PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Southwest GA area

misswookins
05-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Hi, all! Have used this site for reference many times over the years, so thanks to all of you!

In a nutshell: I have past experience rescuing and would like to do it again.

I love all squirrels but flyers are my heart. :Love_Icon
Just wanted to see if there was a need in my area - Southwest Ga,
and to see if anyone knows of any flyer babies that need a helping hand/loving home :)

Thanks!

Milo's Mom
05-16-2013, 01:07 PM
:wave123 & :Welcome to TSB!!

We've got rescue's going on all over the place all of the time. So hang around and I'm sure at some point there will be a need in your area.

Until then, how about you tell us a little more about your past rescues. We really like stories and we LOVE pictures. There is no such thing as too many pictures around here.

Jackie in Tampa
05-17-2013, 05:43 AM
:Welcome :wave123

Charley Chuckles
05-17-2013, 05:49 AM
Welcome aboard TSB :Welcome
I am sure there will be plenty for you to help, baby season is here :D :thankyou

Unikorngrrl
05-17-2013, 09:29 AM
HI!! :Welcome You're close to me most likely!! I know Georgia has a wildlife class and permit you can get rather easily from what I gathered from my friend Casey when I was living in Atlanta. You should look into it! :wave123

misswookins
05-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Thanks, everyone!
I have a new laptop so it is taking a bit longer to access pics, but I do have a few of my favorites I can pull off of my Twitter :)

But first, my story...
I am known locally as an all around animal lover. I have been the go-to for many (family, friends and friends of friends) when an animal needed a home. All of our animals have been rescues of either this type or adoption from a shelter/vet.
One day I got a call from a friend asking if I would be interested in helping her with some baby squirrels she had rescued. She had 3 and the around- the-clock care was getting to be too much for her at the time. I told her that I had never had any experience with squirrels but that I was up for the challenge. I crammed like I was studying for a final and printed as much as I could research (this site helped a lot!) and then met her to pick up my newest fuzzy friend. I remember being amazed at how adorable and how small she was. She was engulfed in an ankle sock. So cute and snuggly. We named her Shamala, a family name. Feeding was definitely the most challenging of all, trying to avoid her aspirating. Very stressful but soon enough it got easier and it's a good thing because just a few short weeks later, another friend showed up at my house with a baby squirrel from his neighborhood that he saved from a group of kids chasing it with sticks!:soapbox

He knew of my new adventure and so knew where this little one would be safe. Ironically Jasper (as we named him) seemed about the same age as Shamala. They bonded perfectly and grew quickly and beautifully into the best of friends. Soon they were zipping around the house, leaping from each piece of furniture to the next. If someone walked through they would freeze and run to me, like I was home base. I knew that I would miss them, but knew how happy they would be in the trees, running and playing to their hearts' content, so I knew that even though I would be sad, it was best in this situation to release. Seeing them run and leap farther than they ever could inside made it all worth it. :)
So with that I developed a new appreciation and love of squirrels. But nothing prepared me for the little one who would totally steal my heart.
The first friend above (that introduced me to squirrel care)called to say that she saw on Facebook that someone had found a flying squirrel and didn't want to let it die but didn't know how to care for it and couldn't keep it even if she did, so was I interested? Like before, I had to admit knowing nothing on the subject (this time about flying squirrels). To be honest I did not even realize we had them in our area. Still, this little guy needed help so I agreed. I again "hit the books" (this site and a few others) and quickly printed off as much as I could. Fortunately had some FV left but this little guy needed Pedialyte first. I remember almost laughing out loud at how big his head was compared to his body. :) We almost named him Big Head but instead decided on Wookins (another family term of endearment). Bonding was not a problem. He stayed in my shirt almost around the clock. Oh my how this little funny-looking guy stole my heart. He became my constant sidekick and went everywhere with me - work, church, the store, even vacations. It is so funny that kids (and even adults) would stop me wherever I would be and ask if they could see him since they knew I had him with me. He was a pretty social guy but would always dash back into my shirt when he was done.:) Speaking of social, he was a star at a local animal costume contest one year. See picture of "Super Squirrel" attached.
He loved to run and jump all around and I loved when he would "fly" to me after a few minutes of exploring, as if to say, that was fun but now, "honey, I'm home".:) Another favorite thing was how he looked at me. He would just gaze at me adoringly. I mean, there is a squirrel sitting still in my hand and just looking at me! That is crazy. (See picture of this below as well)
When I was cleaning, he would always make me laugh because of all the places I would find that he had stashed a treat at some previous playtime. He was determined, too. He would constantly try to make it from the top of the book shelf to the ceiling fan pull (don't worry - fan was always off:). It was just a little out of his reach, so I added a longer pull string and he could do it. He seemed so proud of himself. And then there were all the times we'd be watching tv and all of a sudden you see a flying squirrel glide across your view. :)
He was my best bud until he died just after turning 6. I miss him so and know that no one can replace him. I mean, I know that everyone thinks their baby is special, so I am sure I am biased, but this guy was just unbelievable. Despite all the many pets I have had over the years, I have never had a pet so loving and with such a special bond with me.

Like I said, I am happy to help with any squirrels in need, but my heart is longing for a flyer to love :Love_Icon

So as you can see, I don't have a lot of experience as many of you do. I don't know it all and don't pretend to. I hope to continue to learn and have more experiences. Thanks to you all for your help over the years, even though you probably don't hear from many of the people you help, please know that you do make a difference.

Brinnygirl
05-18-2013, 07:49 AM
:Welcome
I am new too but I have had several squirrels and I recently acquired a baby Eastern Grey. Good luck and we love pics!

toybox
05-19-2013, 11:33 AM
tinfoil (Large bow from the waist.)
Hi from just below you (Northwest Fla)!
Loved your baby squirrel pics.. I haven't fostered any (yet); for right now I'm known as Toybox because I build crazy feeders and treasure boxes for fun. One day we may foster a wayward squirrel or two.
Good luck to you. Welcome to the board!
PS.. I'm about to "unvail" my latest crazy box.. Suggested by Sid'sMommy
(Over in the Cages, nestboxes, suppliers, materials and ideas, Section.)
In the meantime here are some of my older ones :wave123

toybox's#1daughter
05-20-2013, 07:20 PM
OMG!!! HE'S ADORABLE!:Love_Icon mjs

HRT4SQRLS
05-20-2013, 07:40 PM
:wave123 misswookins
:Welcome to TSB

Your Wookin ... how adorable. :Love_Icon They sure can capture your heart can't they. :Love_Icon I have two flyer boys myself.

Just so you know, you have far more experience with squirrels than most people that come here as new members. :thumbsup By all means hang around. Flyers come up all the time needing a home. You might also check Craigslist. CL flyers come up frequently and they are usually living in deplorable conditions with poor diets and NEED someone to rescue them. They need you ... just like you need them. Welcome aboard!

PS I loved the flyer cape. Clever and adorable.:D

misswookins
05-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks so much, everyone!

Toybox, Love the awesome feeders. Talk about creative!

HRT4SQRLS, Thanks! The cape was created by my daughter. She is very crafty. And thanks for the great tip about Craigslist. Unfortunately we don't have much of one locally but there are some bigger markets within a few hours and I will check them. In the mean time, if anyone sees a baby in GA or eastern Alabama or north to mid FL, let me know. We travel to FL (Daytona area) and also North GA (Atlanta area) fairly often.

Missing my sweetheart!

misswookins
05-22-2013, 03:15 PM
No luck on CL today. Will try again tomorrow. :)
Have a great night!