PDA

View Full Version : HELP! New baby..pinkie. Barely even a week.

Sabrina
04-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Alright, well...another tree cutting results in a orphaned baby squirrel. No idea what type yet, is so tiny, serious pinky, absolutely NO fur what so ever. I've never had one this young, the youngest I've had was 4 weeks tops. Do I still do everything the same? I know I am going to have to feed him more often, I'm pretty sure it's a boy. Gave him some pedialite and he drank that right up, doesn't seem too dehydrated so that's good. Should I start him on the FV? and is there anything else I should know about newborns?:dono

island rehabber
04-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Sabrina, if he still has an umbilical cord hanging, he is less than a week old. If he has just a tiny dot on his belly button he is 7-10 days old. If there is no dot, no cord, he is more than 10 days old.

That said, you'll want to get him hydrated and start him on Fox Valley 32/40, preferably with their Ultra Boost product added as well. Pinkies like their formula VERY warm, almost hot to the touch. (100-102*) He'll need to be fed every 3- 3.5 hours. Through the night.

If you've never done a pinky before it can be very exhausting and challenging. Would you like us to try to find an experienced pinky rehabber for you?

Rhapsody
04-06-2013, 08:07 PM
He needs to be warmed and hydrated for at least 8 hours before you start him on FV --prob at a 25/75 mixture...... then work your way up to the 1:2 mix over the next few days.
Feed every 3 hours around the clocks (24/7) --and go slow...... one drop at a time, keep him and the formula warm at all times.

Sabrina
04-06-2013, 08:15 PM
I'll be able to do it, I wake up a lot during the night right now anyway to go to the bathroom or just can't sleep. I'm 5 months pregnant :) But I can do the night feedings no problem. Just ordered some FV 32/40 for the baby but it won't be here for like 4 days. What do I do in the mean time? He can't have Mimi's milk can he? The 20/50, it does say for 4 weeks and over. So what do I feed him?

Rhapsody
04-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Here is basic instructions for pinkie care.....
http://mothernaturesrescue.webs.com/pinkiecare.htm

kcassidy
04-06-2013, 08:17 PM
I felt the same way 9 days ago :)

Here is my thread and I'm a licensed rehabber, so don't feel bad about being worried

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39809

3 to 3.5 hour feedings, they need more warmth than a furred kid, warmer formula too.

The first week I didn't see poop every feeding, don't panick.

Also do a search on Bug, here in The Nursery.

I didn't use GM, I just started on diluted FV 32/40. With hydration in between feedings for the first 24 hours.

island rehabber
04-06-2013, 08:19 PM
I'll be able to do it, I wake up a lot during the night right now anyway to go to the bathroom or just can't sleep. I'm 5 months pregnant :) But I can do the night feedings no problem. Just ordered some FV 32/40 for the baby but it won't be here for like 4 days. What do I do in the mean time? He can't have Mimi's milk can he? The 20/50, it does say for 4 weeks and over. So what do I feed him?
I would personally use the 20/50, but add a bit of yogurt to it. I normally don't add anything to FV except Ultra Boost (which you should add to your order! ) but the 20/50 has less protein than a pinky really needs, so the yogurt will help that. Anyone who thinks I've got this wrong, PLEASE chime in -- as I said, I am not one who adds to FV so someone else may have a good idea. What I do not think you should do is start this baby on goat's milk and then switch him to FV when it arrives. Switching pinkies is dangerous and usually results in a circus of GI issues.

Rhapsody
04-06-2013, 08:22 PM
I would personally use the 20/50, but add a bit of yogurt to it.
---the 20/50 has less protein than a pinky really needs, so the yogurt will help that
I agree with you here IR!! -- :thumbsup

Sabrina
04-06-2013, 08:31 PM
alright great :) I was a little worried about trying him on goats milk. Well at least I think its a boy, but that might be his umbilical cord :/

island rehabber
04-06-2013, 09:19 PM
alright great :) I was a little worried about trying him on goats milk. Well at least I think its a boy, but that might be his umbilical cord :/

If it's a long black squiggly thread, or a round little black dot, it's the cord.
If it looks like a weenie, it's a weenie. :rofl4

SammysMom
04-06-2013, 09:33 PM
:rotfl
If it's a long black squiggly thread, or a round little black dot, it's the cord.
If it looks like a weenie, it's a weenie. :rofl4

Sabrina
04-06-2013, 10:16 PM
oh har har laugh it up lol. But its a little black dot so it just might be a girl after all :rotfl

island rehabber
04-06-2013, 10:18 PM
oh har har laugh it up lol. But its a little black dot so it just might be a girl after all :rotfl

OK (hee heeee) black dot...that will fall off on the baby's 10th day of life. SO...now, do you see a little bumpy thing close below that dot, or is there a bumpy thing lower down between her legs?

Sabrina
04-06-2013, 10:24 PM
OK (hee heeee) black dot...that will fall off on the baby's 10th day of life. SO...now, do you see a little bumpy thing close below that dot, or is there a bumpy thing lower down between her legs?

bwaahahaha "bumpy thing" Well I'm sure its a MR. Bumpy thing now, there was a definite bump under the black dot lol.

Sabrina
04-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Oh and Mr. Bumpy weighs 17 grams lol

SammysMom
04-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Do NOT ever let that boy read this. He would be so embarrassed!!!:shakehead

Sabrina
04-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Do NOT ever let that boy read this. He would be so embarrassed!!!:shakehead

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl What are parents for then eh?

SammysMom
04-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Next thing will be bathtime pics posted on FB... :rotfl

Anne
04-06-2013, 10:31 PM
:rofl4 :rofl4 I so love pinkie seasons! In some ways I am quite jealous, but (:nono )not in others.:D Hang in there Sabina, I remember both your conditions!
You have received excellent information for pinkie care. Break out the heating pad and toast the little baby on low. 20/50 FV and yogurt is great-DO NOT add heavy cream-too hard on tiny tummies!

sid'smommy
04-06-2013, 10:33 PM
MUST SEE PICTURES ! :) (Not of the little weenie in particular, just of the baby) LOL I love pinkies! :crazy

Sabrina
04-06-2013, 10:39 PM
LOL alright, its just about feeding time again for both of my little babies. A little update on Mimi, her poop is totally back to normal now..no liquid at all, solid.

I'll take some pics of the newest addition now at feeding while I can, before he gets to squirming around everywhere lol.

I don't do the heating pad thing though, they have their own room that stays about 85 degrees, just checked on Mr. B a min ago to check for a bump and he was toasty warm and loving the fleece.

Shewhosweptforest
04-06-2013, 10:39 PM
:wave123 Good luck Sabrina..I guess you're in training for the next Pinkie:jump those late night feedings will be a breeze:) :grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

sid'smommy
04-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Arent you worried about them wiggling out of the fleece and getting to cold ? I thought they were supposed to be about 100 degrees, but I might have that wrong. ??

Sabrina
04-06-2013, 11:13 PM
nah, the fleece is inside a good size box for him, not small and not too big, he nestled in and curled up to sleep. I keep checking to make sure his temp stays warm and he ate for me pretty well. Had to be patient with the nipple but as soon as it was in his mouth he latched on and started sucking :) didn't take a lot and we went VERY slowly, but afterward, between Mimi and I..we got him to pee and poop a lot. So proud of my little girl. Took pics of both but will upload tomorrow. Must sleep to wake again in 3 hours lol.

sid'smommy
04-06-2013, 11:40 PM
nah, the fleece is inside a good size box for him, not small and not too big, he nestled in and curled up to sleep. I keep checking to make sure his temp stays warm and he ate for me pretty well. Had to be patient with the nipple but as soon as it was in his mouth he latched on and started sucking :) didn't take a lot and we went VERY slowly, but afterward, between Mimi and I..we got him to pee and poop a lot. So proud of my little girl. Took pics of both but will upload tomorrow. Must sleep to wake again in 3 hours lol.
Ahhh.. 3 hr feedings.... i remember so well....:)

kastillo
04-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Please pictures!!! :multi :poke I wanna see the tiny one. Mine are all furred now, smh.... I miss the pinkies!

It's funny though, I forgot how I was a walking zombie for 6 weeks..... hmmm... it's like forgetting childbirth pain.

Sabrina
04-07-2013, 02:17 AM
Well, since I am awake for the 2 am feeding, might as well do the pics. Mimi is getting so big so fast it seems.

island rehabber
04-07-2013, 05:43 AM
Both look adorable and Mr Bumpy is looking nice and plump as a pinky should. Are you SURE about that room being warm enough,though? Number one concern for pinkies is WARMTH and they need it to be 88-90* at least, as if mamma was in there with them with her warm furry body. If he gets chilled, his digestion and everything else can go downhill. Just sayin'. :peace

Sabrina
04-07-2013, 06:10 AM
I think its ok, I turned up the heat a tiny bit just for their room, every time I got up to feed him he was warm to the touch. I think he will make it

island rehabber
04-07-2013, 06:45 AM
You can make him a little rice buddy, too. :)

Sabrina
04-07-2013, 08:34 AM
I might just do that, for a just in case :)

kcassidy
04-07-2013, 09:04 AM
IR - I must be really confused, the 32/40 says it is for Day one to 4 weeks, then 20/50 4 weeks and older.

What do the numbers actually represent and why are you guys recommending the 4 weeks + over the other?

I believe you all as you have way more experience, just trying to learn and I don't want to give out the wrong info to others.

Thanks,

Kim

Sabrina
04-07-2013, 09:55 AM
It's not that they were recommending the 20/50 over the 32/40. I just have never had a pinky before so I had to order the newborn stuff but in the mean time while I am waiting for it to come in the mail, I'm using the what is in my opinion the next best thing. I'm in no way an expert as well but I've gotten good advise :) And the little boy takes it like a champ and eats a healthy dose. And is already going to the bathroom right after. Of course it's already going yellow because of the milk :p

SammysMom
04-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Oh my goodness they are so cute!!!:Love_Icon In my opinion though, they need that heating pad heat like there mom would be. Directly on them. The trouble with the heat in a room is that the thermostat is up high and it only says that the temp right at that thermostat is 85 degrees. Even 6" lower in the room is going to be cooler. They need the steady heat that a heating pad provides for the development of their bodies and the digestion of food. They cannot regulate their bodies so it must come from a direct outside source. A rice buddy is a nice addition to their heat source, but the heating pad provides a steady source of a steady temperature.
PLEASE don't be upset at me for saying these things. I just know that you want to do the very best and pinkies are very specific in their needs. :grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

Sabrina
04-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Not upset at all :) the only issue is, where I am the only heating pads they sell are ones that shut off after an hour. :/ I've looked everywhere. But they all have that stupid safety put on them now.

SammysMom
04-07-2013, 10:26 AM
No CVS near you? I got mine there. I know Leigh sells them at http://henryspets.com/ for $17.00. I just don't want you to lose your little one. Heat is the MOST important thing with these tiny babies. I will send you one if you can't get one, but I am afraid it won't be soon enough. What large town are you closest to?

kastillo
04-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Yay pictures!!!! :wahoo

Ok, whew... I feel better now.:D

Sabrina
04-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Your CVS has the ones that don't shut off? Man, mine didn't. I'm in a pretty big city, even walmart didn't have it..I'll check CVS again just in case, I don't want to lose the little guy either.

Nancy in New York
04-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Your CVS has the ones that don't shut off? Man, mine didn't. I'm in a pretty big city, even walmart didn't have it..I'll check CVS again just in case, I don't want to lose the little guy either.

I'm thinking if worse comes to worse, I would get the heating pad that shuts off, and just reset it every two hours. It is SO critical they have that heat source.:tilt

Nancy in New York
04-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Just wanted to post this for informaiton purposes.

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/Baby%20Jeffrey%202009-20011/Heat%20Sources/001.jpg

SammysMom
04-07-2013, 11:04 AM
I found that it is actually the cheap ones that are most likely to not have a shut-off.

ques96
04-07-2013, 11:09 AM
I got my heating pad at Walmart. It has the option to stay on or auto shut off. Just switch it to stay on and you are good to go. It has 1-6 tempature settings as well. Hope this helps :-)

Sabrina
04-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Stupid walmart, the only one we had here was one that shuts off every hour. I have that one but I don't think its that good.

SammysMom
04-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Maybe if you plug it into a timer? Set the timer to go off before the pad shuts off and restart right away. Not sure if it will restart the pad or not though? Walgreens also had them. They don't necessarily "say" no shut-off, more like them don't say "auto shut off".

Sabrina
04-07-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm going to have to seriously look around later tonight when I can get to a store and see what I can do. So far so good with the digestion though.

SammysMom
04-07-2013, 04:48 PM
I am not trying to be an alarmist, but do see what you can do. You sometimes almost can't tell until it is a life threatening situation.

Sabrina
04-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Alright good news! I found a heating pad that doesn't shut off after an hour! And now for the bad news..stupid thing was $40! lol but I bought it anyways. It has 6 settings..so which one do I put it on for the pinky?

SammysMom
04-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Low should be good. Start with the lowest and see if it gets warm enough. You can go up, but you don't want to have it too hot and try to go down. I am going to buy a few of them when I see them on sale for such emergencies. :thankyou for getting it even though it was a bit pricey!:Love_Icon

Sabrina
04-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Wouldn't dream of not getting it, I don't want to lose the little guy! :thankyou

ques96
04-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Yep your not alone. That is what I paid for the only one I found. We live in a small town my husband likes to call mayberry :-)