PDA

View Full Version : Yarn

Lady G
04-22-2013, 09:27 AM
I do alot of needlework projects and have alot of scrap yarn left over.

I save it for the Squirrels, my question is - when should I put it out for them for their nesting? Late in the Spring or early Summer in California.

:)

Nancy in New York
04-22-2013, 09:30 AM
I do alot of needlework projects and have alot of scrap yarn left over.

I save it for the Squirrels, my question is - when should I put it out for them for their nesting? Late in the Spring or early Summer in California.

:)

Personally I would NEVER put it out. :nono It can get tangled in their little legs and tails. I had a friend that had to have all of the baby squirrels tails removed because there was something that was in the nest that mama made that wrapped around all of their tails, and cut off the blood supply.
It was a nice thought, but really dangerous. :grouphug

CritterMom
04-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Personally I would NEVER put it out. :nono It can get tangled in their little legs and tails. I had a friend that had to have all of the baby squirrels tails removed because there was something that was in the nest that mama made that wrapped around all of their tails, and cut off the blood supply.
It was a nice thought, but really dangerous. :grouphug

Unless you cut it into VERY short lengths - nothing longer than an inch - so it is too short to wind.

Honestly, what is much better to put out is the sheet polyfil that is used inside quilts. You want the polyester stuff, not the cotton. It is odd stuff, soft anw warm but it doesn't hold any water so rain won't make it all soggy. It acts as insect barrier in a nest, too.

Nancy in New York
04-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Unless you cut it into VERY short lengths - nothing longer than an inch - so it is too short to wind.

Honestly, what is much better to put out is the sheet polyfil that is used inside quilts. You want the polyester stuff, not the cotton. It is odd stuff, soft anw warm but it doesn't hold any water so rain won't make it all soggy. It acts as insect barrier in a nest, too.

That's a good idea about cutting it into small lengths. I bet the birds would love that too for nesting material.:thumbsup

MJS
04-22-2013, 09:47 AM

OR DO LIKE I DID...LEAVE SOME OLD PORCH SWING PILLOWS OUTSIDE LONG ENOUGH FOR SOMEONE TO RIP THEM OPEN, DRAG OUT THE POLYFIL AND CARRY IT UP THE MAGNOLIA TREE (LEAVING A TRAIL) TO THE NEST SHE WAS BUILDING. :jump :jump :jump WE FOUND A BUNCH OF IT UNDER THE TREE AND COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT HAPPENED :dono :dono :dono :thinking UNTIL...WE LOOKED UP!!! :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

CritterMom
04-22-2013, 10:07 AM
OR DO LIKE I DID...LEAVE SOME OLD PORCH SWING PILLOWS OUTSIDE LONG ENOUGH FOR SOMEONE TO RIP THEM OPEN, DRAG OUT THE POLYFIL AND CARRY IT UP THE MAGNOLIA TREE (LEAVING A TRAIL) TO THE NEST SHE WAS BUILDING. :jump :jump :jump WE FOUND A BUNCH OF IT UNDER THE TREE AND COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT HAPPENED :dono :dono :dono :thinking UNTIL...WE LOOKED UP!!! :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Yeah, well, while I was writing that I was *pretending* that while the baskets of polyfill that I set out for nests is soundly rejected, several throw pillows have met their deaths due to disembowling on the front porch. I think it "works" better if you hunt and kill your own...

Lady G
04-22-2013, 03:12 PM
All I have is tiny pieces left anyway. :thankyou . Yeah never thought about the birds liking it as well :grouphug