PDA

View Full Version : Introduce myself and ask your opinion (feeders)

toybox
03-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Hi, I'd like to introduce myself and ask for some opinions. I'll ask you to be honest (-:
The wife and I are retired. We love hand feeding the squirrels in our back yard and watching their antics. As you would expect I started building the plain old feeder peanut boxes to give me something to do. The boxes were (are) great fun and the squirrels are just over the top with silliness with them. Each time I'd have to repair or replace one of the boxes from the squirrel kids eating them I'd add something or build them a little different - until now I do each box in a little different theme, color or something. My young daughter thinks they are great and said I should sell some of them on Ebay or Craigslist... I don't think so. (Course she could be a little bias..)
Would a few of you other squirrel lovers tell me what you think -- Again please be nice. I'd like a few opinions... Maybe not body slammed to the forum walls. (:
Thanks, D and J

SammysMom
03-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Honest opinion...they are adorable! I must ask though, are you sure the paint is safe for them to consume? That and whether you have little stops to prevent little fingers from getting slammed.
If he answers to those questions re both yes, then definitely put them on Ebay and Craigslist! If you do, let us know where they are. Someone here may be interested too.:thumbsup

Milo's Mom
03-04-2013, 07:12 AM
I think they are beautiful! They add a bit of whimsy and fun to the average standard feeder. :thumbsup:thumbsup

Not sure if they (the feeders) get chewed on a lot or not, but some paint can be toxic. I believe the low VOC and water based paints are okay, but I am positive that the "food grade" paints are totally fine. (just some food for thought). Also, do you ever apply a natural oil to help protect and enhance the beauty of the wood? Again, something food grade would be best.

I think your daughter is spot on.....make'em and sell'em on E-bay, Etsy, Craigslist!!!

Milo's Mom
03-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Honest opinion...they are adorable! I must ask though, are you sure the paint is safe for them to consume? That and whether you have little stops to prevent little fingers from getting slammed.
If he answers to those questions re both yes, then definitely put them on Ebay and Craigslist! If you do, let us know where they are. Someone here may be interested too.:thumbsup

:goodpost:goodpost

toybox
03-05-2013, 03:04 AM
Thank you both for your opinons! I wondered about the paints myself? I'm using water based for both the paints and the varnishes. A cooking oil might work as suggested, but they might like the taste. They seem to chew on the paint colors the least. You know if they did like the taste they'd demolish the feeders in a week. Wonder who could say proof positive the water based wouldn't hurt them?

Jackie in Tampa
03-05-2013, 03:36 AM
interior/exterior latex paint is safe... since 1973 or 72:thinking
:thumbsup I think they are great, my concern is that type chaIN... :shakehead
yOU NEEDA BIG OPEN LINK... NOT A TOE CATCHER..
OTHERWISE, THEY ARE SQUIRRELICIOUS!
can't wait to see more!!!!
sorry caps..

toybox
03-05-2013, 04:29 AM
Jackie, Oh good thought! I was using the chain so they'd have something to hang on to... I'm going to have to watch the ones with chain and see if it's a problem? Easy enough to use bigger chain or plastic tubing over it.
- I don't want the little guys and girls hurt.

Anybody got any ideas what they'd pay if I tried to sell them (craig's list)? Doesn't matter - I put a zillion hours of labor in on each one.
The simple box type seem to be around $19 - $39 on the net.
Anybody got any ideas? Don't be afraid to speak up. I'm retired.
Thanks, D and J

Jackie in Tampa
03-05-2013, 04:37 AM
no plastic tubing... they will chew it in a NY minute!:D
they're like that ya know...:shakehead :D

Your boxes are precious!:bowdown
I sell old school homemade carriers here, they are made from as much recycled materials as I can get my hands on...
I use latex paint...I sell my carriers for $50...plus P&H
I am not getting rich and I too have more time in one than I get paid for, but on slow days...it's a win win.:)
The sqs have safe carriers and I have a few dollars nut fund!:thumbsup
good luck... they're great!!!!:bowdown

Anne
03-05-2013, 07:38 AM
I love them! With a slight change I bet they would make great nest boxes too :thumbsup . So glad to see another Florida squirrel lover sign up here and post, :Welcome

toybox
03-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Jackie, I was thinking to put the plastic tubing over the chains.. You're right though wouldn't take the little munchins long and they'd have it back to bare chain. I'll have to test and observe?
Can you post one of your homemade carriers for the board to see?
D and J
:thankyou

toybox
03-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Anne what do you think I'd have to do to make them nesting boxes. My last tries several years ago were complete failures. They were simple square roof'ed boxes with large holes mounted about 10 ft up pine trees.
(Got a feeling they took one look at my face and hightailed straight into the neighbors' yards.)

I'm still looking for opinions on what I should ask pricewise if I let my daughter sell them on craig's list?? :sanp3 (:
Thanks, D

rocky63
03-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Toybox:wave123 very nice work! Being a carpenter my self and I know you put in a lot of time. I think you could get $35 to $55 per feeder depending on the size and theme.
Keep up the good work and please show us more:multi

toybox
03-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Thanks Rocky, I think I'm more of a disaster than a carpenter, but my heart is in the right place. I wish I could figure out other ideas... Anyone with a good idea I'll try to build it. I think a farm tractor next??? Hummmmm?
Thanks all for make us feel at home, :sanp3 I love that sign!
Dave and Jody

ConkerChild
03-07-2013, 12:32 AM
The tank is SWEET! For pictures, let alone a nestbox, that would be lots of fun! :D

Rhapsody
03-07-2013, 12:42 AM
HI and WELCOME to TSB....... love the BOXES!!

sid'smommy
03-07-2013, 02:17 AM
I have been looking for a John Deere tractor feeder. All I find around here Case or Massey Fergusson ... :D

farrelli
03-07-2013, 10:45 AM
I love your artwork, and yes, it's art. As long as you make the paint nontoxic and change the chain, these are the best feeders I've ever seen. And you definitely should look into making nest boxes. I would think that you could sell these things on eBay for at least $50-100 (more toward $100).

Sweet Simon's Mommy
03-07-2013, 11:19 AM
yes $50 or more with shipping, take your heaviest one to a UPS, have them figure out the farthest zip code from where you are and the size box you would need, it make go by weight or by denominational weight, it will be the highest cost for shipping but should be your price even if it is closer and cheaper . Trust me it will all add up in the end with you driving back and forth to ship.Plus packing supplies. I worked at a Pack and Ship for 13 years, had a lot of ebay people.
Domestic only, you don't want to get caught up in international sells with all the documents involved and fees.

toybox
03-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Thank you all so much for your suggestions (and warnings). I'm changing the small chains out as we speak!
Sid's Mom, thanks for the Case and Massey Fergusson joke. Your avatar for Sid(?) is so cute, Jody (my better half) went nuts! :sanp3
Dave and Jody

sid'smommy
04-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Thank you all so much for your suggestions (and warnings). I'm changing the small chains out as we speak!
Sid's Mom, thanks for the Case and Massey Fergusson joke. Your avatar for Sid(?) is so cute, Jody (my better half) went nuts! :sanp3
Dave and Jody
Ha Ha .. I just seen this. Thanks, I love my little Squidsy :D