PDA

View Full Version : Need help fast please read!

bobbb
03-03-2007, 07:55 PM
I live in florida and found a baby squirell about 4 days ago he seemed fine then he started have problems yesterday i took him to a vet who said it was dehydration. i have been feeding it pedialight every 20-30 mins and he stared getting better so i let him have a 2 hour break while i slept and now he is as bad as ever... so i started pedia every 15 mins and now hes somewhat ok somy quistion is how long does it usually take to get them back to being rehydrated and am i doing something wrong perhaps? any suggestion would be fine

squirrelfriend
03-03-2007, 08:03 PM
are you giving him Esbilac? It is a puppy formula that you can buy at most pet stores.

squirrelfriend
03-03-2007, 08:07 PM
he needs nurishment as well as hydration. Once he is rehydrated the Esbilac by itself will be enough. How old is he by the way? A heating pad under half of his encloser on low will keep warm while you are not holding him. Put it only half way so that he can go off of it when he is too warm.

squirrelfriend
03-03-2007, 08:10 PM
did he have any injuries when you got him?

what kind of squirrel is it?

Give him soft warm blankets or cloth to lay in to keep him warm. Baby squirrels can not hold their warmth on their own.

how much does it weigh?

do youhave any photos to help with diagnosis?

How did you find him?

bobbb
03-04-2007, 09:34 AM
he is probly 4-6 weeks old he has his eyes open but he is very small and when he walks he wobbles and falls... i think my main quistion here is when ever i seem to go a few hours with out a feeding be it sleep or work he goes back to looking lifeless and the only think he does is open his mouth and does a yawnish move but i think he is gasping but once i get him food it goes away within 15 mins.. is that normal for him to respond so badly so quickly?:dono

Preacher
03-04-2007, 09:48 AM
You might want to see if there is a rehabber in your area that could take the little one. I think even at that age they need more frequent feedins than you can offer right now. Like every 2 hours or so if I'm right, plus ya need to stimulate them to pee & poop.
As others asked, what are you feeding? How much?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
03-04-2007, 10:01 AM
He needs Esbillac As quickly as possible!!!!!
Its sounds as if you have rehydrated him & he now needs nourishment! There are probably no vets open today to get this so I will say go to a pet store and at least get him the canned esbillac & I will try and get you help to find a rehabber. You will also need a syringe to feed it, it sounds as if hes younger than 6 weeks if he is just starting to get around they are clumsy on their feet at first.

Gabe
03-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Rippie is right, he also needs heat. They become lifeless very quickly when they are cold, and when you hold him to feed him he is coming back around. The warmth of your hands is what makes him active again, not so much that you are feeding him.

Please get some Esbilac as soon as possible.

island rehabber
03-04-2007, 12:59 PM
bobbb, how is the little one? Were you able to get him some Esbilac? Let us know how he's doing, OK -- we're all concerned here. :dono

bobbb
03-04-2007, 02:58 PM
i have him on a heat pad ..
and to answer the feeding quistion i am feeding him just born brand milk replacer. Its a powder mix i found at a tractor supply store i quess its a milk replacer for puppies. The store guy said it would work on squirrels ..not sure if hes right. I stoped feeding him just pedialight lastnight at about 4am and strted on the milk replacer and he jumped back to health about an hour later and has been fine since then but just about 30 mins ago at 330pm he started acting all limp again i think it may be because he kept getting out of his box so i let him sleep in my shirt pocket for an hour maybe he cooled down?:dono

bobbb
03-04-2007, 03:01 PM
almost forgot..about how much i am feeding him im not sure i am just filling a 2cc syringe and feeding him till he does not want anymore which is maybe a 1/4 of the tube if that then he refuses to eat my shaking his head up and down... feeding him about once every 1-2 hours. on a side note he has not pooped since yesterday is that ok? i keep rubbing him and it doesnt seem to do anything

Gabe
03-04-2007, 03:05 PM
bobb, can you look at the label of the just born milk replacer and tell me how fat and how protein is in it? It is listed in percents. Also, is it liquid or powder?

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
03-04-2007, 03:33 PM
If the squirrel has its eyes open, it should only need about 4-5 feedings a day if it is healthy. Each feeding should be about 4 to 6cc when the eyes first open and then increasing from there. Do you know how much your squirrel weighs in grams. That will determine how much he needs to eat. I would definetely try to find a rehabber to either take them to or at least have them look him over and give you some instruction. Also, one squirrel raised on its own has a much harder time when it comes to release time. They do much better when they have a friend, it helps them learn to be squirrels. If your squirrel is not able to eat a full feeding (sounds like he can't) I would try feeding him every 2 hours or so and giving him the pedialyte in between feedings.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
03-04-2007, 04:21 PM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/margaretmowery_2006/ages.jpgHeres a cart for a better idea on age.Bob, another note: I am sorry this is a lot at once I know but keep him from family pets esp. Cats! They are lethal to squirrels their saliva alone will kill them.
:thumbsup Keep up informed..If you can tell us where you are located we may be able to help get you a rehabber.

bobbb
03-04-2007, 04:28 PM
ok he is now making a wimpering noise and some clicking sounds and my wife just dabed his nose and face cause she thought she saw a booger and there was a faint red (probly blood) and advise?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
03-04-2007, 04:31 PM
He is making a clicking sounds? Ok this is not what we want he may have aspirational pnemonia. Pick him up and listen real carefully to his lungs, are they clicking or was the sound coming from his nose.
Babies can aspirate easily.

bobbb
03-04-2007, 04:42 PM
the clicking sounds as if its s comming from both nose and lungs louder at the nose though ..also there is blood at the nostrils any advise?

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
03-04-2007, 04:46 PM
It sounds like pneumonia for sure! He needs to get to a vet or a rehabber ASAP. He will die if he doesn't get help. I am not sure what the blood is from but he could have serious problems. He will probably need to get on antibiotics for the pneumonia. The pneumonia is probably what is causing him not to be hungry. Where are you located? I can find a rehabber near your area for you. Here is a website with some rehabbers on it, if you tell me what state you are in I can find a lot more for you though. http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

bobbb
03-04-2007, 04:51 PM
going to rehabber thanks

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
03-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Bob where are you located give us the town and state so we can find you help this squirrel will die soon without help!!!! The rehabber would at least be able to help you with meds?

Gabe
03-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Bobb, I have to agree with everyone else here. It sounds like pneumonia. Your little guy may not make it another 24 hours without antibiotics. I think it is time he went to a rehabber in your area that is trained to raise squirrels and may have the proper antibiotics on hand to help him. Please let us help you find a rehabber.

thundersquirrel
03-04-2007, 04:59 PM
OK Bob- crash course on baby squirrels starting NOW.

The FIRST thing to do for a baby is give it heat. Heat heat heat. The squirrel should always be warm to the touch BUT not hot! If you have a nest for him, only put heat on ONE HALF of the nest. Make sure he can get away from the heat if he wants!!! Heat is always an option!

The SECOND thing is hydration. Sounds like you've got that covered. By now he should be hydrated.

The THIRD thing is formula. If the powder you're using is OK for puppies then it is probably OK for you squirrel. For his age, I would mix a three parts water to one part formula, STIR WELL! Make sure there are no chunks in the formula. It should be smooth. You also need to heat it. Not hot, just warm, and be sure it goes in his belly that way. Feed him with a syringe, 4-5 times a day (as said above).

I think he's had major aspiration and possibly over-feeding. For aspirational pneumonia, he'll need an antibiotic and you MUST change the way you feed him. Feed him slowly, VERY slowly, until he builds up a rhythm. Small squirts at a time! Make sure you pause to let him swallow.

Sometimes babies are so hungry for formula, they'll ignore their aspiration and keep eating. If he aspirates stop for a second! He might be mad but oh well! Signs of aspiration include a throwing back of the head, shaking the head, sneezing, formula coming out of the nose, or not swallowing the formula in his mouth.

The clicking you hear is formula in his air passages. Like I said, he needs an antibiotic. I agree with Gabe. It may be best for you to hand him over to a rehabber. For his sake. After all these steps, that may be the only way to save him.

Best of luck to you and him.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
03-04-2007, 05:01 PM
http://www.wildlife-international.org/EN/public/emergency/emergencyrehab.html
Here is a easier list to navigate!!
http://www.wildlife-international.org/EN/public/emergency/rehabresults.cfm?Specialties=Mammals&Country=US&Prov=Florida&City=&Submit=Search
here is the page for florida!!

thundersquirrel
03-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Oh, and to avoid over-feeding follow a simple rule- feel the belly. You know when your baby is done when they're belly feels like a day old balloon. Meaning that it should be round, but not tight! Babies will often want more than they can take! If you over-feed him too much he'll get bloat.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
03-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Glad he is headed to a rehabber. He will get all the help he needs there. I know it is hard to let them go to someone else, but you have done everything you can and he needs special treatment. It is the best thing for him. You are definetely doing the right thing! Be sure to tell us how it goes.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
03-04-2007, 05:33 PM
:thankyou for caring for the squirrel Bob!:bowdown

bobbb
03-04-2007, 07:29 PM
took him to the only vet open on sundays ..it was a 35 min drive each way but worth it at least he will get good treatmen now.. we are going to miss him though :shakehead

LynninIN
03-04-2007, 07:32 PM
took him to the only vet open on sundays ..it was a 35 min drive each way but worth it at least he will get good treatmen now.. we are going to miss him though :shakehead
I know it was hard to give the baby away but you did the right thing.

You saved a squirrels life today. Way to go Bob!:wott

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
03-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Bob you are a hero in our eyes!!! Thank you form the bottom of our hearts!! YOUR THE MAN!!:bowdown :bowdown He will live because of you!:alright.gif If I had an award I would give it to you for caring!! There are still caring loving people in the world!

Zelda's Mom
03-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks for having a :Love_Icon for our fuzzy tailed friends. Maybe the vet will let you finish caring for him.

And thank you, Bob! You are a hero to us.:thumbsup

Zelda, Dinker, Pepper, Speck, and of course me, Mom!

oh, can't forget Betta Bert!

thundersquirrel
03-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Just a question, did you GIVE him to the vet? Not a rehabber?

bobbb
03-05-2007, 10:25 AM
yes i gave him to the vet they said they will treat him for his problems and then release him to the rehabber they use

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
03-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Bob, that is the best news...I know they are wonderful and you will miss him, but with a rehabber he will have the chance to grow up with other squirrels and they learn from each other. And he will get his meds, that will help him. Your a good guy.