PDA

View Full Version : combining litters of fox squirrels?

sdreamcatcher
05-07-2013, 03:02 PM
I have two babies and want to add another. Star's are probably a bit older and one is pretty good size; the other is smaller. Jasmine is small but fiesty. All are very wild and I don't handle them; I did catch out Star's with a towel today to transfer them to a larger cage (not as big as I would like but the biggest I have that's not in use) I tried searching for a post on how to do this; google searches brought up nothing. I am GUESSING current ages on these guys to be MAYBE 12 week mark? Can it be done? Will they fight? I know they do better released together. :thinking :thinking

Argh, trying to prepare them all for release; Butchie and Joey are being rotated in the only outdoor cage I have; Sammy and Rocky I have NO CLUE what to do with..... :shakehead To add to my stress, Star's outside baby is now in our backyard apple tree; I pray she comes and guides him or her safely home soon (the nest is in the front yard maple; access is tricky even for adults....):sanp3

island rehabber
05-07-2013, 04:01 PM
How many kids would be in one cage together who don't know each other, and how big is that cage? (Trying to visualize so I can help :))

sdreamcatcher
05-07-2013, 04:12 PM
How many kids would be in one cage together who don't know each other, and how big is that cage? (Trying to visualize so I can help :))

Star's two babies (I'm embarrassed to discover I am not sure on gender with those two they move so quick :shakehead ). Jasmine is from another litter. Three babies total would be in this cage. Cage is about 22 wide by 22 long by 60 high. Tiny I know but all I have right now; Butchie and Joey are rotating outside time in the bigger cage. I have branches and boxes and feeding shelves in the baby cage -- lots of stuff to keep them busy. I had Chipper, Rocky and Sammy in an even smaller cage last year but they also had out of cage time. THese guys I can't give that to until I find someone to take Rocky and Sammy.

Squirrel juggling :shakehead :shakehead

sdreamcatcher
05-08-2013, 12:16 PM
I ended up combining them and they are doing pretty good :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon . Jasmine is a bit defensive; she is younger I think, now that I see them all together. But she did sniff noses with one of them this morning, and the older babies are more curious then anything. It is awesome having them all together; I was really worried about Jasmine being all alone.