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
03-13-2007, 12:17 PM
That is weird that you have so many more males than females. I have had 3 litters of 2 girls and 1 boy and last year at the center there were about 25 squirrels and only 2 were males. There always seem to be so many more females than males. The females do seem more agressive though. My boys are always very playful but the girls seem serious. I did have a playful girl last year (Stretch) one of my black squirrels.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
03-13-2007, 12:19 PM
:D This is funny neither on of my girls were dominent. Poor Little Girls she couldnt wait to get away from her brother and start her own life, Rippie drove her nuts!!! Picking and horsing around all the time..I can picture him a character in Bravos book. And Jasmine (second girl)was a good girl. Just thinking about this my next girl could turn out to be miss bossy!!:tilt I have been lucky all my squirrels have been sweet (a little devilish too).
My boys are always very playful but the girls seem serious yes exactly.