PDA

View Full Version : ants

A<3L
04-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Ants are getting in my babies cage and eating their walnuts and the ants are Everywhere, how do I get rid of the ants without harming the squirrels or moving their cage?

Nancy in New York
04-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Contact MiriamS, send her a pm. She had ants, now I can't find the thread, but I believe someone suggested cinnamon. Wished I could find the thread.:dono

SammysMom
04-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Cinnamon! That's it! I couldn't find it either...:shakehead

Squirrel Girls Mom
04-14-2013, 11:10 AM
My niece used cinnamon along a window sill where ants were coming in and then poured vinegar outside along the foundation. I'm not sure which one worked, but she stopped the ants from coming in her kitchen window. This is an outside cage I assume? Maybe pour vinegar around in a circle around the outside bottom of the cage?

I found a website that might help:
http://frugalliving.about.com/od/doityourself/tp/Get_Rid_of_Ants_Cheaply.htm

A<3L
04-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Cinnamon is ok inside the cage?

Squirrel Girls Mom
04-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Cinnamon is ok inside the cage?

I, personally, wouldn't put it in the cage. I'd put it all around the outer perimeter. :dono

A<3L
04-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Ok, thanks so much (:

farrelli
04-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Are you sure that the ants aren't arriving IN the walnuts? I once cracked open some walnuts from a bag of mixed nuts and all of them had ants in them. None of the other nuts. I looked it up and ants apparently love walnuts. They're tasty and a convenient, protected home.

Rhapsody
04-14-2013, 04:41 PM
I always use Downy dryer sheets to keep the ants away and they work like a charm...... just rip
them in half and tie around each leg at the bottom of the cage.... and there will be no more ants.

Nancy in New York
04-14-2013, 05:09 PM
I always use Downy dryer sheets to keep the ants away and they work like a charm...... just rip
them in half and tie around each leg at the bottom of the cage.... and there will be no more ants.

WOW that's great to know!

jbtartell
04-14-2013, 08:25 PM

I agree with Nancy is is good to know I was fixing to say I am having ant problem too.. :thinking

SammysMom
04-14-2013, 08:29 PM

WOW!!! I know we use them in the bar to keep fruit flies away. I had no idea they worked for ants too!!!:wahoo

farrelli
04-14-2013, 09:06 PM
So, essentially people are laundering their clothing with pesticide strips? :tilt

Rhapsody
04-14-2013, 09:17 PM
WOW!!! I know we use them in the bar to keep fruit flies away. I had no idea they worked for ants too!!!:wahooYep..... they came in handy when I had some Sugar Gliders in the house and the ants loved the BML mix the gliders ate...... the Downy sheets got to work and kept those pesty ants away from the Sugar Gliders cage and their yummy food.

CrazySquirrelLady
04-15-2013, 06:36 AM
Go outside and track the ants. There is a product called TERRO, that works great, but it has ARSENIC in it, so be careful.