PDA

View Full Version : Sick squirrel?

CaseyB
04-28-2013, 10:06 AM
We have a squirrel that appears to be sick and/or hurt.

We found her in the back yard and she was agitated and looked like she had a bloody nose. She was pretty noisy and looked like she was laboring to breathe. She was taking deep breaths from her mouth and acted just like a human with a stuffy nose. You could see a light clear fluid bubble from her nose when whe would breathe.

We broke out the cage and she ate a few nuts and drank some water. She continued to be noisy off an on and seemed to sleep a little.

This morning, we noticed a slight discharge from her eye and her one nostril has a dull white discharge.

Any ideas?

kastillo
04-28-2013, 11:10 AM
:bump

She might have taken a fall and broke her face.

Is she a wild you were able to cage??
If so, she needs meds ASAP. Most wilds cannot be picked up and caged so easily unless they are very disoriented or close to death.

I'll let the experts chime in on meds, but she probably needs something for swelling, or some steroids if it is a head injury.

lilidukes
04-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Can you post a pic?

What part of the state are you in?

CaseyB
04-28-2013, 12:35 PM
I don't know how to upload on here, everytime the pictures are very large. She is eating. I seen her go potty. Mainly sleeping which is good. she makes a squeky sound. I have no Dex on hand.

jbtartell
04-28-2013, 12:47 PM
I live in sc where dpo you live.. u can pm me.. and if I am close enough I will help..:thumbsup

jbtartell
04-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Also she need medical attention.. I have everything to do this.. I have meds and supplies pm you my number,,:thumbsup

lilidukes
04-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Talked to Casey on the phone. Older baby with banged up nose. She is now talking to Laura. They are in the same town. Going to get this little girl ab's and metacam for the swelling.

Casey is dyslexic typing is difficult for get.

Warmest wishes for this banged up baby girl.:grouphug

jbtartell
04-28-2013, 01:34 PM
casey is coming to my house in 30 minute will up date after all is done..:thumbsup

lilidukes
04-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Laura asked me to post that little girl is spending the night with her to start meds and she will take her to the vet in the morning to have her checked out. Then she will go home with Casey tomorrow.

Great job Casey and Laura!

jbtartell
04-28-2013, 03:58 PM
ok she is on heat her energy is great she is taking food great. she has a snotty nose and she has been injured but I am kinda worried about how injured so I am giving her time to calm down and fill her belly up and then I will check her more closely.. when I tryed she was reall upset soo i will try again after she is calmer and I wanna get her nose clean and give her meds.. soo that is my next step.. At a guess I would say she is a little over 200 grams. I will get her on the scale soon. I will call my vet in the morning to see if they can see her.. I know her face hurts.. no doupt. just want to make sure it is ok..:thumbsup

farrelli
04-28-2013, 04:03 PM
:thankyou for helping her!

jbtartell
04-28-2013, 05:58 PM
got meds in her and her name is Lilly.. Casey was really nice and caring.. and lilly is such a sweet squirrel.. she is wild and dont like being held much but I have gained her trust to pet her and she has had some meds for pain and swelling and abs.. soo we will see how this helps..:thumbsup

kastillo
04-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Thank you for helping this baby and it's finder.:thankyou :thumbsup

MJS
04-29-2013, 07:24 AM
:wave123 HAPPY TO SEE THIS...:thumbsup HOW IS LILLY THIS MORNING?

jbtartell
04-29-2013, 08:26 AM
she is fine gave her little wild self her meds she ate good and let me pet her but there is no holding her with out forse.. she has lot of energy and she sees vet at 11:30:thumbsup

jbtartell
04-29-2013, 11:37 AM
soo she has a clean bill of health and on baytril nd medicam.. she has a bad nose engery that is getting better since yesterday.. no more white snot:thumbsup she is doing great and will be releasable.. :D got to watch da fingers though cause she dont playtinfoil

jbtartell
04-30-2013, 07:46 AM
lilly is doing much better.. last update.. she is out of the woods..:thumbsup