PDA

View Full Version : Baby wont stop sucking on sibling

Lolie
03-31-2013, 06:22 PM
my friend who is fostering the 2 babies I got a few weeks ago says the sister will not stop sucking on her brother...if you know what I mean. Is there a way to stop that or do they need to be separated? It is making him raw.

SammysMom
03-31-2013, 06:56 PM
That can be dangerous for him. You can make a pair of "underpants" from a baby sock or wrap him with some athletic wrap. The kind that sticks to itself but not to skin.

farrelli
03-31-2013, 07:31 PM
You also might try feeding the hungry one more, or more often. Or give that one some hydration between feedings. Hopefully you know about how long after a feeding the behavior takes place, so you can give the hydration at that point.

Also, watch out for scabs on the penis which might interfere with urine flow. If that happens, a bladder can burst, so you'd have to soak him in warm water and get the scab off, but only if it's interfering with regular urination.

SammysMom
03-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Good point Farrelli! A bit more to eat is a great idea. How much do they weigh and how much and often are they eating?

Sq-and-Chippy-Lover
03-31-2013, 10:50 PM
Try some Bitter Apple spray on the the "boy part." That should stop the sucking. You can get it at any pet store. This happened to my boy squirrel too (although sometimes the boy sucks on himself).

If you can, separate the squirrels until the boy heals. It can become an emergency condition if he can no longer urinate.

CrazySquirrelLady
04-02-2013, 04:49 PM
i vote trying the baby sock with the toe cut out to make a little dress first...,

then bitter apple if that doesn't work maybe...???

good luck.

SammysMom
04-02-2013, 04:57 PM
The problem is that those bitter things can "sting" a bit. VERY sensitive spot especially when it is raw from the suckling...:shakehead

CrazySquirrelLady
04-02-2013, 06:10 PM
The problem is that those bitter things can "sting" a bit. VERY sensitive spot especially when it is raw from the suckling...:shakehead
i agree, besides who wants to torture a baby squirrel... ;)

I think i would do the sock idea first, then try the other idea SM had.

poor peepee!

SammysMom
04-02-2013, 06:33 PM
I agree! The sock is a great start! You can actually use a combo of the sock and the athletic tape to secure it at the waist.:thumbsup

Wonkawillie
04-02-2013, 07:14 PM
I need to stress how dangerous this could already be. If he is raw, then his penis can scab over. It happens very easily. Then he can not go pee and he will get sick, painful and can die. I noticed this happening with some babies I had last year. I gooped up the raw penis with antibiotic cream, and then when everything softened, I tickled the end of his penis with the butt end of a sewing needle. The pee sprayed out like it was blocked and under spressure.
I would then put the boy baby in a thin sock or knee high. Not so pleasant to suck fabric. The behaviour stopped, but I had to watch constantly for this.

SammysMom
04-02-2013, 08:19 PM
:thankyou Wonka!!!:thumbsup