PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!

cindymae
04-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Hello all! I am new here and excited to find this board! I am a mom to two human children, 2 dogs and a squirrel! I am grandma to a Guinea Pig and a Chinchilla.

We rescued our baby squirrel. She was about 6 weeks old, could not hardly move and was dehydrated severely. She is healthy and very active now. Her name is Heidi and she is spoiled rotten!
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/moonbugster/squirrel001.jpg

farrelli
04-03-2013, 11:23 PM
She's adorable. :Welcome

Could you tell us more about her, especially her diet? You'll quickly find out that we're very serious about diet here because getting it wrong probably causes most of the problems we see here.

stepnstone
04-03-2013, 11:43 PM
:Welcome Cindymae & Heidi :wave123
Heidi looks like a little doll baby. :D
How old is your baby now?
:poke I'm sure you can give us more then one picture...
We love pictures! :tilt

BamaHam
04-03-2013, 11:59 PM
WELCOME.......you've come to a great place. We all share squirrel stories and help each other. She's such a cutie.:Welcome

cindymae
04-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Thank you for the warm welcomes!

Heidi is now about 9 weeks old. Her diet consist mainly of fresh veggies. She enjoys apple slices and watermelon at times. She gets peanuts and pecans for treats. I had to wait until payday but have now ordered her some Mazuri Rodent Block, Zupreem Primate Dry Monkey Biscuits and a Manu Mineral Block that should be delivered in a few days along with some other yummy treats for her.

Of course I have more pictures and some videos as well! I was not sure if I should post more here or start a thread just for Heidi updates! :crazy I will have plenty, trust me!!

MollyBear361
04-04-2013, 02:43 PM
:Welcome 9 weeks?? Shouldn't she still be on formula?? Which kind did she used to get? Did she self wean that early????

farrelli
04-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Given that you've ordered blocks, I assume you know about their importance. Giving the right diet is absolutely key. If they don't get the right diet, especially calcium and the D to use it, they will get sick and die. Here is the chart about correct diets:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39275

And yes, it's a bit early to be off formula. They should take it as long as they want. What kind of formula was used?

MollyBear361
04-04-2013, 02:53 PM
CindyMae, when is the last time she got formula? Which kind? She may still need this for the nutrients. If that is her actual age, she should still be getting formula. Do you have any?
and BTW she is CUTE!!!! Do you have a scale that you can weigh her on? In grams. That will give a good indication if she is in her weight range. May be a little tricky with a 9 week old. :D

cindymae
04-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Well I can not get her to take formula. I have tried but she just wont take it. Maybe I should try again? I am in a very small town and the only thing I could find was PetLac puppy formula. Will that work? I do know that diet is extremely important and I want what is very best for her. She drinks water good and really enjoyed the pedilyte. My husband and I have been concerned about her nutrition.

stepnstone
04-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Puppy formula, kitten formula, esbilac, it's all junk as far as squirrels go. Proven time and time again as they do not thrive well on it even if they were to accept it.
Fox Valley is the preferred formula made for squirrels, it has to be ordered on line. http://www.henryspets.com/ In the meantime GM is the best to use until you can get an order of FV.

Here is the recipe for GM (Goat's milk) formula....

This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels may do better digestively if, instead of being given Fox Valley formula straight, mix the Fox Valley 50/50 with the Goat’s Milk Formula assembled WITHOUT the heavy whipping cream.

*It is recommended that when just starting to feed a new baby that the first feedings be made without the heavy whipping cream. This will give their digestive systems a chance to acclimate from mama’s milk to our substitute without the harder-to-digest whipping cream. Once they accept the formula and are eliminating properly, the whipping cream can be gradually added in.

When your Fox Valley formula arrives, please transition your babies to the new formula slowly, by blending the Goat’s Milk Formula with the blended and liquefied Fox Valley formula, increasing the ratio of Fox Valley with each feeding until you are no longer using the goat’s milk.

Personally, I would try with the GM first. If she has already through circumstance weaned early ordering FV will not change that.
Definitely make sure she is getting her daily requirements of block, even more important for weaned babies!

stepnstone
04-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Just read back and noticed there has been no mention of HHB's.
Henry's Healthy Blocks are formulated for squirrels, just two blocks per day
can provide all the essential nutrients your squirrel needs to stay healthy.

You can check out that information on the site here... http://www.henryspets.com/

cindymae
04-04-2013, 06:46 PM
So I am to mix the Goats milk, whipping cream and yogurt? If so how much of each?

I weighed her and she weighs 5.5 ounces so approx 155 grams.

farrelli
04-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Here's the link to the GM recipe:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29904

You should feed 5-7% of body weight at a feeding.

And the proper feeding technique is found here:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36777

cindymae
04-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Great! Thank you!

Skul
04-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Cindymae, you're doing fine.
At nine weeks, they're usually weaned, but, will still take some formula when offered.
It's good and beneficial if you can do that.
The basic diet you mentioned sounded good.
If you can, put some green tree twigs and leafed branches in with her.
Just for fun, offer the girl a fresh mushroom, and see what happens. :rotfl
I presume, you plan on release when the time is right?

cindymae
04-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Thank you Skul for a little boost!:)

I have not decided about the letting her go part yet. I will just take it as it goes. With as dry as it is here and as many squirrels are found dead, I am not sure I can ever let her go. She has stolen my heart!

kastillo
04-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Are you near that wildlife center in Texas that had over 400 baby squirrels?

MollyBear361
04-04-2013, 10:04 PM
No that Center is in Houston.

cindymae
04-04-2013, 10:37 PM
As Mollybea said, no and Houston is a long ways from me.

cindymae
04-05-2013, 12:59 AM
Here are a few more pictures of her so maybe you guys can help me figure out for sure her age. As I said, she weighs about 155 grams (5.5 ounces)

These pictures compare her to my hand. I am not a petite woman, so my hands are not really small. They are average though.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/moonbugster/squirrel006.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/moonbugster/squirrel005-1.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/moonbugster/squirrel002.jpg

Skul
04-05-2013, 01:05 AM
She's a pretty little squirrel.
As you've noticed, I'm about 40 miles NNE of Houston.
We both know that Texas almost as three time zones. :rofl4

MollyBear361
04-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Too cute!! :jump

island rehabber
04-05-2013, 06:50 AM
I'm thinking she is 8-9 wks old. A grey her size would be 10-11 wks, but I know foxers are about 30% larger. She is beautiful!

cindymae
04-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Three time zones Skul, and here I thought it wa four! :rotfl
That is what I had figured her to be as well island. When we found her I knew she could not have been more than 6 weeks. Thank you all, she is a pretty little girl!

MollyBear361
04-05-2013, 10:05 AM
What does everyone think about the Mazuri Rodent block ingredients below??

Guaranteed Analysis Crude protein (min.) 21%, crude fat (min.) 4.5%, crude fiber (max.) 7%, moisture (max.) 12%. Ingredients Ground yellow corn, dehulled soybean meal, ground wheat, ground oats, ground peanuts, dehydrated alfalfa meal, corn gluten meal, dried cane molasses, lignin sulfonate, fish meal, corn sugar, calcium carbonate, salt, dicalcium phosphate, animal fat (preserved with BHT), brewers dried yeast, dried beet pulp, dl-methionine, choline chloride, riboflavin supplement, ferrous carbonate, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, ethoxyquin (a preservative), l-lysine, zinc oxide, niacin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), copper oxide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, biotin, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite, natural flavoring.

What else should CindyMae be feeding her if she won't take formula???

MollyBear361
04-05-2013, 10:07 AM
BTW my foxers love pumpkin squash and grapes for a treat. In fact, when I put out red seedless grapes still (they are released) those are gone immediately! Oh, and small amounts of avocado. Avocado squirrel crack. :D

cindymae
04-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Well I got the stuff to make the Goats Milk formula and I have tried giving it to her with a just using the syringe, with a nipple, in a small bowl and off my finger. She just will not take it. I finally just held her and forced a little in her mouth hoping that once she got the taste of it, she would want more and nope! Not working. :dono I am going to try again later though, I am not giving up!

farrelli
04-05-2013, 04:10 PM
You can also try putting some molasses, Kayro, etc. on the end of the nipple to tempt her tummy.

cindymae
04-06-2013, 01:32 PM
No one has said what they think about the blocks I have ordered . . .would like some feedback as to what you guys think. I want to make sure she is what she needs!

The ingredients in the blocks ordered are as follows:
Guaranteed Analysis Crude protein (min.) 21%, crude fat (min.) 4.5%, crude fiber (max.) 7%, moisture (max.) 12%. Ingredients Ground yellow corn, dehulled soybean meal, ground wheat, ground oats, ground peanuts, dehydrated alfalfa meal, corn gluten meal, dried cane molasses, lignin sulfonate, fish meal, corn sugar, calcium carbonate, salt, dicalcium phosphate, animal fat (preserved with BHT), brewers dried yeast, dried beet pulp, dl-methionine, choline chloride, riboflavin supplement, ferrous carbonate, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, ethoxyquin (a preservative), l-lysine, zinc oxide, niacin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), copper oxide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, biotin, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite, natural flavoring.

MollyBear361
04-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Maurice rodent block right?? Can someone chime in

SammysMom
04-06-2013, 01:37 PM
If they are Mazuri blocks they are okay to feed. The only issue I had with them was that Sammy is very picky and won't touch an blocks besides HHBs.:shakehead
They do need to eat a substantial amount of the Mazuri to get a balanced diet too.:thumbsup

kastillo
04-06-2013, 02:25 PM
She's cute. I wish we had foxers here.

cindymae
04-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Yes SammysMom, they are. I also have some of the Zupreem primate monkey biscuits coming as well. Maybe between them both she will do well. From what everyone recommends when the time comes to order again, I will probably try the HHB's.

Thank you Kastillo!

SammysMom
04-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I tried to go inexpensive when we started. Then I realized that throwing out blocks was not cost effective. HHBs are a bit more money and yet since they only have to eat 2 per day they are not really more in the long run...:peace

MJS
04-06-2013, 08:02 PM
:Welcome TO TSB...YOUR HEIDI GIRL IS GORGEOUS!!! GREAT PICS OF HER...LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING MORE...GREAT JOB :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup