PDA

View Full Version : help me with my 2 baby sqirls pls!!!!

partybug
03-04-2007, 10:29 PM
i have 2 baby squirls about 2 to 3 weeks onwe male one female i have had them for one weel due to a tree fallin and they where in it and the mother did not come back for them they where good up till a few days ago and it seems to be gettin worse the boy more then the girl but both are very weak and dehidrated i talked to a vet and sh said 1/2cc pedialite every2 to 3 hrs along with half the serenge full kitten formula and 1/2cc sugar water 2 times dailywell i started that yesterday and today they have gotten worse so i called texas parks and wild life and they said the closest person was 2 hrs away they gave ne her home number i called her and she said stop everything no pedialite no kitten formula use the dog formula esbilac but use nothin the first 24 hrs only bottled water 1/2 every 2 hrs and see if they pull threw over nite if anyone can help me make them better pls tell me im so worried

island rehabber
03-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi -- check your other email, if you reply with your phone number I will call you ASAP. Otherwise if you don't want to do that then I would mix the Esbilac powder one part powder to THREE parts VERY WARM water and try to get them to take at least 1-2 cc;s ..... it sounds as if the babies are not receiving enough nourishment that's why they are weak. The best thing you can do is keep them warm and try to get some of the Esbilac into them...
Can you describe their age --- are they furred, eyes open, or pinkies or furred with eyes closed?

island rehabber
03-04-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm trying to stay awake until this person responds to at least one of my messages -- on or off the board. But hey, I'm not so young these days and it's getting past my bedtime......TS you may have to take over if I nod out :D

thundersquirrel
03-04-2007, 10:56 PM
yeah i emailed him/her too. on the address that bob gave us. it figures that as soon as i hit send this person responds on the board! :shakehead i'm crazy.

i'm getting a bit snoozy myself. lets hope we get a response soon, these babies don't sound well off.

partybug
03-05-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm trying to stay awake until this person responds to at least one of my messages -- on or off the board. But hey, I'm not so young these days and it's getting past my bedtime......TS you may have to take over if I nod out :D
yes my baby is hairy but eyes closed and i seen pics of diffrent age steps and she is 3 to 4 weelsi do have a few pics and would like to show them but not sure how this web sight all works yet

partybug
03-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi -- check your other email, if you reply with your phone number I will call you ASAP. Otherwise if you don't want to do that then I would mix the Esbilac powder one part powder to THREE parts VERY WARM water and try to get them to take at least 1-2 cc;s ..... it sounds as if the babies are not receiving enough nourishment that's why they are weak. The best thing you can do is keep them warm and try to get some of the Esbilac into them...
Can you describe their age --- are they furred, eyes open, or pinkies or furred with eyes closed?

i have been feedin her 1 cc every 2 hrs and i have moved it up to 2 cc now and she does have alot of pee but no bm at this time and when i first put her on the new milk she had diharah but not anymore

partybug
03-05-2007, 12:06 PM
ok im here and respondin sorry i lost one baby last night he was just to weak and his condition grew fast i was feedin him i just lost him i do still have th girl and she is suckin the bottle she is a little weak but eatin for me

island rehabber
03-05-2007, 12:16 PM
ok im here and respondin sorry i lost one baby last night he was just to weak and his condition grew fast i was feedin him i just lost him i do still have th girl and she is suckin the bottle she is a little weak but eatin for me

OK, if your little girl is 3-4 weeks old with fur she should be getting fed every 3-4 hours, five or six times per day. Do you have a way to weigh her in grams -- like a food scale or anything? If not, I would say she should be eating approximately 2.5 - 4cc's at each feeding -- I am going by my log book of what my squirrels that age took in at each feeding. Sooo -- it appears that you need to increase the amount she is getting and space the feedings out to 3-4 hours...giving her tummy a chance to digest each feeding before starting again. If she is taking to the Esbilac now I would not dilute it -- she needs the nourishment in full-strength which is one part Esbilac to TWO parts VERY warm water. Do you stimulate her to pee and poop? You need to take a warm, wet cloth and pat her genital area after each feeding to be sure that she does both.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
03-05-2007, 06:07 PM
How is she doing this evening? Is she adjusting well to the new feeding schedule and going ok? Good luck with her. I am very sorry to hear about your boy. I hope the girl is able to pull through.