PDA

View Full Version : Fostering baby, needing guidance

Helping Melinda
04-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Hello all! I am so very glad to have found this forum!

My boyfriend and I are fostering a baby, we've named this pretty lady Melinda. She was found by his mom's co-worker.
This man found Melinda and her sibling Thursday. He said he noticed them bundled up in some leaves for some time and when he went outside they ran right up to him and were both freezing and thin. He took them in, but her sibling didn't make it through the night. His wife couldn't find any help for her and couldn't care for her, so she made the husband make sure to find someone who would give her the attention, love, and nourishment that she needs. So we received Melinda Friday night.

By what I have read, I believe she is a gray squirrel who is closer to six weeks. She has fur, her eyes are opened, her tail is furry, not super fluffy, but nice and furry, it curls also (melts my heart!), and she definitely has some upper teeth and pretty sure some bottom teeth as well. She goes potty on her on in the designated 'potty box'. She climbs and seems to be super fast. She's also very vocal when feeding and I pull the feeder away to get more.

They had been feeding her kitten formula. Since my friend had fostered a squirrel I knew this was no good so we bought week 0 puppy formula with goat's milk. Melinda was passing lil black pellets, which seemed healthy. But Saturday morning started passing soft stools, then by Sunday full blown diarrhea. We found your forum yesterday.

So this is what I have started with today-
1 pint warm water-1 tsp salt- 3 tsp sugar.

She seemed to enjoy it but only ate a full tablespoon worth. She urinated, no bowl movement, but also no uncontrollable diarrhea (so that's gotta be good, right?) and went back into her burrow hole (fleece like blanket that in a long box with a heating pad on low underneath the blanket-I also put a pillow case over the heating pack) and is now asleep.

I plan on doing another 'home pedialyte' feeding next and then later this evening give her the formula mix ( Goat's milk, heavy whipping cream, and Dannon all natural plain yogurt ) which I haven't fed to her yet. I make sure to sterilize everything that has been used in the feeding process. Every time.

My boyfriend says I am far too over-protective of Melinda, but having such a precious, fragile life on my hands makes me very scared of messing anything up. I love her dearly. So when she developed diarrhea I was so upset because I was obviously doing something wrong, and I just want to get this precious back to healthy, give her a great temporary home and prepare her for her own environment. I also am terrified of her aspirating. She tries to eat so fast and I don't allow it and then she gets mad and starts to yell at me. I feed her with a dropper ( just at this time as I am having a hard time finding the syringe, tried a bottle and she refuses, tried the dropper and she ate, again I am going on another mission today to find a syringe!).

So I am scared to feed her the formula because I read on 10 pages not to ever feed a baby goat milk, then the next 10 say to feed the baby goat's milk. :thinking So I am very concerned. But seeing as you folks have done this more than once, I feel this is the right route.

When feeding, I make sure she has been bundled up and is super warm to the touch. I bundle her body up, but allow the front paws to be free. I feed her until she doesn't take anymore. Usually 1- 1 1/2 Tablespoons. Then she goes to the potty box where I let her do her business. Try to keep her bottom as clean as possible with cotton swabs. Then it's back to Melinda's burrow hole for some warmth and sleep. We made her a 'nesting pad'. It's a small box that's taped up with a round hole at the bottom front. We lined the inside of the box with a fleece like material. She seems to like to hang out in there sporadically. I am going to cut slices out of one of the fleece blankets to give to her so she can hopefully learn how to build a nest in her nesting pad.

Since she is growing so fast, she can now pop the lid off of her box that she sleeps in. So for when we sleep we put her in a cat carrier that I cleaned and lined with some more of the material used in her nesting pad, bundle her up in her fleece blanket and put her in there for her sleep safely.

Sorry this is so incredibly long, but I figured I would try to explain as much I can in the beginning so we can all be on the same page.

Any guidance is GREATLY APPRECIATED as well as criticism if I am doing things wrong.

Thank you for taking the time for this extremely long post and thank you for helping me Help Melinda!!! :thankyou :peace

SammysMom
04-08-2013, 01:26 PM
:Welcome You are in the right place for everything SQUIRREL!!! Below I will post some general info that it sounds like you have already read. You can start the goat's milk formula without the cream to start. After 24 - 48 hours on that if all is going well and no more diarrhea, you can begin to add cream to it. If you haven't already, you will need a gram scale, 1 cc and 3 cc syringes and Fox Valley formula for squirrels. This is NOT an inexpensive project and it is very labor intensive. We can certainly try to help you to find someone here who can take the baby and hopefully add it to another group that they have as they do best with other squirrels to grow up with.

1) Is the baby uninjured? Is mom still around? and if so, warm the baby and place in a safe spot where mom can reunite if possible. Mom will not take a cold baby!
2) Okay, so you couldn’t reunite with mom. Start by warming the baby in a plastic container full of fleece or tee shirt material. (Not towels as the loops catch little claws and can cause injury) Place the container half on a heating pad that is set on low. It needs to be a heating pad that does not have an automatic shut-off. It needs to be half on and half off so that the baby can get off of the heat if it gets too hot.
3) Check to see if the baby is dehydrated. You can do this by gently picking up the skin on the back of the baby’s shoulders. If the skin goes right back down it is not dehydrated. If the skin remains “tented” for a time, you will need to rehydrate with Pedialyte or homemade Pedialyte.

Hydrate them right away (use a 1cc syringe and go slow)........ give some homemade pedialyte every hour for six to eight hours and then you can start start feeding them some formula made from goats milk (if they are thoroughly hydrated).
Pedialyte for no more than 24 hours!!! Too much sodium!!

Homemade Pedialyte
1 cup warm water
1/4 tsp salt (teaspoon)
1 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)

Feed slowly with a 1cc syringe - head UP tail DOWN
Keep warm at all time – If no heating pad available fill bottle with hot water (cover bottle with sock) or fill a sock with dry rice or beans and microwave. Be sure to squish the rice or beans around to be sure there are no hot spots that might burn the babies.

4) Once rehydrated begin to feed Fox Valley formula which can be ordered from http://foxvalleynutrition.com or while waiting for that to arrive use recipe below. As a general rule you will feed 5 - 7% of their body weight per feeding

Homemade Goats Milk Recipe -

1 cup Goats Milk * (if can - dilute)
1/3 cup Full Fat Vanilla Yogurt
1/3 cup Heavy Cream (frig section)

(lasts 72 hours in frig)
5) This information is really just meant to get you through until you can get the baby or babies to an experienced rehabber. If you are here on The Squirrel Board, you have access to all of the information you could ever need about squirrels. Most importantly there is generally someone here who can help to find you someone who can take the babies and prepare them for life in the trees. The trees are where they are meant to be and people here know how to get them safely there!

SammysMom
04-08-2013, 01:34 PM
:thankyou so much for helping this little one! I just want to make you aware of what they entail as it is not easy. In order to do it properly, you will want to read read read here at TSB. We love squirrels and want to help them and their caregivers.:grouphug
You will soon need a proper cage for the baby. Many people here find great cages on Craig's List and Ebay. Cat carriers are notoriously chewed through by these little devils :D . Cages are one of the many expenses I was referring to. You need a variety of sizes as they grow all culminating in a large outdoor cage that they remain in for several weeks getting ready for release. Do you have a place that is suitable for releasing? One that is not also inhabited by predators like cats and dogs?

Sweet Simon's Mommy
04-08-2013, 01:38 PM
no heavey cream if she still has the runs.
If you are going to do this you need to get rodent block and Fox Valley formula
both of which you can get here.
However, single squirrel are hard to release, she would be better with some one who has other babies her age so she can be a squirrel.

Helping Melinda
04-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Thank you all!
:thumbsup
I forgot to mention this in the first one..

My friend that raised a squirrel still has the huge cage that she had inside, then took outside for him to adjust. She said she would clean it up and let us get it asap. I believe its 3 level rat cage. It's huge and her squirrel loved it!

Believe you me, I know this is a hard job. She's all I have been doing for the past 3 days. Feeding, cleaning, washing her bedding, playing, cuddling, and READING READING READING. Anything and everything I can about squirrels.

So for the formula I should hold off on adding the cream? Just the yogurt and goat's milk?

SammysMom
04-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Yes, no cream until you know her stool; is normal and firm!:thumbsup

SammysMom
04-08-2013, 01:59 PM
What you want to do now is go to henryspets.com and order Fox Valley formula and Henry's Healthy Blocks - Growth formula. The blocks will be what you want to give as the first and only solid food until you know they are being eaten regularly. Then you will begin to introduce veggies. For now, formula and blocks are the way to go though. Get that order placed a.s.a.p. with Henry's. It is the best nutrition you can find!

Helping Melinda
04-08-2013, 03:25 PM
A whole buncha questions....

I got the Dannon all natural PLAIN yogurt. Couldn't find the vanilla. Is that okay to use in the formula instead of the vanilla kind?

I want to clean her up..
is Dr. Bronner's all natural soap okay to use?
I was thinking to use a small amount, get it nice and sudsy in my hand, then gently rub on belly, back, and tail? Rinse well, then super fluffy towel dry?

No cream until she's got solid droppings.

Should I do pedialyte only today then start the formula tomorrow? or should I give her formula later this evening?

I have thousands of questions! And am trying my hardest to keep her in good shape.

She definitely likes the pedilyte stuff. passed a lil diarrhea bout an hour ago. It was a very small amount though.She had another pedialyte feed bout an hour ago so that makes 2 so far today.

SammysMom
04-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Hydrate her for another couple of feedings. If you continue to hydrate once you are feeding her, use homemade pedi without the salt.
The yogurt is fine as long as it is full fat.
Bathing is best with Dawn dish detergent. A very weak mix of it with water. You've seen the commercials. They use it on wildlife all the time!!!:thumbsup
Not sure about the soap you mentioned. What are the ingredients? All natural does NOT mean it is gentle.

Helping Melinda
04-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Yogurt's good to go then! Hooray! :alright.gif

I was totally thinkin Dawn for the same reason! If they can clean all ocean wildlife from oil and grease certainly it'd be squirrel friendly. So that's cool, it makes me feel on track. I won't even risk the Dr. Bronner's since you know that the Dawn works. She's gettin an unpleasant odor about herself so I feel it necessary. I try to keep her chin and bottom as clean as possible, but have only been using warm water on a cotton ball.

Does all of the laundry need to be with detergent AND bleach. Or can hot water and detergent be okay? Bleach sketches me out. But if it's A MUST I'll use it. I've just been doing the hot water with detergent.

May I ask the best way of holding the baby to make sure she doesnt get free while I'm bathing her?

Also, would it be okay to put the heating pad to medium while she IS NOT in her bed, to ensure the blankets are plenty warm after bath and drying? When I put her in the bed I can turn it back to low or turn it off. I have never exceeded low. I have the heating pad in a pillow case under a sheet that is under the big fleece blanket.

SammysMom
04-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Sounds okay to me on the heating pad as long as you NEVER forget to turn it down. Overheating is as bad as being cold.
Bathing, head up and body down with your hand securely around her body. Be VERY careful not to allow her to get chilled. What sort of smell? Is it just from normal poop/pee or something else?
Wash in a very mild detergent only. Unscented is best. Their sinuses are very sensitive so bleach is pretty tough on them.
You are asking great questions that show you are really asking to learn the right way to do this. Ask anything you want right here and we will do our best to help you through it. Asking everything right here on the open board helps to get you answers right away as well as helping the next person who has the same questions. We love good questions!:thumbsup

Nancy in New York
04-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Yogurt's good to go then! Hooray! :alright.gif

I was totally thinkin Dawn for the same reason! If they can clean all ocean wildlife from oil and grease certainly it'd be squirrel friendly. So that's cool, it makes me feel on track. I won't even risk the Dr. Bronner's since you know that the Dawn works. She's gettin an unpleasant odor about herself so I feel it necessary. I try to keep her chin and bottom as clean as possible, but have only been using warm water on a cotton ball.

Does all of the laundry need to be with detergent AND bleach. Or can hot water and detergent be okay? Bleach sketches me out. But if it's A MUST I'll use it. I've just been doing the hot water with detergent.

May I ask the best way of holding the baby to make sure she doesnt get free while I'm bathing her?

Also, would it be okay to put the heating pad to medium while she IS NOT in her bed, to ensure the blankets are plenty warm after bath and drying? When I put her in the bed I can turn it back to low or turn it off. I have never exceeded low. I have the heating pad in a pillow case under a sheet that is under the big fleece blanket.

Just chiming in here and you may have mentioned this already....is the heating pad on the outside of the container?

Helping Melinda
04-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Just chiming in here and you may have mentioned this already....is the heating pad on the outside of the container?

Yep. It's in a pillow case, that's under a sheet, that's under the carrier.

Something super beautiful just happened!!!

:jump
The woman that rehabilitates squirrels just called me back!
I was hesitant at first because she said Melinda would be her first squirrel this season.
Then she said that she'll make sure to get some babies as they mate in February.
So Melinda will have other squirrel friends and that's awesome!
But what's even better...
The woman has not only been doing this for years, she's been a zookeeper for 12 years! And was saying how she has the blocks and uses FV!

:thumbsup

This makes me so very happy. This wonderful lady will be able to set Melinda up for life and I truly believe will give her a great life until she's back where she needs to be in the trees!

:wahoo

She's getting her tomorrow afternoon. I am so grateful for this opportunity! Aiding in saving an innocent creatures life is an amazing and heartwarming experience!

:thankyou all for your helpful advice and knowledge on our squirrel friends! :D

SammysMom
04-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Very cool!!! And giving her to an experienced rehabber is an act of true caring!:thumbsup
If you would PM me the info for the rehabber and what area she is from I would love to add it to my potential helper list.:thankyou

Helping Melinda
04-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Melinda is now in the safe hands of a wonderful woman to rehab her.

I am so happy that she'll be able to get the life she deserves.
But I woke up today and she was the first thing I thought of and broke down crying.
It's like I have this GINORMOUS gaping hole in my heart.
I am terrified that Melinda thinks I gave up on her (I just couldn't stand caging her).
What I did was the right thing and I keep telling myself that. I am so angry with myself for being selfish and wanting her back and crying about it. Yes 25 years old and am crying like a baby.
I am so grateful to have had this experience.
She was such a blessing to me and my friend was right... we were supposed to be connected in this life.

I am hoping so much that Megan (the zoo keeper/rehabber) will release her in the zoo with the other gray squirrels (said there's 6 there this year running around). I feel like Melinda would remember me. And since she's had human interaction I feel she would enjoy wildlife with people walking around from afar. Megan said if she doesn't take her to the zoo she'll release her at her parents house on the lake where there is plenty of woods and no cats or dogs running around (which makes me feel comfortable).

I am so happy and so sad at the same time. Giving her to Megan was one of the hardest and saddest things I have ever done, but I know it was right. I'm just not sure how to fill this hole in my heart.. I guess time will heal :dono

But I want to thank all of you for your guidance advice and support through this experience. I wouldn't have been able to keep her in such good condition without you all so :thankyou :D :thumbsup