PDA

View Full Version : Forum newbie with a need for advice!

Leddible
02-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Just wanna start off by saying it's great to finally have a place I can find reliable information, advice, and stories about flying squirrels! My girlfriend and I have owned our little Bruce (named after Bruce Wayne; we're huge Batman nerds) for about seven months now and while it's been difficult at times he has to be one of the coolest pets I've ever had. Sometimes I'm struck with disbelief at the fact that we can sit around watching TV while our flyer zips and scurries about the room to the point that we end up missing the show and watch him instead.

I love the little guy but he can be very difficult at times and I'm wondering if anyone can offer us some advice. We unfortunately bought him from a pet store in Colonie, NY and we're not entirely sure how old he was when we got him but I think he was around 12 weeks at the time. Whether it's because of his older age (I've read that 8 weeks is a better age to start bonding) or because we did something wrong I can't say but he's still terrified of us at times.

He's comfortable eating food out of our hands and he likes crawling over and jumping between us (I've even gotten him trained to land on any area I tap on) but he never lets us touch him. Even if we try softly stroking him he usually runs away terrified and won't let anyone near him afterwards. On very rare occasions he's let me pet him (usually just after he wakes up) but that's the exception to the rule.

I'm curious if I should try going back to putting him into a bonding pouch. When we initially got him we always had difficulty getting him into the pouch and he really despises being inside them. So far he's chewed his way out of three of them and on one occasion I swear he preemptively chewed on a pouch we had left near his cage so he'd have an exit later on.

What I'm really wondering, and would love if someone could answer, is:
1) Can you rebond with an older flyer? How old is too old?
2) Is there a way to make a flyer more accustomed or willing to be held/touched?
3) Is there such a thing as too much freedom for a flyer? Usually when he's out at night we let him climb wherever (the apt. is flyer-safe as can be) but would it be better or would he bond better if it were more closed off?
4) What kind of games do you play with your flyer?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help and hello to everyone else here!

ConkerChild
02-12-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm sure some of the more flyer wise folks will be here soon, but the only thing an older flyer needs is more patience and time. With the one flyer of mine that I got when I was older, I sat in a small closet with him, where he was free but still had to be in fairly close proximity to me. It took time, and he still doesn't let me touch him too often, but he does once in a while, which gives me faith that even though it's slow, I'm still building trust with him. Try letting him eat tiny treats out of your hand, and very slowly try to stroke him with a finger while he eats. Other ideas will follow from other members, we have some great flyer experts here! :thumbsup

Jackie in Tampa
02-13-2013, 06:07 AM
some peeps buy pup tents to spend time in with their flyers:crazy
you have found a fgreat group... alot of flyer peeps here...

:Welcome :wave123

Alphabetta2001
02-13-2013, 12:40 PM
My flyer was a couple of months old when I got him. Bonding - it's not like baby birds. It's all a matter of trust. If there is anytime when your squirrel is more approachable, more comfortable about being touched, you can build on that experience. Mine liked being scratched and petting while it was sitting in its food dish, eating. It started playing a game with me where he would bounce on my hand when I held my hand in his cage for long, patient periods of time. After about a week it was crawling up my arm. After about two weeks it was crawling all over me. They are very social and need the attention and physical contact of another warm body, whether it is squirrel or human. I think the more people that they are introduced to your squirrel, the "friendlier" it will be are and easier to handle. Slow movements and low speaking voices are best when handling them; they have very good hearing and are easily startled.