PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

EmmasMummy
03-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know if local petstores carry rodent block?

And does anyone have any tips for keeps their cage from smelling SO fast?

And does anyone know where I can get a 5cc syringe? I was going to order all of that but I dont see the point in paying 5 dollars for shipping for a 5 dollar order!

island rehabber
03-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Emma I don't believe pet stores carry rodent block. You should go to a website like Chris Clark's www.squirrelsandmore.com and you can order everything there with only one shipping cost.....your 5cc syringes, your rodent block (either Zupreem or Mazuri), and anything else you need. She'll ship it fast to you if necessary. As for the cage smelling, I find it's usually veggies that stink up the place so if there are a lot of uneaten veggie pieces on the floor of the cage, remove them before they rot. I've also resorted to a thin layer of unscented kitty litter at the bottom of cages to absorb the urine, which contributes to stinkiness.

EmmasMummy
03-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Thats where I was going to order it from. My order total was 5.55 but it was 5$.

My squirrels are still pretty little so they dont eat veggies yet. Its just the urine that stinks. I didnt think you could put kitty litter in there.

island rehabber
03-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Thats where I was going to order it from. My order total was 5.55 but it was 5$.

My squirrels are still pretty little so they dont eat veggies yet. Its just the urine that stinks. I didnt think you could put kitty litter in there.

You can, as long as it's unscented it won't harm them. If you don't want to do that, however, you can also use a couple layers of paper towels and change them frequently. Please be aware, though, that if their urine REALLY smells, it could be a sign of urinary tract infection.

Mars
03-09-2007, 04:21 PM
A strong urine smell can also mean dehydration. Try adding an exact feeding of just fluids once or twice a day and see if this doesn't help.

EmmasMummy
03-09-2007, 04:50 PM
So should i try some pedialyte a few times? I dont see how they would be dehydrated. And a uti?

EmmasMummy
03-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Okay i think you may be right about the squirrels being dehydrated. I am going to give them some pedialyte. How much do you think i should give them? and exactly what are the signs of dehydration?

Mars
03-09-2007, 05:50 PM
If you tent the skin at the scruff and it remains tented or very slowly returns to flat, if the gums are pale and sticky, if the eyes look dry and sunken, if the coat is scruffy think dehydration.