PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn Tree branches and leaves???

SammySquirrel
05-04-2013, 02:57 PM
I have squirrels I have wintered. I am releasing them in stages. I was just wondering if Popcorn Tree branches and leaves are ok to give my last to-be-released as cage foliage??

CrazySquirrelLady
05-04-2013, 04:09 PM
I have squirrels I have wintered. I am releasing them in stages. I was just wondering if Popcorn Tree branches and leaves are ok to give my last to-be-released as cage foliage??

you talking about the small popcorn buds on the lower branches of marijuana plants? dont think it is legal !!!!

SammySquirrel
05-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Oh my... no.. :sanp3
I live down south and we have trees.. actual trees called popcorn trees. When they bloom they look like popcorn. and where ever those little buggers land. Poof.. got another tree popping up..

CritterMom
05-05-2013, 01:36 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triadica_sebifera

I see lots of "toxic" references.

SammySquirrel
05-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Thank you soo much.. I will stick with what i know.. safer.. lol

SquirtsMom
05-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Hi everyone! So a few days ago I went to get Squirt a Henry's block and saw they were molded. I ordered more but have been trying to give Squirt some other things until the new ones arrived. This morning I went out acorn picking and did the float test and found only a few that would sink. I gave it to Squirt, and at first he didn't know what the heck to do with it. He just kept rolling it around the cage, biting at it and then looking at it and me like, what the heck is this lady! Well he finally got one open. How many should I give him during a day? He has already had some lettuce today, formula (because his 12 weeks old butt still wants his bottles) and a quarter of a walnut. I have other things from the nutrition list but he's so picky. I just want to make sure I don't over do it! THANK YOU!

CrazySquirrelLady
05-10-2013, 12:48 PM
2-3 a day is good.

warning. acorns make the pee pee look like it is bloody. don't freak out.

SquirtsMom
05-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Thank you so much and thank you for telling me about the change in color to the pee. I would have been beside myself!!!

CritterMom
05-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Hi everyone! So a few days ago I went to get Squirt a Henry's block and saw they were molded. I ordered more but have been trying to give Squirt some other things until the new ones arrived. This morning I went out acorn picking and did the float test and found only a few that would sink. I gave it to Squirt, and at first he didn't know what the heck to do with it. He just kept rolling it around the cage, biting at it and then looking at it and me like, what the heck is this lady! Well he finally got one open. How many should I give him during a day? He has already had some lettuce today, formula (because his 12 weeks old butt still wants his bottles) and a quarter of a walnut. I have other things from the nutrition list but he's so picky. I just want to make sure I don't over do it! THANK YOU!

If you buy the HHBs in bulk, keep the excess in the freezer and refrigerate the others. I have been feeding these for years and have never seen them mold - but they DO require refrigeration.