PDA

View Full Version : Please help!

RockyRoad
05-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Please help! I need real answers to the questions below within the next week and a half so I don't end up doing something wrong! People with experience with older male squirrels (2+ years) please reply!

I have a male squirrel, Rocky, he is 2 years 10 months old. He fell out of a tree before his eyes opened as a baby and I've raised him ever since. He has always been loving and playful, even has a cuddle time before bed every night. He has been handled since birth by myself, my mom and my dad but I am his primary.
Just this past week my sweet boy out of nowhere attacked my dad, my mom and myself. He's only bit me once before and that was when I was cleaning his cage and found his stash. This was not a scared or territorial bite. I'm assuming that his random turn on us is because its mating season.
My questions are, because he has never been aggressive like this to me before and assuming its because its mating season, would anyone suggest having him neutered? Would this fix the problem? If it is due to mating season how long does the aggression last? If I do neuter and the attacks don't stop will the wildlife refuge still train and release him or just put him down? I have a vet that says it would help and made an apt for him in two weeks so I'm hoping for help before then. Is there anyone who has had the same experience that fixing has helped? I don't want to neuter him for no reason, and didn't want to at all, but the 4 deep bites on my hand tell me I need to. I'm scared to even let him out of his cage at the moment let alone handle him.

SammysMom
05-14-2013, 11:20 PM
NO neutering! It would render him totally unreleasable and wouldn't help the problem. Check everywhere to see if he has a stash that you don't know about. It may be nut related rather than season. It may be time to consider a soft release.

astra
05-14-2013, 11:26 PM
what SammysMom said.

Will also add that if a squirrel starts wilding up, it starts wilding up.

Biting and aggression have to do with a squirrel's personality and many more things than just hormones.
Neutering rarely gets rid of the aggression and biting. And when it seems to do that, it is mostly because a squirrel was already on a mellower side.

No neutering can get the wild little prey animal nature out of a squirrel.
That's one of the main reasons squirrels do not make good pets and experienced rehabbers keep repeating that over and over again.

It's normal for a squirrel to wild up and to accept only one person.
This may start earlier, or later, but when it starts - you just have to accept it.
Neutering will not change that.

Can he be released?

If from this moment on he will start accepting only you - that's something to get used to.

This could also pass, too, and he may be back to normal.

but the bottom line is - whatever is to come cannot be changed by neutering.

Check stashes
Check scents - new shampoos, perfumes? laundry detergent?

Rhapsody
05-14-2013, 11:39 PM
I agree with the other two post..... Neutering him is NOT going to help.

farrelli
05-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Neutering is bad and would render him unreleasable, if he is indeed releasable, especially at his age.

Most squirrels tend to really bond to one or two people, the rest are either grudgingly accepted or despised.

Orders, changes in environment, stashes, sounds, etc. can cause erratic behavior.

If it is mating season, at least in females it can last a day, it can last for weeks. You really have to wait it out to see if its a passing mood or a permanent change. We've seen a lot of people brought to tears and totally wrecked thinking that they lost their baby, but they usually seem to return to their sweet selves (or close thereto) when the season has passed or the cause of the environmental change has been found and fixed.

farrelli
05-15-2013, 12:17 AM
Btw, there is a good chance that they'd put him down so you'd really have to research the heck out of any place and make totally sure that they wouldn't do that. But, I really hope that you work with this guy and don't just bail on him because he's being unpredictable, he is a wild animal and this kind what you sign up for when you take one on.

If it comes to finding him another home though, we might be able to help you with that.

And absolutely, positively do not just drop him outside to make it on his own. That would end very badly.

trueblue
05-15-2013, 12:52 AM
Hi RockyRoad,

My squirrel True was almost 2 years old when his behavior became a bit more agressive at times. I think it was related to his age and mating. Please dont take what I say as expert in any way; True was my first and only squirrel... but I learned to predict his behavior pretty well by taking time and carefully watching for signs... my squirrel for example was on a schedule of activities so to speak... around this age when he first would awake and be ready to eat and face the day, he would get snappish...and I learned this and gave him space, but given a bit of time he would then settle down and would want to play with me. I could tell by his body language... So really start associating patterns of behavior and signs related to his mood. Some of it might be trial and error at first, but I found this to be very helpful. Also helpful with my guy was stuffed animal toys - when he got rowdy he would wrestle wth them & it would eventually turn to play where I could be included. There were times I also put them between us when I wasnt sure of his behavior. How he responded to his animals gave me insight.

RockyRoad
05-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I just want to say I do not want to neuter him. I do not want to get rid of him because I don't think he'd make it.
I know he'll turn on others and accept only me. That started happening when he was around 8 months. He only tolerates my parents because they feed him when I'm gone.
Let me ask a more specific question that I can't seem to find answers on.
Anyone who has on older male squirrel, when they have gotten aggressive ONLY during the spring how long did that last for? I'm mostly looking for right now how long the frustration of mating season will last that I have to look forward to.

Trueblue, I would like to hear your experience with this.

CrazySquirrelLady
05-15-2013, 10:36 AM
I doubt a squirrel that old would be releaseable.

?? can someone else chime in here? If he is not releaseable, then maybe neutering is not such a bad thing?

I am curious what others think. I am just speculating here.

trueblue
05-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I just want to say I do not want to neuter him. I do not want to get rid of him because I don't think he'd make it.
I know he'll turn on others and accept only me. That started happening when he was around 8 months. He only tolerates my parents because they feed him when I'm gone.
Let me ask a more specific question that I can't seem to find answers on.
Anyone who has on older male squirrel, when they have gotten aggressive ONLY during the spring how long did that last for? I'm mostly looking for right now how long the frustration of mating season will last that I have to look forward to.

Trueblue, I would like to hear your experience with this.

Hi RockyRoad,

With my boy, I would say it was maybe three weeks or so. My situation is a little different... so I dont know how it complicates things... I found my little boy as an infant, and had planned to release him when he was old enough. So I went through steps to get him to that point, but my boy decided he wanted to be an indoor/outdoor squirrel. So by the time this behavior started, he was on a schedule where he would go out in the morning, and usually come home before dusk. He did this for a year, and sometimes he would stay out for a few days and come home, once he was gone for over two weeks, sometimes he would be waiting to come in by the door, or when I went out to call him before dusk if he wanted to come in then he would make his way through the trees and arrive on the deck ready for snacks and to head in for the night. SO.. Im not sure what impact being outdoors had on his situation. In a way I assume it allowed him to release frustration as he got on well with the other squirrels, had a nest built in a tree, etc. BUT I would also think it made him more wild in a way, and he was wild when he was out in the trees (that is the only times I was ever bit by him). But once he came in then he was playful and friendly, except there were certain times like I mentioned when he first woke up, or a few times when he got way into hiding nuts in the house, etc. But the agression always seemed to relate to the mating season.... It was in the Winter mating season that he went out and did not return to me. My hope is that he took up with a squirrel, but I also fear something happened to him out there. Its been about 16 months now since Ive seen him. so all that just to explain I dont know what impact indoor/outdoor had vs. totally indoor.

My squirrel was pretty centered around me also. I worried he might be attracted to stangers if they met him outside, but for the year he was out he never would approach any friends, or other family members. It was only me he would come to when outside. Although if he was waiting at the door to the house, then he would let someone else open the door and he would come in as usual and go to his space in the house on his own.

I do so hope things work out with your boys behavior. I could never imagine having to part with my little one if he had not made the choice himself. I know he was very capable, but still so hard worrying about him out there in the wilds.

RockyRoad
05-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Wow trueblue! That would be hard not to see him come back. What a great relationship to have with a tiny critter tho! I tried to take Rocky outside before feeling bad him being locked in a house all the time and he freaked out running on my shoulders until I took him inside. It's good to hear that you only seemed to have an issue during mating season. I think he's just "frustrated". I left him in his cage for almost 2 days because he was clicking at me then last night he just sat there waiting when I got home from work like he normally does so I cautiously let him out and he jumped on my shoulder and hugged my hand and would not let go. Back to his sweet self. I think he missed me as much as I missed him in just one day.

farrelli
05-16-2013, 02:42 PM
It is a very bad idea to take a squirrel outside who has not been prepared for it through the soft release process. They can get spooked and run off but not know how to survive or even find their way back home.

I'm glad that he's acting better now.

trueblue
05-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Wow trueblue! That would be hard not to see him come back. What a great relationship to have with a tiny critter tho! I tried to take Rocky outside before feeling bad him being locked in a house all the time and he freaked out running on my shoulders until I took him inside. It's good to hear that you only seemed to have an issue during mating season. I think he's just "frustrated". I left him in his cage for almost 2 days because he was clicking at me then last night he just sat there waiting when I got home from work like he normally does so I cautiously let him out and he jumped on my shoulder and hugged my hand and would not let go. Back to his sweet self. I think he missed me as much as I missed him in just one day.

Such good news RockyRoad.... Im so glad you were able to spend time together. I know it is scary when they get agressive, but hopefully it is just temporary with your boy. It is amazing the friendships we form, and YES they LOVE us as just as we LOVE them. It has been so very hard having my True Squirrel leave. The worst is not knowing.... it still is a very sharp loss for me. When I was planning to release my boy, and I first took him out it was inside a large kennel that was so big I could get in it also. He was scared too and climbed on me, and back in we went. LOL I wouldnt risk taking him out because a loud noise, or a quick move and up a tree he would go. The world is so big, he could go so far so quickly and get lost. The first night True stayed fully outdoors as planned, I about had a nervous breakdown ! Got up early the next morning and he was in a tree and finally came to me. He went in and slept for a good 16 hours. I would just focus on making his indoor environment fun and playful and my guess is he will love it and not miss the outdoors. If I had my True back Id build him a castle to keep him safe and happy with me. lol but true....

Keep us posted !