PDA

View Full Version : MBD - she crashed

G0dn0te
05-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Hello. Unfortunately recently I had learned the wrong path of food to feed my beloved Flyer, and ended up over dosing on minerals, and giving no protein or calcium supplements, as she chewed up her calcium blocks/her cuttle bone.

I walked into her room to find her hanging on by one paw, and I caught her just before she could fall. I then called Mrs. Skul.

Mrs. Skul was very amazing to help me through the long hours last night, and I managed to get her re-hydrated, as well as give her a mixture of the foxvalley formula (something i had not been doing for awhile) and I also got some tums mixture in her as well as pedialyte which I made following a recipe on here.

She's still pretty down-trod and weak, but I'm managing to keep her warm (I have a heating pad under her cage, not to mention the room she is in is on the warmer side) and I got her to eat some more. Now it's just a game of getting what she needs, and keeping an eye on her.

So I'm not really sure if this belongs here or not.

Also, Mrs. Skul recommended I ask Jackie or someone for a picture of what flyer teeth length should look like?

Thank you all, and I plan to stay on the board this time and truly get it right...

Jackie in Tampa
05-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Hello. Unfortunately recently I had learned the wrong path of food to feed my beloved Flyer, and ended up over dosing on minerals, and giving no protein or calcium supplements, as she chewed up her calcium blocks/her cuttle bone.

I walked into her room to find her hanging on by one paw, and I caught her just before she could fall. I then called Mrs. Skul.

Mrs. Skul was very amazing to help me through the long hours last night, and I managed to get her re-hydrated, as well as give her a mixture of the foxvalley formula (something i had not been doing for awhile) and I also got some tums mixture in her as well as pedialyte which I made following a recipe on here.

She's still pretty down-trod and weak, but I'm managing to keep her warm (I have a heating pad under her cage, not to mention the room she is in is on the warmer side) and I got her to eat some more. Now it's just a game of getting what she needs, and keeping an eye on her.

So I'm not really sure if this belongs here or not.

Also, Mrs. Skul recommended I ask Jackie or someone for a picture of what flyer teeth length should look like?

Thank you all, and I plan to stay on the board this time and truly get it right...ideally best to focus on small doses of calcium thru out the day consistantly..
I do have a pic of one of my flyers teeth from eons ago... will have to find it or wake one up..:D
I know,,,, MrsSkul:Love_Icon

G0dn0te
05-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks! I'm continuing the switching back and forth of the foxvalley and the calcium. I have to get some calcium pills with Vitamin D3 later as well.

That would be great. Thank you miss Jackie.

stepnstone
05-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Mrs. Skul was very amazing to help me through the long hours last night,

For all the wrong moves, you made a good move... :thumbsup
Experience is a teacher, please listen to everything you are told!
Do not deviate, do not compromise.

Praying for the best for you and your little one. :grouphug

Jackie in Tampa
05-17-2013, 11:08 AM
usually, and someone correct me if I am wrong... but it is NOT advised to buy human cal and D vits... the ratio is all wrong... best to let the Fv and or mushrooms be the D for now... you can use calcium tablets , citrate or carbonate instead of the TUMs in the treatment... and after we have good cal blood levels and see progress with fur, movement and brain functions... I would advise HHBs and the healthy diet recommended for flyers... yep...
I do not have any pet flyers but have rehabbed over 100...
i beg them to leave, but they won't/don't .... so I am still feeding roughy 60 every night... they are living as wilds but not in the trees unsupported as I would l;ike for them to be... they are mooches and sponges and return to the gazebo for freebies... flying monsters!:D
me and motel 6:shakehead

stepnstone
05-17-2013, 11:13 AM
they are mooches and sponges and return to the gazebo for freebies... flying monsters!:D
me and motel 6:shakehead
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

G0dn0te
05-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Okay. I know Mrs. Skul recomended if we had some to try those, because Tink is the pickiest eater.... But maybe I didn't hear her right... (I was up talking on and off with her until 5:30 am until I went to be and got 4 hours of sleep in all. :D Yay for coffee!!!)

Jackie in Tampa
05-17-2013, 11:22 AM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34495

this is the link to the MBD treatment..
a flyer is less body mass, so using a max of 300mg of cal throughout the day is what I would advise.
follow this to a T..
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39275
here is the link to the healthy diet... I use this for greys and flyers.. I add yogurt, dry oatmeal, sunflower seeds or non treated/vitamin'd seed mix...the good stuff, ot the walmart generic crudey kind, chicken chips or another form of protien {freeze dried chicken, chicken bones, meal worms, jarred chicken baby food} natural peanut butter, sometimes stale kashi cereal..for my flyers.:thumbsup
hope to see pics soon of a fat happy wee flying monster!!!

G0dn0te
05-17-2013, 11:24 AM
At 10:30 I got her to take 1cc of Tums water, then at 12:00 I got her to take 1cc of foxvalley. She was also out of her box that I had put in a smaller cage with fleece on the bottom, so that means she was out and scampering about...

G0dn0te
05-17-2013, 11:26 AM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34495

this is the link to the MBD treatment..
a flyer is less body mass, so using a max of 300mg of cal throughout the day is what I would advise.
follow this to a T..
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39275
here is the link to the healthy diet... I use this for greys and flyers.. I add yogurt, dry oatmeal, sunflower seeds or non treated/vitamin'd seed mix...the good stuff, ot the walmart generic crudey kind, chicken chips or another form of protien {freeze dried chicken, chicken bones, meal worms, jarred chicken baby food} natural peanut butter, sometimes stale kashi cereal..for my flyers.:thumbsup
hope to see pics soon of a fat happy wee flying monster!!!

How do I measure the Mgs? I'm not quite sure...

Jackie in Tampa
05-17-2013, 11:27 AM
do you have the amount {mg} of calcium per 1 cc that you are giving?
what strength tums did you use...most are 750s

how much water did you add/ in mls?
PS... just nmde egg salad, so they will also be having egg shells tonight...

G0dn0te
05-17-2013, 11:34 AM
They are 750 strength, I use roughly a quarter to a half teaspoon of water, let it settle, then suck up the dissolved tums and then push some extra water out so the tums is like a toothpaste consistency, and give that to her 1 cc at a time...

Unfortunately I don't know how to measure the Mgs in the actual amount I've given her... but there are 600 mgs of calcium in the actual tums, and using 1 whole tum crushing it up giving some to her every four hours or so...

Uhm...?

Jackie in Tampa
05-17-2013, 12:04 PM
do you have a syringe with legible markings?
what cc size is it?

G0dn0te
05-17-2013, 12:06 PM
The readings are slightly rubbed off but it's .01, .02, etc.

I found a scale that measures tenths of a gram so I know I can use that. I'm going to be going out in an hour and purchasing a better syringe that measures CCs and mls as well.

And I remembered when I used it last when I had to help her back they were ccs by .01 and .02, etc....

Jackie in Tampa
05-17-2013, 12:11 PM
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/Bronx%20Babies%202012/DSC_0177-001.jpg
disreguard all the text on pic.. I just needed to grab a pic quickly...
is your syringe this size?

G0dn0te
05-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Yes it is. That's the size and the spacing between the ccs as well... Is that correct

G0dn0te
05-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Also, she climbed out of her box and is laying on my pants that I put inside the cage. Should I let her sleep where she decides, or should I put her back inside the box?

G0dn0te
05-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Here is the syringe.

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/G0dn0te/syringe1.jpg

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/G0dn0te/syringe2.jpg

Jackie in Tampa
05-17-2013, 01:09 PM
that is a .5ml or .5cc syringe:thumbsup

crush one 750 tums
add 10 of those syringes of tap water
or one teaspoons {almost 5cc/ml}
to make 60mgs of calcium in each one of your syringes full..
or 120mg/ml
so you would need to give her approx 2.5mls of mixture in 24 hours..
so one syringe full {.5ml} every 5 hours
squeezing and juggling the Fv feedings in there as well..
but you get the jist...

Mrs Skul
05-17-2013, 10:25 PM
:sad
RIP
Sweet Little Tinkerbell
Saddly Little Tinkerbell Passed away earlier this afternoon.
:grouphug I am so sorry Sarah & Sharon.:grouphug
:Love_Icon I know you Love Little Tinkerbell Dearly. :Love_Icon
I will keep you both in my Prayers.
I'm Sorry for your Loss.
:Cry

Unikorngrrl
05-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Sharing your pain and holding you in my heart! I'm SO terribly sorry for your loss...

Nancy in New York
05-17-2013, 11:00 PM
I am so very sorry to hear this.
Sleep in the arms of angels sweet Tinkerbell. 204149

SammysMom
05-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Godspeed sweet Tinkerbell...:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Shewhosweptforest
05-18-2013, 12:01 AM
:Cry sooo sorry:shakehead I know there are no words now to help...but know we all share your pain and grief and cry with you:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

Jackie in Tampa
05-18-2013, 06:13 AM
Rest in Peace Sweet Tinkerbell..
I am so sorry for your loss.