PDA

View Full Version : Found 3 baby flyers- 2 of them don't look so good!

Earth Mama
05-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Found 3 baby flyers, trying to save them! 2 of them weigh 7.4 grams and 3rd is 8.5. The small boy has what appears to be an infected penis, I applied ointment and have been soaking. I've had them for a few days now, did 24 hour re hydration with pedialyte and started them on esbilac ( now I am seeing this isn't good for them?) Antibiotics will arrive tomorrow or the next day ( albon). The 2 smaller ones have perked up some since we found them but still seem wrinkly and lethargic. Can you give children's premixed ( pink) cephalexin to them or no? They were injured when we found them ( splinters somehow). We live in a VERY secluded area and there are no rehabbers around here experienced with flyers. They seem very small for what I would estimate their age to be, eyes closed but getting brown/dark fur, pink bellies with white fuzz just starting. I think they are 2 to 3 weeks. Any advice for me? I will do whatever it takes to save these babies!

Earth Mama
05-14-2013, 05:09 PM
I would post pics, but not sure how! I am new here.

Shewhosweptforest
05-14-2013, 05:35 PM
:wave123 FuzzyMama and:Welcome you have found the right place I will PM one of our flyer people to take a look at your post:thumbsup :thumbsup

pappy1264
05-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Fuzzymom, where are you located?

SammysMom
05-14-2013, 05:40 PM
You can email pics to me at vfwpost7666@sbcglobal.net and I will post them for you.
Can you get goats milk, full fat yogurt and heavy cream? You can make a healthier formula for them.

Earth Mama
05-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Thank you so much! 2 of them had large splinters going through them ( we removed them) and gently washed and dabbed wounds with anti ointment. I also have some other meds on hand- metronidazole, prednisone and doxycyclene, children's ibuprofen. Ironically, the one with the worst initial wound is the healthiest one.

SammysMom
05-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Where on their bodies were the splinters?

Earth Mama
05-14-2013, 06:16 PM
One was going through her back, 4 puncture wounds- but superficial flesh wound- it was an inch long ( the splinter, not the wound). There were several others that were smaller in all of them, none hitting organs or anything and don't look infected. I can't possibly imagine how they could have gotten like that... if we weren't so secluded I would have said someone did it to them. I will get the supplies to make the goats milk formula tomorrow morning. My husband has experience rehabbing reptiles and birds, but not squirrels -and I have experience rehabbing humans lol.

SammysMom
05-14-2013, 06:23 PM
There are a lot of us here in NE. Where are you? No need to be specific, just state and county. We may be able to help with supplies or info.

Earth Mama
05-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Maine in the mountains of somerset

Earth Mama
05-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Is the exact recipe for the goats milk formula on here? I have someone bringing the ingredients to me tonight. Thanks for the help guys :):thankyou

pappy1264
05-14-2013, 06:53 PM
You can get the goats milk at the grocery store. You can freeze it in cubes and pull it out to mix as you need it, so it doesn't spoil. Wish you were closer, know someone with a single who is looking for others so they can all be released together, but they are in MA. I can't imagine how they got splinters, must have been in a very tiny space. How were they found?

SammysMom
05-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Homemade Goats Milk Recipe -

1 cup Goats Milk * (if can - dilute)
1/3 cup Full Fat Vanilla Yogurt
1/3 cup Heavy Cream (frig section)

(lasts 72 hours in frig)

SammysMom
05-14-2013, 07:00 PM
My dad is up in Blaine. You are "up there"...lol God's Country for sure. When you make the formula remember that it really has a short "shelf life" and freeze it in cubes as Pappy suggested.

CritterMom
05-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Homemade Goats Milk Recipe -

1 cup Goats Milk * (if can - dilute)
1/3 cup Full Fat Vanilla Yogurt
1/3 cup Heavy Cream (frig section)

(lasts 72 hours in frig)

or

3 parts goats milk
1 part yogurt
1 part heavy cream

I would freeze most of the goats milk in small containers so you can take a fresh one out to thaw every night and make up fresh formula daily.

Skul
05-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Dehydration is the biggest problem you have now.
If you can administer pediolyte(sp) for the next 12-24 hours, that would help.
Forn the weights you've given, those are very young flyers. New borns start at 2-3 grams.
Esbilac will work fine until you can get your hands on some Fox Vally. If that isn't possible, try the goats milk formula.
You're going to need some very small syringes for feeding.
Keep them very warm, and there formula will need to be very warm.
They're in a very delicate stage right now.
For the injuries, see if you can find Baytril or human stand-by, Cipro.

Earth Mama
05-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks so much for the advice guys! My husband found them in our barn and the nest was torn to shreds and they were scattered on the floor bleeding, bruised with splinters and literally almost frozen. We didnt think they would live through the night. It was an emergency trip to get pedialyte and esbilac- I already had all of the feeding syringes, warm fuzzy home and heating pads. I took a hiatus from school so I have plenty of time to devote to them. I really hope they all live and can be released back onto the land. I decided to get the 2 that arent looking so good back onto pedialyte for a bit, I am thinking they are dehydrated. Will the Alban be sufficient or should I get Baytril? I might be able to get my hands on some cipro- is it all quinolones or just those two?I am just unsure of the dosing. What is the formula for conversion, is it the same as regular mg per kg, p.o.? I have been doing the esbilac since day 2, the big one seems to be doing awesome and I swear she has grown alot in the past couple days. The other 2 have grown hair and grown a little, but not as much as the 3rd. I was thinking at first that they were very young, but then I noticed that they all have bottom teeth. It seemed very strange to me and that is why I started obsessively worrying that they are older and should be bigger. So is the esbilac better or the goats milk formula? I have the esbilac but it will take a few days for the fox to arrive. I am hearing mixed things about it. Sorry to ramble, I just love the little buggers so much! It was such a gift to find them, the thought of them dying alone in the dirt brings tears to my eyes!

Earth Mama
05-14-2013, 09:02 PM
I love the mountains, lots of animals here <3 Lived in the city our whole lives and moved here to raise a family. It's paradise :) Mass is kinda far :(
How old is the single one?

SammysMom
05-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Skul is the go to flyer person!!! Any questions can be answered by Skul!!!

Shewhosweptforest
05-14-2013, 11:02 PM
:thankyou Skul :bowdown and all the other great squeeps here you guys rock:alright.gif

So glad FuzzyMama that you and your flyers found each other:grouphug

You're in good hands..now all we need is pics:thumbsup :grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

Shewhosweptforest
05-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Skul is the go to flyer person!!! Any questions can be answered by Skul!!!
:goodpost :bowdown :goodpost

And you ain't too shabby yourself:thumbsup :jump
Thanks for always being there:Love_Icon

SammysMom
05-14-2013, 11:07 PM
:thankyou Sweeper...you too are "not too shabby"...:Love_Icon

Earth Mama
05-15-2013, 04:36 AM
These are a couple days old, will post new ones today. They are looking better this morning, been plugging the pedialyte to them- when do you think I should switch back to the formula?

Earth Mama
05-15-2013, 05:05 AM
These are from last night. See how the one in the front looks alot bigger than the other two? She look nice and plump and the other 2 look wrinkly and have less hair. The bigger one is a wild girl- she is crawling all over my hand and very demanding :) The other 2 just don't seem as developed, is that normal? Maybe I am just being a paranoid mama, but I'd like to do the antibiotics just to make sure- should I do them on all 3 even if the bigger one isn't showing any signs of illness? She is the one that had the worst injury. The smaller girl had a dark purple contusion on her back leg and side of belly that is completely gone now, at first I was concerned that her leg might be broken; now I am sure it's not, her joint flexion is normal and she is pushing off on it correctly. At what age do they usually get their bottom teeth in? Someone had mentioned that they may have internal parasites and that could be the reason that 2 are smaller ( it couldn't have be pneumonia because they were already like that when we found them, could it?) and recommended treatment- hence the Sulfadimethoxine ( hopefully it will arrive this morning) It is very hard to take pictures of them because they are little wigglers.

flyer girl
05-15-2013, 05:21 AM
Good luck with the little flyers I hope they make it..:grouphug

MollyBear361
05-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Good luck precious babies.

Skul
05-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Barely two weeks old. Normal weight at that age is around 14 grams.
They are dehydrated and malnourished.
Although we don't recommend Esbilac, it will do until you get some Fox Valley.
You can also make up the goats milk formula.
3 parts goat milk, 1 part natural yogurt, and 1 part heavy whipping cream.
Leave the cream out for the first couple feedings.
Using a small syringe, feed very slow and every two hours.
Within a couple days, the time can be switched to three hours, then four.
They do require a lot of time and care at this age. Do your best.

For the injuries, Baytril. One drop daily.

pappy1264
05-15-2013, 07:14 AM
OMG, so tiny. Skul covered it. One thing I would do, make up a tiny rice buddy using a sock, so when you have them out to eat, you can keep them nice and warm (I always do it with the really tiny ones, I hold them on the rice buddy and put a small piece of fleece over them to hold the heat in. Just make sure it is warm, not hot, after you microwave it, squish it around to make sure there are not hot spots.) How long have they been on hydration fluids? You may want to start giving them the diluted gm formula (hold off on adding the heavy cream) and see how they do, or give them the formula and in between feedings give a tiny bit of plain fluids, no salt added, to give extra hydration. They need to start getting calories in them, slowly and steadily. I also would take some fleece pieces you can wear in your clothes for a few hours then pop in with them, so your scent gets familiar to them, so when you handle them they will recognize you and be more comfortable. Flyers can be alot of work, esp. this young, but boy are they worth the effort! Good luck.

CritterMom
05-15-2013, 07:17 AM
The two little ones really do still look dehydrated. I am NOT a flyer person but this is what I would do:

Make up the goats milk formula to the specs described (1 part yogurt/1 part heavy cream/3 parts goats milk), and then DILUTE that 2 too 1 with water (2 parts of the complete GM recipe plus 1 part water). I would feed that and IN BETWEEN feedings I would give additional hydration in the form of plain sugar water (2.5 teaspoons sugar to 1 cup water), everything fed warm, and keeping the babies warm.

You should definitely order some Fox Valley 32/40 from www.henryspets.com and get things like 1cc syringes and nipples, etc., while there.

If there is anyone in your family or circle who is heading south toward the Portland area I can help with formula/syringes/nipples, etc...I fear that with you being as remote as you are that you would not gain much time in my mailing it to you - I bet it is at least two days and Henrys ships super fast.

Edit - I see Skul weighed in as far as leaving the cream out rather than putting it in and diluting with water - LISTEN TO MR. & MRS. SKUL about flyers!!

Earth Mama
05-15-2013, 11:14 AM
So I got the supplies to make the Goat's Milk formula with, Organic Whole Goat's milk, organic plain full fat yogurt and organic heavy cream. I've been pushing the pedialyte every 2 hours, I thought I was supposed to feed them every 3 hours, but now I've been doing every 2. After another feeding I'm going to try the milk. Hopefully the Goat's milk formula will do better for them than the esbilac was, until the Fox arrives. The little boy's penis seems to be healed now. I need to fatten them up, they are so tiny! Does anyone know what a good amount of weigh for them to be gaining daily is? I have a scale that I can track their weight on.

Earth Mama
05-15-2013, 11:25 AM
One more quick question- does anyone know if the raw goat's milk yogurt would be better for them? I was worried about getting the unpasteurized for them because of their condition, but if it would be better, I will get some tomorrow. It's from a local farm so I know it's quality. We are primarily vegan so we don't have alot of milk products laying around lol. Thanks again for your help guys! You are an awesome bunch!

CritterMom
05-15-2013, 11:31 AM
One more quick question- does anyone know if the raw goat's milk yogurt would be better for them? I was worried about getting the unpasteurized for them because of their condition, but if it would be better, I will get some tomorrow. It's from a local farm so I know it's quality. We are primarily vegan so we don't have alot of milk products laying around lol. Thanks again for your help guys! You are an awesome bunch!

I don't thik it makes a lot of difference. The full fat yogurt (I usually get Stoneyfield Yobaby in vanilla) is in there to boost the fat a bit and to add probiotics; the heavy cream is to boost the fat (goats milk is pretty low in fat and the squirrels need a lot of it as babies). I would say as long as it doesn't have chunks of fruit in it or artificial sweeteners it is fine, and if you can get full fat yogurt (the Yobaby is the only one I have found in standard grocery stores) it is best, though in a pinch lowfat can be used...

Nancy in New York
05-15-2013, 11:32 AM
So I got the supplies to make the Goat's Milk formula with, Organic Whole Goat's milk, organic plain full fat yogurt and organic heavy cream. I've been pushing the pedialyte every 2 hours, I thought I was supposed to feed them every 3 hours, but now I've been doing every 2. After another feeding I'm going to try the milk. Hopefully the Goat's milk formula will do better for them than the esbilac was, until the Fox arrives. The little boy's penis seems to be healed now. I need to fatten them up, they are so tiny! Does anyone know what a good amount of weigh for them to be gaining daily is? I have a scale that I can track their weight on.

Stop with the pedialyte. That should be given for only 24 hours.
You have to switch them over to sugar water only, NO salt.

3 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)
1 quart warm water

Keep refrigerated.

What is their weight now.
Just go slow and steady and they will gain weight,
you just don't want them losing. :shakehead

Skul
05-15-2013, 11:42 AM
The two hour time is to get them up to where they should be.
If you can, weigh before, then after feeding.
You may see a one gram jump in weight.
Pappy mentioned keeping them warm, which is very important. A cold squirrel will not eat.
The formula should also be very warm.

Before I forget. Are you stimulating them to go potty?
If not, please do so.

Earth Mama
05-15-2013, 12:23 PM
I gave them pedialyte for the first 24 hours then switched to esbilac. Then I was advised to start them back on pedialyte, which they have been back on for 12 hours.

Earth Mama
05-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Yes Skul, I have been stimulating them- they are good at pooping and peeing :) The boy had some issues at first but after using some antibiotic ointment, he is looking much better ( he was red and ouchie).

Nancy in New York
05-15-2013, 12:41 PM
I gave them pedialyte for the first 24 hours then switched to esbilac. Then I was advised to start them back on pedialyte, which they have been back on for 12 hours.

Another member posted this, please read.

"Ive been doing this a long time and have found out some things by necropsy, and some by a brilliant DVM with a double masters in nutrition. She has always picked my methods apart, and then told me "why". Today recovering dehydrated and emaciated animals is one of my specialties along with wounds and bone breaks. Ive got this down and I hope my experiences will help you to master these methods.
In small mammals as small as squirrels, you are always better off to re hydrate with glucose or sugar water than pedialyte when the animal is dehydrated from lack of fluids or milk. Theres a few reasons, but mainly the preservatives that are used in the commercial electrolytes for human consumption. In a human sized kidney, or even a large breed puppy, not a big deal, but in the kidneys of a tiny squirrel, you have these little filters the size of half to a whole pea, and they are battling to keep the impurities out of the blood which is now thickened and concentrated, in a body that cannot afford to flush them out because it cant afford the fluid loss to make urine. The kidneys are already in trouble. Those chemicals are immediately caught in the kidneys because the body cannot use them for anything. Pedialyte often contains dye and flavoring which should never be used, but the preservatives alone can cause problems you wont even see. In cross section
necropsies of kidneys for other rehabbers, I have found crystals, inflammation and blockage from Pedialyte and Gatorade. The Gatorade is just insane. I wont even drink it after seeing how the kidneys are affected. I have necropsied HUGE BLUE Gatorade kidneys! When the body is dehydrated and the kidneys are that small, we must only give the system things it can break down and use. There is no room for added chemicals. We have to stay as pure as possible.

I think most folks make their own rehydration fluid so skip that part unless pedialyte is part of the arsenal

In dehydration from starvation, just go with 1 tsp per cup warm water, infant glucose water or dextrose and water. The body can use that sugar. It makes a world of difference in stabilizing your baby and getting them back up. You can feed only the sugar water or glucose for a day, day and a half, and start adding your protein (formula) to the glucose or sugar water in reduced amounts, keeping them on the sugar until they rehydrate and their weight is back up. The BONUS to this is that they burn the sugar as energy which causes the body to store the protein, which brings weight up more effectively. The ADDED BONUS is that you can mix your protein and your rehydration fluid. You CANNOT MIX ELECTROLYTES AND PROTEIN. You cancel them both out by doing this. You will starve your baby of all help by doing this. Never never mix.
In an animal dehydrated from starvation or lack of fluids, they havent lost electrolytes as they would have from a case of diarrhea, to which an electrolyte can be used. Since sugar can actually cause diarrhea (which it will NOT do in a dehydrated animal), in an animal dehydrated from diarrhea, I recommend unflavored Pedialyte given BETWEEN protein feedings, or alternate with a starch like rice cereal water. I still use the infant glucose for this, and if I have to give an electrolyte, I use reconstituted mammal electrolyte powder.
Often protein can cause diarrhea if its an alien source, so pulling the protein and adding a starch will often do the trick. Remember, starch converts to sugar. Starch actually IS a long chain sugar, so no need to ad sugar when using a starch. Its amazing how the two are so similarly used by the body, but produce the opposite result in therapy!
Anyway, I hope something here helps!
Annette
Wild Heart Ranch

This may not help at all but those babies really are skinny--starving. Get better babies :Love_Icon[/QUOTE]

Earth Mama
05-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Thank you for the info! It is much appreciated. I just gave them their goats milk formula and they loved it. They seemed to like it much better than the esbilac.
Luna is up to 9.2, Lucy is 8.0 and Lazerus is 8.1. The two that I am worried about seem to be doing better, less wrinkles and more "alert" , doing the "nursing paws" etc. I will post more pics tonight and hopefully everyone can tell me how much better they look lol :thankyou I love being a "stand in" squirrel mama <3

Saverywood
05-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks NINY - Good information. :thumbsup

Shewhosweptforest
05-15-2013, 04:58 PM
:multi Great to see they've added some weight:crazy now that they're getting some GM also you will probably see better results and better yet with FV:alright.gif Your new babies are lucky they fell into your hands...you're doing a great job...it's a lot to learn but oh sooo worth it:grouphug Looking forward to the new pics:crazy

Earth Mama
05-15-2013, 05:06 PM
tinfoil so if I am feeding them the GM every couple hours, I should give them how much sugar water, and when? After 2 feedings of the GM without the heavy cream, is it safe to add it to the mix now?

Earth Mama
05-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Sorry to be an annoying pest haha! I'm probably going to drive you guys crazy :) By the way, the rice packs work wonders! :thankyou

SammysMom
05-15-2013, 05:10 PM
You are NOT an annoying pest!!!:nono

Fireweed
05-15-2013, 06:05 PM
No, no...don't feel like a pest... unless you want to, of course. :poke :D

Rehabbers get busy, get sidetracked by cute photos of squees and other important life matters. So sometimes you have to do this:

tinfoil so if I am feeding them the GM every couple hours, I should give them how much sugar water, and when?
After 2 feedings of the GM without the heavy cream, is it safe to add it to the mix now?

Let's hope you get answers to your 3 questions sooner than later. :D :thumbsup
PS: It's not yelling... it's asking loudly. :rotfl

Nancy in New York
05-15-2013, 06:06 PM
tinfoil so if I am feeding them the GM every couple hours, I should give them how much sugar water, and when? After 2 feedings of the GM without the heavy cream, is it safe to add it to the mix now?

I would hold of on the heavy cream for about 24 hours total and then add. This is an adjustment for their tummies and we don't want to add to much to the mix right now.
You can give a little bit of sugar water in between the feedings, perhaps an hour after they ate.
Forgive me if I am repeating what you already know, but the rule of thumb is 5-7% of their body weight.
For the 8 grams one that would be between .4 and .56 that goes for the formula and for hydration.
If they look hydrated to you, then you can stop all together with the hydration and just stick to the formula.:)
Thank you for helping these little babies!:bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

edit: I heard you loud and clear Miss Fireweed......:poke :D :poke

Fireweed
05-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Oh, wow... see how fast that worked?! :jump

Nancy in New York
05-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Oh, wow... see how fast that worked?! :jump

Normally when you speak I listen.....usually.....:D
No, I mean I always listen. That's what I meant.

Fireweed
05-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Normally when you speak I listen.....usually.....:D
No, I mean I always listen. That's what I meant.
Huh? What did you say? Are you talking to.... Oh, look! A SQUIRREL!!!

Earth Mama
05-15-2013, 07:26 PM
So the formula to decide max amount of cc's to body weight is (w)7%= X , and I can feed X amount during regular feeding and then X between feedings of the sugar water and it wont be too much, or is it x split up between the sugar and the milk? It's going to be a long night, time for coffee :):multi

CritterMom
05-15-2013, 07:36 PM
So the formula to decide max amount of cc's to body weight is (w)7%= X , and I can feed X amount during regular feeding and then X between feedings of the sugar water and it wont be too much, or is it x split up between the sugar and the milk? It's going to be a long night, time for coffee :):multi

5 to 7% and they will likely start at the low end and work up. They actually eat more when they are hydrated, so while intuitively you kind of want to hold off on the water to allow them room for more milk, it doesn't work that way. So 5-7% at each water and formula feedings. When they fill their little skins and are fully hydrated which will likely be tomorrow sometime, you will phase out the water feedings.

But any time you go to feed them and they suddenly take less formula, immediately think "DEHYDRATION" and give them some.

Also, if you place a wet sponge in a dish and put it IN the container and over the heat, it will raise the humidity in their container. They lose moisture through all that bare skin, too.

Shewhosweptforest
05-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Coffee?:thinking Where.....:sanp3 NE ...:shakehead never mind :jump Be sure to feed the full 5-7% formula.....reduce the sugar water....they need the formula...as Nancy in NY said ...hydration between if necessary and only ...uhhh Nancy :help:jump

Earth Mama
05-16-2013, 07:19 AM
They are definitely perking up! Hopefully the Fox Valley will arrive today! They are still looking skinny but are eating good, taking the sugar water and bellies look good! I am still thinking they are a bit dehydrated ( pinch test) but it's kind of hard to tell where they are so skinny. The wrinkles seem to be dissipating and they definitely look plumper and have gained weight. :wahoo

pappy1264
05-16-2013, 07:30 AM
They do look better. Great job!

Fireweed
05-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Oh, such sweet little things. You're doing a great job, Mama! :bowdown

MollyBear361
05-16-2013, 02:47 PM
:thumbsup

Earth Mama
05-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Update- The two girls seem to be doing good, but Lucy has had periods of diarrhea off and on. Laz boy, I'm worried about! I think he is having a hard time digesting the GMF. I can see the white in his belly through his skin and his belly feels firm. Should I hold off on the formula and do the sugar water for a couple feedings until the issue resolves, or dilute the formula with the sugar water? He doesn't seem gassy and I have been rubbing his belly, I was thinking about giving him a warm bath to try and loosen it up but I'm not sure. He has pooped but it's not as solid as usual and paler in color. Everyone is peeing fine and Luna is pooping normally every time. They have all gained almost 2 grams. No one seems dehydrated.

CritterMom
05-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Update- The two girls seem to be doing good, but Lucy has had periods of diarrhea off and on. Laz boy, I'm worried about! I think he is having a hard time digesting the GMF. I can see the white in his belly through his skin and his belly feels firm. Should I hold off on the formula and do the sugar water for a couple feedings until the issue resolves, or dilute the formula with the sugar water? He doesn't seem gassy and I have been rubbing his belly, I was thinking about giving him a warm bath to try and loosen it up but I'm not sure. He has pooped but it's not as solid as usual and paler in color. Everyone is peeing fine and Luna is pooping normally every time. They have all gained almost 2 grams. No one seems dehydrated.

First, start to back off on the sugar in the water, especially for the little girl with diarrhea - you can still offer hydration, but start to reduce and finally eliminate the sugar until you are just giving water.

The warm water dip and tummy massage is a very good idea. No food until he has digested what is there. Check and make sure he is warm enough - they are so tiny I imagine it is easy for them to chill down. They need to be plenty warm to digest properly - in fact I would make a tiny little rice buddy that is small enough so you can drape him over the top of it and wrap baby and buddy up to feed him so he doesn't chill. If his tummy is hard it IS gas bloat. You can also give a very scant drop of infant simethicone (baby gas-x).

Formula: What are you giving? Have you added the cream to it? If you have, try feeding the baby with the tummy issues JUST GM and yogurt - no cream. The diarrhea baby may benefit from this as well. The cream is very rich and it can take them some time to tolerate it.

Earth Mama
05-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Ah! Thank you so much for your quick reply! I wrote a novel last night and posted it, but somehow it's not showing up here? Maybe I posted it on another thread by mistake lol ( lack of sleep much?) I stopped the sugar water yesterday because they are not looking dehydrated anymore. I started gradually adding the cream into the GM yesterday. I made them rice packs as well. I took a long sock and filled it lightly with rice so I can make a wrap around with fleece while I feed them. It has been working wonders. I actually make rice packs and breastfeeding packs for new mothers and sell them on Etsy, so I have plenty of supplies to make them little feeding nests <3 I will definitely back off the cream -should I give him water,but no milk, until it is resolved, or hold off on that too? I am really hoping my Fox Valley arrives today! It always takes longer for me to get stuff, up here in the boonies. I'm quite sure he isn't dehydrated because ( sorry if too much info haha) his little "bean bag" was looking very wrinkly and shriveled up before, now it is looking plump and his skin is not tenting.:grouphug

Earth Mama
05-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Ahh, you can see my little nest in the pic above- It's white with purple, that is Luna sleeping wrapped up in it after she was done eating. They are so freakin cute.:Love_Icon

CritterMom
05-17-2013, 01:41 PM
See if you can get his belly down before you give him anything. You need them to digest the last food before they get more food or the two mix in the stomach and ferment causing the gas. We all immediately become Italian mamas with these guys and want to constantly "top them off" but it is not the way to do it!

A note regarding the FV: It will stick with them longer than the goats milk. So when you start with it, first dilute it 3 to 1 (instead of 2 to 1 which is what they will eventually be taking) and then mix it with your goats milk formula, slowly transitioning them. No sudden diet changes - you want to ease them into everything - adding milk, changing formulas - all of it s-l-o-w-l-y. It is more important to watch the tummy than the clock when determining how long between feedings.

Earth Mama
05-17-2013, 01:46 PM
:) I'm going to try the warm bath, too bad I don't have a rubber duckie small enough for him :soapbox I will update on his progress:Love_Icon

Fireweed
05-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Just wanted to make sure you saw this because the page turned :tilt:

See if you can get his belly down before you give him anything. You need them to digest the last food before they get more food or the two mix in the stomach and ferment causing the gas. We all immediately become Italian mamas with these guys and want to constantly "top them off" but it is not the way to do it!

A note regarding the FV: It will stick with them longer than the goats milk. So when you start with it, first dilute it 3 to 1 (instead of 2 to 1 which is what they will eventually be taking) and then mix it with your goats milk formula, slowly transitioning them. No sudden diet changes - you want to ease them into everything - adding milk, changing formulas - all of it s-l-o-w-l-y. It is more important to watch the tummy than the clock when determining how long between feedings.

I wrote a novel last night and posted it, but somehow it's not showing up here? Maybe I posted it on another thread by mistake lol ( lack of sleep much?)
Lol. What may have happened is you clicked on "preview" instead of "submit" and thought it had been submitted. Then when you left the page it just disappeared. :dono

Cute little nest idea. :) And omg, are they ever freaking cute... so, so tiny. :Love_Icon I'm glad to hear they are doing better. And, are you kidding? It's never TMI---we do things here like celebrate :poop, yo! :poke :alright.gif

Fleece is what we recommend for squirrels because their little nails and toes and feet can easily get caught up in the 'loops' of other materials and cause a lot of damage. Have fun with the many patterns! :D And because I don't want you to blame me later for not warning you: fleece is addicting. :sanp3
Maybe you could make a 'rubber' duckie fleece toy for them?! :hyper

Earth Mama
05-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Bath accomplished. His belly is already looking alot better, but I'm going to hold off for a bit on the milk. He really seemed to enjoy his bath! He was kicking his little legs and looked like a seal. He's all warm all snug now and sleeping.

flyer girl
05-18-2013, 10:01 AM
I so do hope these little ones make it they are so Darn cute.. If you could get ahold of some Albon or lactulose they work great for these little ones bellys.. Good job and good luck..:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

Shewhosweptforest
05-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Just checking in....hope all three are still hanging in there:grouphug Just beautiful little babies:grouphug

Fireweed
05-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Aww, I missed the bath pics. How cute. :)

Earth Mama
05-20-2013, 06:05 AM
UPDATE: They are all doing great! They have been integrating to fox valley slowly over the past couple days. No diarrhea, just golden nuggets. They are gaining weight and getting to be quite the little fuzz butts! They are starting to get round, not little skeletons anymore. Will post more pics today! I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for flyers now haha. I can foresee doing more rehab in my future and Mrs.Skul is teaching me everything I need to know :Love_Icon I would really like to get my hands on some baytril, just in case. If anyone can get me some or tell me where to get it, it would be much appreciated. CalVet has the human form ( cipro) -is this a trusted place for me to order from? Does anyone know any friendly vets in Maine or New Hampshire (a long haul, but doable if necessary) if I were to need one?

Skul
05-20-2013, 07:02 AM
I saw teefs!!

Trying to catch up on news. Been out of town for several days.
Looks like the little monsters are starting to improve.
It sure takes a lot of work to do that.
Good thing you were around, or those kids wouldn't have made it. :thumbsup

Earth Mama
05-20-2013, 07:13 AM
Thanks Skul :) :bowdown Your wife has been my lifeline, the Yoda of flyers! :bowdown You can see in the picture that they are getting fat little butts. Yay!!!!! Their little teefs are so cute and Lucy bit me haha! She thought she was going to get milk out of my finger and was upset that she couldn't. I love them!!!:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Unikorngrrl
05-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Oh my word, how precious!! Couldn't you just eat them up?!? So glad they're doing well!! :multi :multi

Fireweed
05-20-2013, 11:31 AM
How awesome is THIS?! You are doing such a great job, FM! :bowdown

The teefies! The teefies! :hyper

flyer girl
05-20-2013, 11:40 PM
My first flying squirrel rehab is how I got hooked too, I can not imagine my life without flyers they bring so much joy to my life..:D I am glad these little ones are doing so good keep up the good work and keep us posted..:wahoo

Mrs Skul
05-21-2013, 12:22 AM
:Flag
:wave123 Hi FuzzyMama
I just wonted to check in, and let every one Know, I Think Your a Natural! :thumbsup3
:bow You have kept these Babies Alive! :Love_Icon
Keep up the good work. :grouphug

SQUIRRELSAREME
05-21-2013, 12:41 AM
Good job with these baby's. yes mrs. Skul is a life saver . She helped me with my three cant imagine life with out them. Be prepared to become half nocturnal :jump

Earth Mama
05-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Awww! :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou They are getting to be little pork chops! Finally! Luna is at 13.8, Lucy is 11.6 and Laz is 11.9. They all have their eyes open! They are soooooooo adorable and looking so much healthier! Who needs sleep anyway, when you have hungry hungry hippos? Mrs.Skul and CritterMom mjs mjs mjs squirrlie kisses!:thankyou :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou

IrishHarps
05-21-2013, 03:56 PM
I've been out of town for two weeks and missed the squirrelly triplets. How cute!!!

flyer girl
05-23-2013, 02:31 AM
Keep up the good work these kids look great..:thumbsup

Earth Mama
05-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Updates and ridiculous questions- They are all cutting their top teeth now and wanting to chew, is there anything I can put in with them that they can gnaw on, or are they too little? ( not food, but something just to chew on) I've been letting them chew my finger- they aren't biting but wanting to push down with those new teefs. Also- we have 5 "normal" looking ears and one of Luna's ears hasn't separated yet. Should I be worried?tinfoil tinfoil tinfoil

CritterMom
05-24-2013, 11:03 AM
We're gonna have to get you set up with some blocks soon!

Cut some fresh safe wood twigs - maple and beech are both good - about as big around as your little finger so they can get a good gnaw in. Wash it well with soapy water and rinse thoroughly - you don't want to bring in any little crawlies.

IrishHarps
05-24-2013, 11:05 AM
I think it's ok to throw in some branches (maple, oak) when they are still little, so they can start learning now to chew a bit. Other people should weigh in on it, though, for a definitive answer. How many weeks are they now?

I wouldn't worry about the ear, but if you have pics, that would help

Chickenlegs
05-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Go to "Bearded Dragon" for Baytril. It's in suspension and flavored. I found the link here but where? Gotta go look. I'm sorry I missed this thread from the beginning. I am a flyer mama wannabee. I would be in heaven with three baby flyers. You've done an amazing job with three little guys who didn't have a prayer of survival without you. Guess you've earned your sainthood suspenders--tho so many folks on TSB have em they're not a novelty anymore.

Earth Mama
05-25-2013, 02:04 PM
UPDATE: Laz is 14.1, Lucy is 15 and Luna is 16. They are very good squirrels and love to cuddle.

CritterMom
05-25-2013, 02:20 PM
They are just precious! You're doing good!

I wonder if they are Northern Flyers or Southern? There are two distinct breeds...

Shewhosweptforest
05-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Ohh my goodness I forgot about these guys....:) sooo glad they're still improving..thriving...great job...and I see you've been hooked:Welcome to the club....it's the best place to be:bowdown

Earth Mama
05-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Christal says they are southern. She has seen more pictures of them. It's so hard to get pictures, they are major squirmies.mjs mjs mjs

Earth Mama
05-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Trust me, after these guys are healthy and released, I will take in whatever squirrels need me. I'm definitely hooked and I will have all the supplies. Guess it's not just reptile and bird rehab for us anymore lol.

MJS
05-25-2013, 08:03 PM
:Welcome TO TSB...BLESS YOU FOR TAKING CARE OF THESE BABIES!!! :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

flyer girl
05-26-2013, 04:38 AM
these little ones are looking so good keep up the good work..:thumbsup

Unikorngrrl
05-26-2013, 04:47 AM
Glad to see they're doing so well FM. They're too cute aren't they!! :D

IrishHarps
05-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Lookin' great! Just let us know if you have any questions :) I'm doing my best to help in the Skul's absence. And yeah, they look like Southerns to me. Cute ones too!

Earth Mama
05-28-2013, 08:00 PM
UPDATES: The boy Laz seems to be doing well with his antibiotics, his "peenie" is still a little funny looking from when Lucy got ahold of it, but he is peeing fine and his pee isn't smelling as funny. Luna is like a small dog, she crawls up into my hoodie pocket the second I have her and goes into a ball. I've gone to feeding them every 2 1/3 to 3 hours and every 3 to 3 1/2 at night and they are FAT little squirrels!!! They have no wrinkles and have nice round fuzzy bellies. They have really filled out over the past week! When I look at pictures of them from 2 weeks ago I can hardly recognize them! I have to watch them veeerrrrry close because Lucy likes to gnaw on Luna and Laz's tails and whatever else she can get ahold of. I have some chewie toys in there for her but she just likes to. Even when I have all 3 of them in the "pouch" she is mauling the other 2. She is very feisty. I try to separate or watch her closely but I don't want to totally separate her from the other 2 because I want her to bond with them, so it's been a constant game of " what's that squeak?" Anyway, I just though I would post some pictures of these incredibly beautiful and fat babies!! Mrs. Skul really knows her flyer squirrel turd lol :Love_Icon p.s- the one picture at the bottom is all three of them trying to cram themselves up my sleeve as fast as possible. The climb up me like I'm a tree and nestle up against my neck and pitch a fit when I inconvenience them with my sneezing or moving haha. I love them!!mjs mjs mjs Thank you for all the help guys!! :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

CritterMom
05-28-2013, 08:04 PM
This thread makes me happy. I didn't think they had a chance at your first post - I was horrified by their appearance. My GOD I am glad to be WRONG!

Earth Mama
05-28-2013, 08:05 PM
oh and P.s., the Fox Valley and yogurt/HC formula is working fabulously! I was slowly giving it and now they are all finally on the undiluted. Me and Christal worked it out because they had some minor tummy problems at first, but now they are LOVING it and doing great! Their little bodies are tearing through the food as quickly anymore either ( I go more by the "belly" than by the clock when feeding) and before the Fox Valley they had empty tummies in under 2 hours. I love that stuff!:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Earth Mama
05-28-2013, 08:12 PM
One more thing- Just look at this picture. This is right when we found them- they have come sooooooo far over the past couple weeks!!! I'm so glad we found this place! What a great bunch of people you all are! :Love_Icon mjs mjs mjs :jump :jump :jump :jump

misswookins
05-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Congrats!
I am jealous :)
But hearing (and seeing) this success story has made my day!
Enjoy!

Earth Mama
05-28-2013, 08:20 PM
:Love_Icon :Love_Icon One more thing- I need a list, I'm going to put an order in for more FV, nipples ( ughh, I keep pouring all of mine down the sink!!!) syringes- and whatever else someone tells me I should get lol. I need some blocks, I know that- which ones are highly recommended for flyers?

CritterMom
05-28-2013, 08:54 PM
:Love_Icon :Love_Icon One more thing- I need a list, I'm going to put an order in for more FV, nipples ( ughh, I keep pouring all of mine down the sink!!!) syringes- and whatever else someone tells me I should get lol. I need some blocks, I know that- which ones are highly recommended for flyers?

Flyer Blocks! LOL!

flyer girl
05-29-2013, 01:46 AM
Henry's flyer blocks are good my flyers love them..congratulations these kids look so good.. Keep up the good work..:wahoo :thumbsup

IrishHarps
05-29-2013, 08:28 AM
They look wonderful! Great job :) Aren't they a hoot to have around?

And yes, Henry's makes flyer blocks - if you go to the main page on their site, there is a section for flyers on the toolbar.

Earth Mama
05-29-2013, 08:39 AM
OOh lol, I love Henry's but they are OUT of nipples and I'm down to 2! Is there anywhere else I can order them from? I don't know how I keep losing the darn things! I've dumped a couple down the drain during my middle of the night stupor feeding sessions.tinfoil tinfoil tinfoil

Earth Mama
05-29-2013, 08:40 AM
And of course they would be " Flyer Blocks" I'm putting on my dunce hat now and retreating to a dark place haha:crazy

Skul
05-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Starting to get caught again, after the last few days.
Get a weight check done. They should be around 25g.

They're fun, aren't they? :rotfl

pappy1264
05-29-2013, 10:28 AM
They look fantastic!! What type of nipples? If they are the mothering silicone, don't know anyone who has them, as the company stopped making them, so you may need to find another kind if that is what you are using. They are a little young, but you will def. need to order a stealth wheel (make sure you get one with a metal track, as my flyer, Jett, actually chewed through her track and I have to get a new one!)

IrishHarps
05-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Call or email Henry's and see what they can do for you - they may be able to provide you with a good replacement. They are very responsive and nice :)

CritterMom
05-29-2013, 10:57 AM
OOh lol, I love Henry's but they are OUT of nipples and I'm down to 2! Is there anywhere else I can order them from? I don't know how I keep losing the darn things! I've dumped a couple down the drain during my middle of the night stupor feeding sessions.tinfoil tinfoil tinfoil

I actually have a source for these bookmarked on my home computer - will dig it out when I get home. In the meantime, I will drop a few spares in an envelope and mail them to ya.

Earth Mama
05-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Starting to get caught again, after the last few days.
Get a weight check done. They should be around 25g.

They're fun, aren't they? :rotfl

I just weighed them! Laz- 20.2 Lucy-21.5 Luna-22.5 They are almost where they should be! Another couple days and they will be!:flash3 :flash3 :flash3 They are soooooo fun! They think I'm a tree! They run up and down my arms and shirt and flatten out like pancakes when they think they have lost their balance. I'm a little worried about one of Laz's legs, it
doesn't hurt him at all, but the more I see him run, the more I notice it functions kinda funny. I don't know though, I'm paranoid about everything haha. I still check my 8 year old son to make sure he's breathing at night...:shakehead :hidechair

Earth Mama
05-29-2013, 02:21 PM
The nipples are the silicone ones, I don't know how I have lost them! I've been holding onto these 2 for dear life! I will call Henry's today and :thankyou CM! Last time I ordered from them it took a few days to get here, it always takes a while for me up here... :wave

I just looked up the stealth wheel, how soon should I get it?:strong

Earth Mama
05-29-2013, 02:22 PM
What the !!??!! somehow my abbreviation:Love_Icon for CritterMom turned into christmas dancers? LOL

IrishHarps
05-29-2013, 02:34 PM
when you type in " C M " (no spaces), that's the forum's shortcut for that emoticon - no worries, everyone does it on accident :-D

If they are big enough to be in a full sized cage, I'd guess they are big enough for a stealth wheel. What are their ages again? Stealth Wheels may be expensive, but they use the heck out of them - trust me!

Earth Mama
05-29-2013, 02:35 PM
We think they are about 3 weeks old, ish, right Skul? Maybe a little older?

Earth Mama
05-29-2013, 02:37 PM
I just saw a stealth wheel online for 45.00, is that a good deal or no? It says it's for sugar gliders, I have one for hamsters, but I'm guessing they would kill themselves on it.

CritterMom
05-29-2013, 02:40 PM
when you type in " C M " (no spaces), that's the forum's shortcut for that emoticon - no worries, everyone does it on accident :-D

If they are big enough to be in a full sized cage, I'd guess they are big enough for a stealth wheel. What are their ages again? Stealth Wheels may be expensive, but they use the heck out of them - trust me!

None of this is true. I just happen to be the only member with professional backup dancers. People are so jealous...

Unikorngrrl
05-29-2013, 03:25 PM
None of this is true. I just happen to be the only member with professional backup dancers. People are so jealous...
:rotfl :rotfl CritterMom :rotfl :rotfl

IrishHarps
05-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Lmao!

3 weeks may be a little young for the wheel yet. Check with the Skuls - they are the experts :)

I think if you order the wheel through the company directly, it's about $45, so that is an about right price

Earth Mama
05-29-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm totally jealous CM CM2269 CM ! Darn it, here we go again! haha

CritterMom
05-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Ha! As promised, silicone nipples:

http://www.thetropicalrainforestpreserve.com/products-page/enrichment-devices/243-2

I don't know anything about this company and have never ordered from them, but these are the same ones...

Earth Mama
05-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Ha! As promised, silicone nipples:

http://www.thetropicalrainforestpreserve.com/products-page/enrichment-devices/243-2

I don't know anything about this company and have never ordered from them, but these are the same ones...

CM you are the best. One of these days you should come up to my mountain and have dinner with me lol:thankyou seriously though!

Earth Mama
05-29-2013, 07:43 PM
O.k, so sorry to be a pest nonstop,:poke but I am worried about Laz's back leg/legs. I am concerned that he may have had some type of spinal damage before we got him. His legs don't seem to bother him, but he walks really funny, not at all like the 2 girls. The more they are adventuring all over my shirt and crawling on my bed, the more I can see it. Before, they weren't very mobile and looking for trouble to get in. Is there some way I can post a video on here? Mr and Mrs.Skul, are some flyers just "funny walkers" at first? If I put him on the bed and talk to him, he starts to come charging for me, but seems to struggle, almost as if his legs are slightly pointed inward, if that makes any sense. He can push off them fine when I'm holding him and he is absolutely fine with me tugging on them , spreading his toes normally, his feet seem ok... I'm trying to pay close attention now to see if he moves his tail as much as the girls do. Maybe it's just a normal thing that I am being paranoid about? If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear. I've dealt with alot of animals in my times and seen many injuries and although he isn't "dragging" his legs, they just don't seem right. Someone help me stop worrying lol.:confused:

CritterMom
05-29-2013, 07:53 PM
O.k, so sorry to be a pest nonstop,:poke but I am worried about Laz's back leg/legs. I am concerned that he may have had some type of spinal damage before we got him. His legs don't seem to bother him, but he walks really funny, not at all like the 2 girls. The more they are adventuring all over my shirt and crawling on my bed, the more I can see it. Before, they weren't very mobile and looking for trouble to get in. Is there some way I can post a video on here? Mr and Mrs.Skul, are some flyers just "funny walkers" at first? If I put him on the bed and talk to him, he starts to come charging for me, but seems to struggle, almost as if his legs are slightly pointed inward, if that makes any sense. He can push off them fine when I'm holding him and he is absolutely fine with me tugging on them , spreading his toes normally, his feet seem ok... I'm trying to pay close attention now to see if he moves his tail as much as the girls do. Maybe it's just a normal thing that I am being paranoid about? If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear. I've dealt with alot of animals in my times and seen many injuries and although he isn't "dragging" his legs, they just don't seem right. Someone help me stop worrying lol.:confused:

Upload to Youtube or Photobucket or the like and post the link. Considering the condition they were in it is very likely he has an injury. The flyer folk who have raised babies will certainly know. Oh my, a little boy NR flyer. Be still my heart!:Love_Icon

Skul
05-29-2013, 08:16 PM
We think they are about 3 weeks old, ish, right Skul? Maybe a little older?
I'm more in the four week range.
Eyes have just opened a day or so ago.
Now that you mention it, weight would actually be closer to 21-22g range, rather than 25.
Couple more days and they'll be there.
At five weeks, 29-32g if I recall.
Seems they're pretty much caught up. :)

IrishHarps
05-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Can you get video and upload it to YouTube? It seems to be more reliable than Photobucket. You can set it to a private video, if you want, so only the people who have the direct link (ie, us) would be able to see it.

That doesn't sound normal, and he could have an injury, but that being said I have seen squirrels on here make full recoveries, especially if they are young. But if he is a little gimpy for life and you have to keep him.... hey, it's an excuse to keep a flyer :D

CritterMom
05-30-2013, 08:42 AM
I don't know if you have read all the way back to the beginning of this thread, but FM found these babies with splinters and pieces of wood pushed INTO their little bodies. We have discussed this and I am about 99% sure that they were victims of a shrike, a carnivorous bird about the size of a mockingbird that kills by IMPALING it's prey on thorns, barbed wire, cactus spines - anything sharp they can find. They usually go after bugs and small mice but given that FM has tons of these unpleasant little birds around the house, I am betting that is what happened. So these babies had KNOWN injuries when they were found.

Earth Mama
05-30-2013, 12:35 PM
My account is acting really weird, so I don't know if this will post or not and I'm locked out of my private messages for some reason.

Skul
05-30-2013, 06:59 PM
My account is acting really weird, so I don't know if this will post or not and I'm locked out of my private messages for some reason.
I dropped a note to admin. Might help.

Earth Mama
06-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Thanks Skul :) I just got back, my counterpart has been taking care of the fuzzballs. Will post updates in the morning, I'm not one of those deserters, I swear lol mjs mjs mjs

Earth Mama
06-03-2013, 09:41 AM
O.K., so an update. Lucy seems to be the most spunky and healthy little gal in the world. There is an obvious problem with Laz's walking, but that is O.K., because he is fine in every other sense and happy and cute as an be. Luna, I am noticing is a little slow. It has been impossible to really tell, where they were so young, but now that they are mobile and climbing and playing, I can really access them. Luna does not act like Lucy ( or even Laz, with is disability) she doesn't have a desire to burrow or nest. The other 2 immediately dig down into their fleece and nest material, Luna just kinda sits there. She hangs out on my shirt and doesn't really seem to respond to noise like the other 2 do. She isn't feisty at all like Lucy, is a slow nurser and although she walks fine, she seems to stop for no apparent reason. I have never had to judge head injury in a flying squirrel, but based on my experience with other animals, I would guess that she had some type of slight head trauma. Because they all had so many splinters and dings all over them, it was impossible to tell at the beginning. Could she just have a very docile temperament and be lazy? Each day they grow, I notice more. Am I just being a paranoid mama? I was leaning toward Laz being a NR and Lucy and Luna releasing together, but now I am thinking Luna won't be a good candidate. I had my sister check her out yesterday when she came for a visit ( she works at a rehab center- pretty far from me) and she said the same thing, but doesn't have alot of experience with flyers, especially at this age. I know for a fact that nothing has happened to her since I've had her but I know they had it rough beforehand. Could she just have a pokey personality? My sister said that teh flyers that she has worked with are spunky like Lucy, flyer people- any ideas?:thinking

flyer girl
06-04-2013, 03:16 AM
In my experience with rehabing flyers not all of them grow and change at the same time..Some of them are slower than others some don't eat as well as others so I would just give the baby sometime and see what she does..I am happy that they are doing so well..:thumbsup

pappy1264
06-04-2013, 06:43 AM
I wouldn't be overly concerned, as said, they all can be very unique. You have plenty of time to decide about release (or not). Aren't flyers just too adorable! I just can't rehab them as I have 5 for pets, so hard for me to do it to release. They bond so easily, too.

Earth Mama
06-04-2013, 09:10 AM
I originally didn't think they would live through the night, and then I thought I would be able to release them all. Now, the boy is definitely a NR and I'm quite sure I have a lovely person that would adopt him as a NR. Then I had hoped to release the girls together, but if one is NR and one is, I would have an extremely hard time releasing just one and it would be impossible for me to keep all 3. It is sooo hard to decide, they are such beautiful creatures, I just want them to have the best lives possible! I would be very concerned about having male and female about them trying to breed, that would be a HUGE no no.

Earth Mama
06-04-2013, 09:13 AM
What is the age that is recommended for them to bond to a new person? Right now I am carrying them around in a pouch for about 5-6 hours a day and they are all happy but if Mrs.Lovely does adopt the boy, I don't know what age that should be.tinfoil

Earth Mama
06-04-2013, 09:27 AM
And P.s., should I move this thread to the non-life threatening help one? If so, I don't know how :)

Unikorngrrl
06-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Fuzzy, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your signature!!!

Skul
06-04-2013, 11:00 AM
What is the age that is recommended for them to bond to a new person? Right now I am carrying them around in a pouch for about 5-6 hours a day and they are all happy but if Mrs.Lovely does adopt the boy, I don't know what age that should be.tinfoil
Once they are "peopled", they can re-bond with most other folks.
Six to eight weeks seems to be the norm. If the person is very familiar and comfortable with flyers, five would work.

Earth Mama
06-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Hello:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Earth Mama
06-04-2013, 02:09 PM
p.s. that picture of Laz isn't his nest, it's him sleeping on my chest, inside my hoodie. Too cute:flash3

SammysMom
06-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Hold on tight...I am gonna relocate you to non-life threatening!tinfoil

IrishHarps
06-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Awww :Love_Icon I bet you have no problem finding good homes for these babies!

Earth Mama
06-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the re-location! :thankyou I think someone excellent is going to adopt the baby boy, and I have no problem taking care of one ( or both, if that's how it turns out) of the girls. I would have no issue of taking care of all 3 forever, but I just don't have the space for 2 ( or 3) of the size cages that I would need for them and I don't want to keep the male and females together. If Luna ends up being NR, I will probably not ship Lucy off on her own, I just couldn't do it unless she had a release buddy. If I have NR's I will build MASSIVE cages for them, it's just how I feel about it personally. I just love them so much ( in case I haven't already mentioned that like 8 million times) :wahoo

Earth Mama
06-06-2013, 01:20 PM
So Laz aka Lorenzo aka Little small dog aspirated a teeny bit this morning. He was trying snarf down his FV a little too much and sneezed and sniffled. I guess you don't realize how dedicated you are until you are sucking milk out of a squirrel's nose:rotfl . Anyhow, I'm sure I got it all but I talked to Christal (Mrs.Skul) about it and she just told me to watch him close. Luna had a sneezy fit a couple weeks ago and was fine. I told him he needs to be on his best behavior ( no more snarfing) because CM is going to be coming to collect her new baby this week :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon I am sad to see him go, but super excited at the same time, that he will have a fabulous mamma and supreme cage, built to his special needs :)

Earth Mama
06-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Darn backup dancers, it's supposed to say Crittermom... not CM

IrishHarps
06-06-2013, 02:02 PM
That's awesome that she is coming to get him so soon! Nice thing is, even if he does get a little sick, she is totally experienced and would know how to handle it.

I freaked out when Momo was little and she got sneezy for a bit, and she was just fine, but I know how it feels - if anything is different at all, the 'mom' instinct kicks in and you go into full-blown caregiver mode, over-analyzing every little poop! I've, uh, never been like that.... (sure)

Earth Mama
06-06-2013, 02:04 PM
LOL, I am crazy overprotective. I've been called a hovercraft and helicopter mom. It's awful haha:soapbox

CritterMom
06-06-2013, 02:22 PM
It will actually probably be the middle of next week before I get up there to get him but FM has everything she needs meds wise should she have to. I have a lot of getting ready to do!

Unikorngrrl
06-06-2013, 03:19 PM
It will actually probably be the middle of next week before I get up there to get him but FM has everything she needs meds wise should she have to. I have a lot of getting ready to do!
Awe so sweet!! I can tell you're getting excited!! CritterMom is gonna be a Flyer Mom too!!! :jump

Earth Mama
06-06-2013, 04:39 PM
I've been watching him like a hawk, well not a hawk, because he'd probably be scared ( duh) but no clicks or anything. :squirrel1 He's just a little piggie hehe

SammysMom
06-06-2013, 04:48 PM
:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

MollyBear361
06-06-2013, 09:24 PM
They are all so cute!!!!!!!!:thumbsup

Fireweed
06-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Coolio to hear the back-up dancers are taking in a flyer! :alright.gif Fuzzy Mama, you've been amazing. So glad you're here on TSB. :grouphug

SammysMom
06-06-2013, 11:17 PM
:goodpost
Coolio to hear the back-up dancers are taking in a flyer! :alright.gif Fuzzy Mama, you've been amazing. So glad you're here on TSB. :grouphug

Earth Mama
06-13-2013, 05:07 AM
Today is the day that CritterMom and her CM are coming to pick up their new baby! I am going to cry but I am soooo happy that he will be with such a lovely new mama! :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

flyer girl
06-13-2013, 06:22 AM
It is always sad to give one up but you know that he is going to a good home Congrats on these babies...You did a great job with these little ones..:grouphug :wave123

CritterMom
06-13-2013, 06:44 AM
I have to swing by the barn, and I will be outa here.:thumbsup

Earth Mama
06-13-2013, 07:24 AM
I'll have the coffee ready! :crazy :multi :flash3

Earth Mama
06-13-2013, 07:25 AM
They are all looking great! Laz is at 30.4, Lucy is 32.5 and Luna is 33.7. I love me some fat fuzzy babies!

IrishHarps
06-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Yay!! I was wondering how they were doing :-) I'm excited to see new updates from CritterMom soon!

Earth Mama
06-13-2013, 08:43 AM
I want to start a thread for the girls, to post updates and pics, but where do I put it? I am reluctant to post on this one because I don't want it clogging up the help needed! I just got my computer fixed so I haven't been able to post pics, but I have a million haha:D :grouphug :jump

IrishHarps
06-13-2013, 09:03 AM
TSB> Breed Specific, Pet Squirrels, and UK Information > Breed Specific > Flying Squirrel Forum is where we all live :)

Fireweed
06-13-2013, 12:02 PM
OMG--I'm so JEALOUS you and the CM get to meeeeet!
How FUN! Have a great time and can't wait to see Laz's new thread! Did you EVER think you were going to be flyer squammy, Critz?

Fuzzy, get those pics up in a new thread asap, girl! Some of us have been waiting (im)patiently for updates on your little angels. :D

CritterMom
06-13-2013, 12:33 PM
We're home!! Laz slept right on top of the hot hands pack all the way home - I don't think he even knew anything weird was happening!

I have a lot to do guys but will update you later. What a QT he is! OMG - I just know poor FM (she isn't really fuzzy just in case you wondered) is probably still bawling her eyes out and I feel like such a meanie.

A meanie with a totally adorable little flying squirrel that is!!!:jump :jump :jump

MollyBear361
06-13-2013, 12:40 PM
:thumbsup

MollyBear361
06-13-2013, 12:41 PM
TSB> Breed Specific, Pet Squirrels, and UK Information > Breed Specific > Flying Squirrel Forum is where we all live :)
:Welcome

CritterMom
06-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Gee, I don't want to brag, but guess who just found a little piece of HHB that P left on my bed and proceeded to spend the next half hour nomming down on it? OMG - so cute - he sat back on his butt and used all four feetsies to hold it! I am thinking that those squirrel HHBs I ordered are going to be happily accepted!

I am off now to spend some time with a pumice stone. Apparently, sallouses are completely unacceptable on my hands. Either I am going to remove them or he will do it for me - I am betting the pumice is going to feel better...

Earth Mama
06-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Awwww!!!!!!!! I will be joining the flyer club haha:Love_Icon CritterMom, it was so nice to meet you! Kiss the boy for me! I miss him already lol. It was so hard seeing you drive away but I know he will be sooooo happy with you!!!:grouphug :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Earth Mama
06-13-2013, 05:08 PM
OMG--I'm so JEALOUS you and the CM get to meeeeet!
How FUN! Have a great time and can't wait to see Laz's new thread! Did you EVER think you were going to be flyer squammy, Critz?

Fuzzy, get those pics up in a new thread asap, girl! Some of us have been waiting (im)patiently for updates on your little angels. :D
The CM were awesome. She pulled up and they all jumped out and sang me a song:rotfl

Starfish
06-13-2013, 05:08 PM
[coment removed, should have read entire thread]

Earth Mama
06-13-2013, 05:10 PM
We're home!! Laz slept right on top of the hot hands pack all the way home - I don't think he even knew anything weird was happening!

I have a lot to do guys but will update you later. What a QT he is! OMG - I just know poor FM (she isn't really fuzzy just in case you wondered) is probably still bawling her eyes out and I feel like such a meanie.

A meanie with a totally adorable little flying squirrel that is!!!:jump :jump :jump

LOL, not a meanie at all. I'm really not fuzzy.. I wish I could change my name lol, I picked the name in a panic. Is there a way for me to change it? I'm going to post some pics.

Earth Mama
06-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Fat babies:grouphug

Fireweed
06-13-2013, 05:16 PM
:jump

Yeah, take yer time with the update--but HURRY UP! :poke

FM, :nono You can't change your name now. I won't allow it. Everytime I see your name I get "Crazy Mama" by JJ Cale in my head. The memories are great. So, really, what's a little fuzzy among Squeeps? :poke :D

Skul
06-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Stinker looks healthy. :thumbsup
If I remember right, he should be almost 6 weeks old.