PDA

View Full Version : Release Tips

A<3L
05-05-2013, 10:23 PM
It is not time now but I am very nervous for when it is time to let me babies go. Ive read about putting the cage outside and letting them inside at night so they will be protected and letting them go during the day to become familiar with the outdoors and how to survive.
I have soo many questions and would love any tips possible.
I would like to do this myself rather than letting a rehabber just because theyre my babies (;
How do I make sure they come back at night? How will I know its my babies and not some other squirrels? what do I do if other squirrels enter their cage and eat their snacks? They were raised by me and not a squirrel so they dont know how to defend them selves or look for food, will they figure this out on their own? If so how long will it take for them to learn that?
Sorry, lots of questions and very nervous I want to make sure I have every last detail down so when the time comes I am going to be ready and they will too and make sure they will be ok.
Hahaha this is gonna hard ): getting teary eyed thinking about it!

Saverywood
05-06-2013, 06:26 AM
It is not time now but I am very nervous for when it is time to let me babies go. Ive read about putting the cage outside and letting them inside at night so they will be protected and letting them go during the day to become familiar with the outdoors and how to survive.Depends on time of year and weather, here in NC it is warm, wet and full blown spring (love it) so I will put their cage on my porch for a week or more, so that they are still slightly protected, but they get the nighttime noises too. After that I will move them to one of the big release cages out back, deep in the woods, close to all the other wild squirrels & critters.
I have soo many questions and would love any tips possible.
I would like to do this myself rather than letting a rehabber just because theyre my babies (;
How do I make sure they come back at night? Some of mine do come back and sleep in their release cage nest box and some hit the trees and I don't see them for a few days.How will I know its my babies and not some other squirrels? "]I just know my little ones; you will too.:)[/COLOR] what do I do if other squirrels enter their cage and eat their snacks? Mostly only my releases enter a cage; wilds are usually too afraid to go inside, esp. if you are using a release cage that has a sq. portal entry.They were raised by me and not a squirrel so they dont know how to defend them selves or look for food, will they figure this out on their own? If so how long will it take for them to learn that?That is one of the reason for putting them inside a release cage out in the woods, they see and hear all the other squirrels, and yet they are still safe. My r/c have tree branches, ropes, and space enough to climb, jump, and resting places for them to sit & watch. Plus a nest box, hammock and usually another nest cube too.Sorry, lots of questions and very nervous I want to make sure I have every last detail down so when the time comes I am going to be ready and they will too and make sure they will be ok.
Hahaha this is gonna hard ): getting teary eyed thinking about it!

Lots of good info here on TSB about soft releases. :thumbsup Good questions.