PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Hannah
02-22-2013, 06:07 AM
Hi, Everybody!

Well, I've actually been a member here for almost four years. But I've transitioned to a woman, so the name is new. :)

Let's see, I'm known for going outside when I have some free time, photographing wildlife, and repording my findings like some kind of pretend naturalist.

More recently my interest in rodents expanded into interest in their relatives, human beings (who I like to think of as smarter, larger rats.). And most currently, an interest in human gender and sexuality, which I find facinating but also a source of insecurity in people (including myself). Which is unfortunate, but things are slowly getting better.

So how are you all doing?

island rehabber
02-22-2013, 06:38 AM
Doing great, Hannah -- and glad to have you, and your always beautiful photos, with us again!

Hannah
02-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Hi, island rehabber! Great to hear you're having a nice morning. :wave123 (Glad to have you, too. :) )

stosh2010
02-22-2013, 07:33 AM
I'm doing the USUAL this morning...........

Shuffling Squirrels (5 Fuzzers)... Updating all my TSB threads....
and dreading going to WORK...Ha ! { not really }

Fireweed
02-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Hi, Hannah! :Welcome :D

gs1
02-22-2013, 02:31 PM
human beings (who I like to think of as smarter, larger rats.).

:D

you're an excellent naturalist:poke

:wave123 :Love_Icon :wave123

SammysMom
02-22-2013, 02:42 PM
:Welcome Hannah...
I have one point you make that I take issue with... What the heck makes you think humans are "smarter" than rats?:D
I'm glad it is getting better for you. Acceptance is VERY important and self-acceptance is the MOST important of all!
:grouphug :Love_Icon Hannah:Love_Icon :grouphug

Hi, Everybody!

Well, I've actually been a member here for almost four years. But I've transitioned to a woman, so the name is new. :)

Let's see, I'm known for going outside when I have some free time, photographing wildlife, and repording my findings like some kind of pretend naturalist.

More recently my interest in rodents expanded into interest in their relatives, human beings (who I like to think of as smarter, larger rats.). And most currently, an interest in human gender and sexuality, which I find facinating but also a source of insecurity in people (including myself). Which is unfortunate, but things are slowly getting better.

So how are you all doing?

Chickenlegs
02-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Hey Hannah! Sure am glad yur back!!!

Hannah
02-22-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm doing the USUAL this morning...........

Shuffling Squirrels
He...like poker. I think you were dealt a full house. :P Good luck, Stosh!

Hi, Fireweed! It's nice to meet you. :D

Hi, gs1. Stands for "Gray Squirrel 1," right? How are you?

What the heck makes you think humans are "smarter" than rats?
Well, I suppose it's only in the sense of averages, since it's possible that some rats are smarter than some humans. I guess if I picked the wrong species to be interested in, perhaps the rats will keep me around as a zoologist.

I'm glad it is getting better for you. Acceptance is VERY important and self-acceptance is the MOST important of all!
Thank you, SammysMom. :) Yes, self-acceptance is important...

Hi, Chickenlegs. Nice to talk to you again. I hope you're doing well. :)

newsquirrelmommy
02-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Hi & :Welcome Hannah!!:D

Skul
02-23-2013, 07:01 AM
I guess a new intro one way to get a name change out. :rotfl
Hope you find some foxers next trip out of the house.
I miss the shots you got when you were in Brookings.

Nemehoto
02-23-2013, 07:25 AM
I love your pictures! and Welcome Hannah, as with everything that changes, we need time to sort it out.

UDoWhat
02-23-2013, 10:10 AM
:wave123 Hello, Hannah. I am so glad you are back!!!! I have always enjoyed your field observations and wonderful pictures. :thumbsup

Marty

Hannah
02-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Hi, newsquirrelmommy and Squirt. :)

Oh, Skul. Yeah, I miss the fox squirrel from South Dakota, too. I hope I can find some here -- they were cute. :)

Hi, Nemehoto. Your name sounds Japanese. Does it have a meaning?

Thank you, UDoWhat (Marty). Good luck in your rehabbing. :)

Gosh, just thinking how nice everyone is to me here...thank you for being my friends. :)

SammysMom
02-24-2013, 08:41 AM
:nono never the need to say thank-you for being friends! Expect kindness and you will likely be pleasantly pleased...:Love_Icon
Especially here at TSB!:multi

stosh2010
02-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Gosh, just thinking how nice everyone is to me here...thank you for being my friends. :)
FRIENDS ....fer sher !!!

That reminds me of one of my favorite quotations:

From quiet homes and first beginning,
Out to the undiscovered ends,
There's nothing worth the wear of winning,
But laughter and the love of friends.
--Hilaire Belloc

Sweet Simon's Mommy
02-24-2013, 09:05 AM
:wave123 Hi Hannah...glad you came back !!!!
Can't wait to see more pics!!!

Nemehoto
02-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Nemehoto is a Native American word. Ne Meh Oto is Cheyenne or maybe Sioux for Foot of Butterfly Ones, I believe. My great grandfather called me that when I was a tiny little girl. It a nickname I cherish, and *snicker* he said it was beloved butterfly foot, but hey, I never got a chance to learn many native American words.

Skul
02-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Nemehoto is a Native American word. Ne Meh Oto is Cheyenne or maybe Sioux for Foot of Butterfly Ones, I believe. My great grandfather called me that when I was a tiny little girl. It a nickname I cherish, and *snicker* he said it was beloved butterfly foot, but hey, I never got a chance to learn many native American words.
That's a memory that lives. :)

bobby taylor
02-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Did I read this right that you had a sex change? Wow...

Skul
02-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Did I read this right that you had a sex change? Wow...
I don't think "change" is quite the word.
Hannah(Peter) isn't really changing anything.
Confuserates the crap out of me, but, I think she's doing that on purpose just to bug me. :D

Garden71
02-24-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't think "change" is quite the word.
Hannah(Peter) isn't really changing anything.
Confuserates the crap out of me, but, I think she's doing that on purpose just to bug me. :D

:goodpost

gs1
02-24-2013, 10:56 PM
:wave123 Hannah!!! yep... grey squirrel # 1 ....:D ... when i got up to gs5 squirrels ..it got confusing and i started giving them other names :D but gs1 was always the squirrel ...so she was rightly named.

I"m good ... hoping you are too .... :)

MJS
02-25-2013, 09:24 AM
:wave123 HEY HANNAH!!! GREETINGS FROM WV. YOU'VE BEEN HERE MUCH LONGER THAN I HAVE BUT I'M GLAD YOU STAYED. I REALLY ENJOY YOUR PHOTOS AND YOUR HONEST INTROSPECTION. LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE OF THE SAME...WISHING YOU SERENITY...YOU'RE ALWAYS AMONG FRIENDS HERE!!!

Hannah
02-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Hi, SammysMom. I don't think I can expect kindness... But it's nice to meet kind people like you. :)

I like that poem, stosh2010. :)

Hi, Sweet Simon's Mommy. Just watching your video -- Simon looks really happy. :)

That's beautiful, Nemehoto. :) Beloved butterfly foot...

Hi, bobby taylor. I haven't made any physical changes yet. I would like to, but it all boils down to finances, and none of that stuff is cheap. I would if I could, though, and I'm trying to do everything I can to feel better... :P

He...it's OK, Skul and Garden71. For the past year or two this has been confusing me, too. Well, actually my whole life. :D

Hi, gs1. It's a nice name. When I first started watching squirrels I was going to number them -- you know, like a good science person, but I figured for those reading, names would be better. He...nice to see you're still # 1. :D

gs1
02-25-2013, 09:38 AM
:D lol...yep.....:wave123

(love what MJS wrote too ...)

gs1
02-25-2013, 09:52 AM
hannah ... you missed this post.... she wrote at the same time as you ...

and i love what she wrote.....

and.... her initials m j s creates this mjs when together .... just like crittermoms c m CM :D fun!!!

:wave123 HEY HANNAH!!! GREETINGS FROM WV. YOU'VE BEEN HERE MUCH LONGER THAN I HAVE BUT I'M GLAD YOU STAYED. I REALLY ENJOY YOUR PHOTOS AND YOUR HONEST INTROSPECTION. LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE OF THE SAME...WISHING YOU SERENITY...YOU'RE ALWAYS AMONG FRIENDS HERE!!!

Charley Chuckles
02-25-2013, 09:55 AM
:Welcome back, I always enjoyed your pics :D

bobby taylor
02-25-2013, 01:56 PM
I love the name Hannah. One of my grand daughters is named Hanna. We are adopting her in the near future and she is going to change it to Hannah. Most biblical names are very pretty. Good luck with what ever you decide to be. From what all I have seen I dont know of one that is any better than the other. Men are raising hell with women and women doing the same with men...lol

island rehabber
02-25-2013, 04:15 PM
From what all I have seen I dont know of one that is any better than the other. Men are raising hell with women and women doing the same with men...lol

:rotfl:goodpost

Hannah
02-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Hi, MJS! Sorry I missed you, but thank you. I wish you serenity, too. :)

mjs -- you do make a squirrel. :D

Hi, Charley. Silly squirrel picture. :P I hope you're doing OK.

she is going to change it to Hannah

So she likes palendromes. So do I. :)

From what all I have seen I dont know of one that is any better than the other.
If I had a choice, I'd probably go with boy. It's simpler.

(And certainly wouldn't have picked transsexual...)

Men are raising hell with women and women doing the same with men...lol
Oh, I think they get along OK. I hope, anyway...

Have a nice evening, Bobby!

SammysMom
02-25-2013, 06:32 PM
My God we MUST expect kindness Hannah! :grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug
...and when we don't get it...be prepared to slap the bejesus out of 'em!:gun2

Charley Chuckles
02-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Yes Charley is doing well :thankyou he keeps me on my toes, he has a sister now too Little Girl :D :grouphug

Charley Chuckles
02-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Gayle you crack me up :rotfl :rotfl see this is why you can be PREZ at the VFW :poke :D

SammysMom
02-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Don't mean to threadjack, but yes Abby, it is my personal "motto" and it serves me well in the V.F.W. forum...:D
Gayle you crack me up :rotfl :rotfl see this is why you can be PREZ at the VFW :poke :D

Charley Chuckles
02-26-2013, 10:09 AM
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
Don't mean to threadjack, but yes Abby, it is my personal "motto" and it serves me well in the V.F.W. forum...:D

Hannah
02-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Oh, I don't know. I just expect people to be people... Some are more kind than others.

in the V.F.W. forum
Oh, and you're a vetran. I believe Skul is, too. Thank you both. :)

he has a sister now too Little Girl
Well, good luck to his sister, too.

MJS
02-26-2013, 10:36 AM
hannah ... you missed this post.... she wrote at the same time as you ...

and i love what she wrote.....

and.... her initials m j s creates this mjs when together .... just like crittermoms c m CM :D fun!!!
:wave123 HEY GS1 AND HANNAH. SO GLAD YOU BOTH LIKED WHAT I POSTED. IT WAS FROM THE HEART. GS1, YOU MISTAKENLY ASSUMED THAT I AM A FEMALE...HOW IRONIC AND HUMOROUS THAT THIS HAPPENED IN HANNAH'S THREAD. I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE DONE THE SAME THING ON THIS BOARD...BOTH WAYS!!! OF COURSE IT DOESN'T MATTER BUT ITS ALWAYS COMFORTING TO DISCOVER THAT YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl SECONDLY, I NEVER KNEW THAT MY INITIALS CREATED THE BIG, GOOFY SQUIRREL ICON. I JUST KNEW THAT EVERY TIME I TRIED TO PM SOMEONE MY EMAIL ADDRESS, THAT BIG OL' SQUIRREL WOULD BLOCK THE FIRST PART OF IT!!! :jump DIDN'T MEAN TO THREADJACK...JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE A LITTLE MORNING HUMOR.

Hannah
02-26-2013, 11:19 AM
I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE DONE THE SAME THING ON THIS BOARD...BOTH WAYS!!!
Yeah, about a third of the members have names that give no gender clues. I've always wondered if that was an attept to experiment with gender identity -- to see what it was like when people were unaware of your gender. It's nice to know you prefer the male gender identity, MJS. :)

Shewhosweptforest
02-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Hey Hannah! I am new to TSB and I think my daughter and husband may be getting a little jealous about the time I spend on here:) But when you find an outlet for your passions it is hard to slow down:crazy Now I too love studying nature and I am known for many crazy escapades :) from sweeping a Moccasin (snake not shoe) into the woods...after stepping "lightly" on it and it only gave me a warning tap to my leg! My kids favorite is when I stopped and picked up a stunned Vulture put it in the car and took it home. My daughter trapped in a carseat:crazy my kids love to rub that one in my face...no one was hurt...and the Vulture hung around for awhile (it's wing feathers were damaged so it stood out when flying) I have to admit it wasn't one of my smartest moves:thinking Anyway..I have a squirrel brain and go off on tangents:) I would love to see some of your pics so if you could tell me how:dono I would be grateful:bowdown

gs1
02-26-2013, 10:25 PM
M J S ofcourse i should have know that you're male.... lol.... totally looks like a male squirrel.

mjs :D and funny too ... in hannahs thread.... :D

MJS
02-27-2013, 07:36 PM
:jump :jump

SammysMom
02-27-2013, 07:43 PM
I am actually not a veteran. I am the president of the ladies' auxiliary. I do it to also say thank-you to all the men and women who served and serve now and in the future!:bowdown :Love_Icon :bowdown

Hannah
02-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Hi, Shewhosweptforest. Welcome to TSB. :) I'm glad you were able to help the vulture.

As far as my pictures, my thread is too long for anyone to really want to read it.

Here's my last summary: http://www.sciuridae.org/Field%20Observations/200809%20South%20Dakota,%20Brookings.html

I live in a new state now, though, so I have to start over with getting to know the wildlife... :)

Shewhosweptforest
02-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Wow! I would not consider you an amateur naturalist :bowdown Is this your job or just a calling? Your photography of the squirrels in their natural habitat is awesome...I try to catch the squirrels in my yard and have very little luck..not fast enough :) (catch as in pics:) ). I use my daughters canon rebel which does a beautiful job for someone without any formal training:thinking but since I've gotten this ipad I've gotten lazy and use it. Do you have a blind ...or are you using a lens for the close ups:wave123 Sorry:) I'm just impressed:) Thank you for sharing I only see gray squirrels around here...you really caught their personalities..Bobby seemed really sweet, such a sweet face:Love_Icon I hope you will be able to find Gray's in your new area:thumbsup Thanks again:bowdown

SammysMom
02-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Aren't they beautiful SWSF? A very talented photographer we have here!:bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

Charley Chuckles
02-28-2013, 07:01 AM
The photos are fantastic really :thumbsup the one looks like a chipmunk all buried in the snow :D And the ones licking the branches just so great :thumbsup

Hannah
02-28-2013, 06:16 PM
I am actually not a veteran. I am the president of the ladies' auxiliary. I do it to also say thank-you to all the men and women who served and serve now and in the future!:bowdown :Love_Icon :bowdown
Well, that's sweet of you SammysMom. :)

I try to catch the squirrels in my yard and have very little luck..not fast enough (catch as in pics ). I use my daughters canon rebel which does a beautiful job for someone without any formal training but since I've gotten this ipad I've gotten lazy and use it.
You have cute squirrels, and take nice pictures. :)

Do you have a blind ...or are you using a lens for the close ups
I went to see the group of squirrels pretty much every week for several years. They got used to me, and I could just walk up to some of them (slowly) and take pictures. Most of my picures were taken with a 100mm lens which is mildy telephoto.

Sorry I'm just impressed
It's sweet of you to say nice things. :) This site has quite a few photographers, and many have a large library of extrodinary pictures. (I'd name names, but I'm worried I'd forget someone... :/) Some are professionals, too. (I've worked as a portrait photographer, but only for a few months. I will say it was probably the best job I've ever had, though. :) )

Bobby seemed really sweet, such a sweet face I hope you will be able to find Gray's in your new area Thanks again
Yeah, I miss Bobby. Good luck with your babies, and pictures, Shewhosweptforest!

Charley Chuckles, SammysMom -- :wave123.

Shewhosweptforest
02-28-2013, 09:26 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=197410&stc=1&d=1362108176I just spent a couple hours going through your other thread...I got it from under your signature. Im at a lost for words I stopped on p. 16. I am really sad about all the loss..Bobby and Penny and the sweet babies:shakehead I have swept trails thru our woods (thus the name :) ) I try to walk them everyday, one late afternoon I almost stepped on a little baby girl gray...she was probably 4 wks old she was at the base of a tree with a nest approx. 60 ft , I feel like crying just thinking about it I went back to the house and got a shovel and buried her right there by her tree. I know a real naturalist would have left her for the food chain but I couldn't bring myself to leave her. When my Baby was still outdoors she would head toward the road and the creek where the eagles like to hunt:shakehead I could hardly stand it...I admire your tenacity to stick with it...I just want to save everthing:) on a lighter note, once while walking I saw a black snake after a bird that was hobbling along...so being the savior I found a stout stick and picked up the snake I then started back down the trail with this snake hanging across the stick :crazy well all the sudden these birds were flying around me all frantic (2) so now I'm really confused so I'm slowing down when what do I see ahead but a young bird walking around ahead of me on the trail:thinking so I turn around and walk this darn snake back down the trail and release it where the bird starts with the broken wing hobble:dono then I went back down the trail and the little bird was running around crazy where the trail crosses my driveway:crazy so I have to stand there because my husband is due home any moment:crazy well it was only a few moments when here come those two birds back and they start corralling that young bird back off into the woods...ain't life grand :D This is a pic of the snake I lightly stepped on so it didn't bite me:nono so I swept it back into the woods:wave123 bye bye (it was a copperhead, I called it a moccasin in an earlier post?)

Skul
03-01-2013, 10:40 AM
This is a pic of the snake I lightly stepped on so it didn't bite me:nono so I swept it back into the woods:wave123 bye bye (it was a copperhead, I called it a moccasin in an earlier post?)
That's a big one.
They don't get a chance to grow that large here because of the wife.
She's not exactly fond of the things.
(She even beat the crap out of the garden hose one night.)

Shewhosweptforest
03-01-2013, 01:57 PM
:jump :jump Your wife probably has the right idea....about the only things I can kill without feeling bad are ticks, fleas and Mosquitos :poke I can't stand blood suckers:nono The "experts":crazy around here said it was an old one....biggest they'd ever seen and ribbed me unmercifully about letting it go:dono but it didn't bite me just bumped my calf with its head..warning...it didn't like being swept away and would have bit me then if given the chance :) but I've never seen it in the yard since :) Good Karma:bowdown

Skul
03-01-2013, 10:59 PM
:jump :jump Your wife probably has the right idea....about the only things I can kill without feeling bad are ticks, fleas and Mosquitos :poke I can't stand blood suckers:nono The "experts":crazy around here said it was an old one....biggest they'd ever seen and ribbed me unmercifully about letting it go:dono but it didn't bite me just bumped my calf with its head..warning...it didn't like being swept away and would have bit me then if given the chance :) but I've never seen it in the yard since :) Good Karma:bowdown
Snakes have a purpose in this world. Can't deny that.
The wife thought I was nuts to grab a CH, and wander off to release the thing.
Then, again, there was a rat snake story that Hannah might remember.

Hannah
03-02-2013, 09:26 AM
I am really sad about all the loss..Bobby and Penny and the sweet babies:shakehead
Thanks. Yeah, nature isn't always so kind.

I know a real naturalist would have left her for the food chain but I couldn't bring myself to leave her.
I think it's nice that you burried the young squirrels. No one said you had to be a "real naturalist." As I get older, I tend to see people as more a part of the natural environment than distinct, anyway...

But the lives of squirrels and similar animals can be hard to watch. The experiences of these animals seem raw and their lives short in comparison to our own...

When my Baby was still outdoors she would head toward the road and the creek where the eagles like to hunt:shakehead I could hardly stand it...I admire your tenacity to stick with it...I just want to save everthing:)
I hope the squirrels you know stay safe. :)

those two birds back and they start corralling that young bird back off into the woods...ain't life grand :D
:)

(She even beat the crap out of the garden hose one night.)
Guilt by association...:D

Shewhosweptforest
03-02-2013, 09:44 AM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=197521&stc=1&d=1362238994Guilt by association...:D[/QUOTE]

:sanp3 I love that rebuttal :crazy I was thinking along the same lines but could not come up with something as witty ...something I've noticed as I've gotten older:sanp3 you're still just a young whipper snapper:jump :jump I was sitting out here on my porch (it's a room with lots of windows, I call it the porch, should call it Baby's room) and a squirrel was playing with a corn cob hopping, and rolling around with it and I thought of you Hannah:thumbsup you would have gotten some great pics:wave123