PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering any other Squirrel Critter lovers in the Deep South ?

toybox
05-11-2013, 11:30 AM
tinfoil (Bow from the waist)

I'm just wondering if there are any other Squirrel Critter lovers in the Deep South? (Anywhere for that matter?)
I sort of got hooked when I started building Squirrel Feeder Peanut boxes in my spare time.. (I'll attach one or two pictures of my latest.)
I then found an injuried lil' squirrel (Mr Nuttsy Noodleman, RIP) and it was on!!
I haven't fostered a squirrel yet but I've found a cage and I'm gathering "In Case" equipment and supplies from lists/comments from some great TSB members! However, it sure would be nice to email other (maybe newbie) Squirrel Lovers like myself.. especially those nearer the North-West Florida climate/squirrel type.
I like pictures of SAVED squirrels too,
My Cox email is listed below

kastillo
05-11-2013, 12:02 PM
We always need more squirrel volunteers, I do believe I'm near you.

quagmire
05-11-2013, 07:19 PM
There are many squirrel lovers/rehabbers/homes in Florida and many are on this board. Keep an eye out.

I am in Sebring, FL and although my NR Quagmire passed away in March, I feed a momma squirrel and two generations of her young in my backyard. The momma has been around about 3 years now.

toybox
05-12-2013, 02:41 AM
tinfoil (Slight Bow) Kastillo I'm from near Destin Fl in the Redneck Riviera:D
How did you get started?
Any regrets other than the usual of being a pet owner?
What's the most difficult thing while caring for your 5 furry kids?

ALmommy
05-13-2013, 08:36 AM
I am in Mobile- very near NW FL. I love your feeders- they're so creative!

kastillo
05-13-2013, 09:15 AM
tinfoil (Slight Bow) Kastillo I'm from near Destin Fl in the Redneck Riviera:D
How did you get started?
Any regrets other than the usual of being a pet owner?
What's the most difficult thing while caring for your 5 furry kids?

I got started back in '08 when I got my first squirrel. Did everything wrong with her and 3 other babies I had that year.
She died a little over a year old, probably from bad diet.

I regret not having the right information sooner. I had 7 squirrels last year, 6 of them has made it to the trees. I found TSB in september last year.
Now I have 7 more getting ready to go outside. And two more in the release cage, I'm releasing for a friend.

I'm by no means a seasoned rehabber, but I do love my squirrels, and with the right information and knowledge, I have done right by all of them since I found TSB.

I also regret not being able to quit my job and rehab full time so I can save more, LOL!

The most difficult thing is lack of time and sleep. Someone is always needing feeding, cage cleaning, laundry done, meds, etc. round the clock. But, hey, I love it! I know it's what I was born to do!

Now if I just had one or two of your nifty feeders in my backyard... :poke :jump :jump