PDA

View Full Version : Help: Poop Odor Normal?

sassiecath
03-03-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm new to this forum. I have never had a squirrel before.

I'm very concerned over the very strong odor this babies bowel movements have. Thick yellow runny poop with this horrible odor does not seem normal, but since this is a new experience for me I needed to ask.

A rescue book said to feed him only egg yoke mixed with 1/2 C. whole milk, warmed of course. I now see people feed a puppy formula. I think I should change to that. Now I have to find where to buy it. Can you get Powdered Esbilac at Petco???

Thanks for any help. I want to make sure this baby gets a good chance for re-release.

Cath...

skwerls_R_soft
03-03-2007, 01:15 PM
That is not the proper diet and may cause your baby harm and may well be the cause for the stinky poop. Baby squirrel poop has almost no odor and should not be runny. Esbilac powder mixed with warm water in the proper ratio is the right thing to feed a baby squirrel. I am not a rehabber but one will be here shortly to help you so stay tuned and someone qualified to help you will reply.

I have seen Esbilac at Petco. If you cannot find it you may want to try your local vets office. Just tell them it is for a puppy not a squirrel.
Good luck!!

Gabe
03-03-2007, 01:20 PM
I agree, Esbilac is what you need. Get the powedered, not the liquid. The liquid needs to be discarded after 72 hours and if you have not used it all, it is a waste of money.
If you tell them it is for a puppy, do not let them talk you into an inferior, cheaper brand. Insist on Esbilac it is 33% protein, 40% fat. Read the label, that is what you are looking for.
It's possible that your baby is dehydrating from the diarrhea, is the a wildlife rehabilitator near you that can help you?

LynninIN
03-03-2007, 04:38 PM
I've found the Esbilac both powered & canned at all of the local pet stores like Pet Smart & Feeder's Supply. If you can only find the canned or have a picky squirrel that wouldn't eat the powered like mine. :) Try putting the liquid in well covered ice cube trays and freezing. I pre measured mine so I knew the amount the squirrel was getting. To melt them, I put hot water in a bowl then the Esbilac ice cube in a smaller bowl inside to melt. You want the formula warm but not hot.

Pam
03-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Great idea Lynn! Roxy would only take the liquid, and I wasted so much with her. She also refused an eye dropper. We had to use syringes.

GhosTS
03-03-2007, 10:57 PM
This sounds like diarrhea..Thats BAD...you need to get Esbillac ASAP..Egg yolk and whole milk is very bad for squirrels...you need to throw away that book too..

Keep him hydrated...change to Esbilac little by little.over a period of 24 hours..At the end of 24 hours.Does the baby appear dehydrated.Do you have a wildlife rehabber near you.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
03-04-2007, 09:29 AM
I would contact a wildlife rehabber right away. How long have you had the babies? You definetly need to stop feeding the squirrels the egg yolk and whole milk, it will make them very sick and is probably causing the diarrhea. For now, get them off of that and give them a rehydrating solution (pedialyte) for at least two feedings. Then you will need to get the esbilac. I don't use that so I am not sure on the mixing instructions, but I am sure someone else can help you. That is the correct milk for baby squirrels and should help clear the problem up. You can get Esbilac at any pet store I think. We would all love to see pictures of you little ones. Hope they are feeling better very soon!

sassiecath
03-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Thank you so much for the reply & info. & your pictures were so cute! I didn't get any pics of my baby. I only had him 5 days & didn't get around to it.

Before I got your reply, (in between my question & going to the pet store to get the proper food) a lady called from a local rehab in responce to an email I sent out while online yesterday trying to get the right info for feeding & I was able to get the baby to her by 4pm yesterday. She is a micro-biologest & I was so happy the baby was going to be in better hands. I could have learned how to care for the baby, but not being certified I would have been in violation of the law & the baby was suffering from the ingnorance of a beginner. The rehab lady said she was very pleased that the baby looked so good & was very responsive but confirmmed that his diet & poop was deffinitly not good. She said her goal was to reunite him with his birth mom since we know where the nest is. I was especially happy to learn that the mothers will take babies back.

I'm so glad there was such a good forum out there to help & give me the leads I needed to place him in a better home.

Thanks so much again!!!!
Cath...

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
03-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Glad to hear you got him to a rehabber! Hope he does well.

sassiecath
03-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Just wanted EVERYONE who replied to my question to know how much I appreciated the guidance & words of encouragment.
I will be forwarding all this info to my niece who was originally misinformed & passed it along to us although she certainly meant well. She loves animals too & I know she will want to know the correct information.

Again, Thanks to all of you! :)

SassieCath

Secret Squirrel
03-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Sassiecath,
I commend you on your ability to rescue this little guy and to follow all the good advise given. You did the right thing by....
First, seeing the baby was in trouble by having foul bowl movements. :thumbsup
Second, by following the correct advise from knowlegdable members.:thumbsup
Third, by contacting a rehaber and getting that baby into more experenced hands. :thumbsup
Fourth, by getting the correct information to your niece :thumbsup
You have a natural talant or calling for nuturing, I hope you will conside becoming a rehaber to whatever capacity you can.

We need more people like you who are willing to go the extra mile for wildlife....Thank you :wahoo

GhosTS
03-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Its good to hear that you have passed the info.There are many incorrect info available on how to care for wildlife.Its very hard to find out whats right.Im glad you came here and get the info before its too late.