PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions.

EmmasMummy
03-05-2007, 06:08 AM
Number one....Is Harts (i think thats how you spell it) brand okay?
Number two....what color is there poop supposed to be? Just curious.
And How come no body told me how fast they grow? I have had them a WEEK...and they are so big. They have HAIR, fur, whatever you call it. They barley had any when we got them. And they are CLIMBING.

Oh and to update my question. I uped their amount of feedings by one CC and they are gaining weight again. :)

island rehabber
03-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Number one....Is Harts (i think thats how you spell it) brand okay?
Number two....what color is there poop supposed to be? Just curious.
And How come no body told me how fast they grow? I have had them a WEEK...and they are so big. They have HAIR, fur, whatever you call it. They barley had any when we got them. And they are CLIMBING.

Oh and to update my question. I uped their amount of feedings by one CC and they are gaining weight again. :)
EM, Hartz brand of what? What product? To be honest, I can't think of anything Hartz makes that you would use for a squirrel.....as far as their products for dogs, cats and birds my personal opinion is that Hartz is NOT good.

Yes they grow fast....remember at 14-16 weeks they are ready for the big outdoors. And yes, they climb -- so make sure you always close the top of their basket or container, or close their cage door -- they WILL escape if they can, and that's how accidents happen. So long as their tummies don't look over-extended or hard, let them take a little more formula every day. I keep a calendar notebook with one page per day and I draw a column for each squirrel....then I note down how many cc's the baby took at each feeding. It really helps to see how individual babies progress. :)

Gabe
03-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Their poop should be little brown pellets.
Their formula should be 33% fat, 40% protein. What does the label on the Hartz tell you?

GhosTS
03-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Another thing to concider is the carbohydate % in the formula..From what I read, its the crucial factor in the milk formula for small mammals.Too much carbs as in cows milk, will cause diarrhea.I suggest you stick with the already tried and tested formula.Like Esbillac or Fox Valley.

EmmasMummy
03-05-2007, 08:50 AM
I was just curious. I was wanting to know though. I read that the two best are Esbilac and Just born....Is the just born good?

island rehabber
03-05-2007, 09:38 AM
I was just curious. I was wanting to know though. I read that the two best are Esbilac and Just born....Is the just born good?

I don't think Just Born has the right ratio of fats/carbs/protein for squirrels, EM. I would stick with Esbilac puppy powder or Fox Valley -- they have a formula specifically for baby squirrels which you can order online.