PDA

View Full Version : Decide to move in on my balcony

mintsiez
05-18-2013, 09:04 AM
so i live in a 5th floor apartment and a mother squirrel has decided to have her babies on my balcony is there a safe way to make them vacate or will they eventually leave on there own ? i have no problem with them being around im just worried that them may damage my unit out there

mintsiez
05-18-2013, 09:08 AM
i should add that the babies have there eyes open and are free moving around

ques96
05-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Once they are old enough they will vacate. Maybe if you could give them some tree branches and things to chew on they would do no harm to your balcony.

quagmire
05-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Hi.

If you want them to vacate, I would avoid feeding them, unless they are in distress. Mom squirrel will be taking care of them unless something happens to her. Giving them some branches is a good idea, that way they won't chew on your balcony which I guess is made of wood.

How long ago were they born? If they are walking around, does your balcony have a gap at the bottom of the railing? That may be bad for the babies. Until they are big enough to know how they are moving around sudden drop offs are bad. You may want to block the bottom of your railing if it does have a gap between the floor and the railing bottom for the short term (a few weeks).

Are you friends with the mom? If she is protective of the babies, you may have to wait until she leaves for her feeding before you try to place branches out there. Good Luck.

mintsiez
05-18-2013, 11:07 AM
the balcony is all cement so no worry there the mother seems to be warming up to me but i would not chance going out there with her there.there nest is in a wooden planter box i don't really care if they chew that up its just window moulding etc im sorta worried about.there almost the size of there mother

farrelli
05-18-2013, 02:04 PM
If either of those are the babies, they should be moving along in the next few weeks. I don't think they'll chew your molding as long as it's not part of the nest, but branches are a good idea. Please let them stay put if you can. You'll probably even end up loving this little family!

mintsiez
05-18-2013, 02:41 PM
If either of those are the babies, they should be moving along in the next few weeks. I don't think they'll chew your molding as long as it's not part of the nest, but branches are a good idea. Please let them stay put if you can. You'll probably even end up loving this little family!

i dont really have any plans on making them vacate as long as they dont damage my unit and arnt going to make this there permeant home its kinda nice seeing them play out there

quagmire
05-18-2013, 08:34 PM
They are cute. I hope it all works out for everyone :thumbsup

Unikorngrrl
05-18-2013, 08:37 PM
You move here and I'll move in your place! Wish I had babies on my balcony!! Lucky duck you!!! :Welcome to TSB!!!!!!!

Monipenny
05-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Can you place a bowl of water out there for them, I imagine the babies are not nursing any longer. Welcome to the Squirrel board.

mintsiez
05-22-2013, 11:39 AM
hey they have left on there own :) not going to lie i kinda miss the little guys

farrelli
05-22-2013, 11:55 AM
One of them might come back when he's looking for a place of his own.