PDA

View Full Version : Into and questions

EmmasMummy
03-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Hello, My name is sera. I just got these little babies. I was wanting to know how old you think they are? I named then Minnie and Spike :) Minnie is the one curled up. Any advice in general would be great. Thanks.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b34/preggyprincess/The%20Twins/HPIM0078.jpg?t=1172731859

EmmasMummy
03-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Oh yes I ment to say I have had them for about 3 days now and they are gaining weight well but am not sure what they should be weighing. I don't have a gram scale but have converted the ounces into grams and if im correct they are 57 grams, is that what they should weigh? And what kind of squirrel do you think they are? And how often should i be feeding them? I am feeding them every 2 hours but i was reading and thought maybe they should be fed every 3 hours. Thanks.
Sera

heidiann
03-01-2007, 12:59 AM
Hi Sera. They're beautiful. Could you give a little more info. How did you get them? How long have you had them? What are you feeding them? They only look a couple weeks old to me but there is a chart in the ABC section that will be more accurate.

EmmasMummy
03-01-2007, 01:01 AM
I found them in the engine of our truck that had not been driven in a few weeks. The mommy unfortunantly was killed by our dog :( i feel so guilty for that. I found them only 3 days ago. I am feeding them Esbilc (spelling?) I had them on a rehydration (pedialyte) after i got them.

heidiann
03-01-2007, 01:02 AM
OK, I guess you were reading my mind. Have you looked up the info here? I'm not a rehabber but I'm sure one will be on in the am and will be able to give you precise info on the feeding.

heidiann
03-01-2007, 01:05 AM
Sounds like you already have been given great instructions.:thumbsup I'm sorry about their momma but don't feel guilty. You're doing a great thing helping her babies right now. Focus on that. I wanna guess that they're Fox Squirrels but not sure.

EmmasMummy
03-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Do you know much about their weight? They were 1.6 ounces when we got them and not are 2.1 ounces which i figured to be about 56grams.

heidiann
03-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Hey, I just gave a message to a rehabber that will have the right info for you. Sit tight. Good luck.

EmmasMummy
03-01-2007, 01:16 AM
Poor spike was in our dogs mouth when we herd him squeeling,luckily she didn't hurt him before we got him. he had fallen out of the bottom of the truck and she snatched him up. Then my husband got minnie out and then there was a third one that was already dead :(.

heidiann
03-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Oh my gosh. You must still be reeling from all that. I'm so sorry. All you can do is thake care of these 2 now. It's no one's fault. It's so hard to understand why animals do the things they do. I hope your dog isn't still in the corner.

EmmasMummy
03-01-2007, 01:21 AM
That dog has problems. She is my husbands dog she is always attacking people and stuff like that. luckily we were able to save spike though. I was so scared. I thought for sure he was going to die. Before i got to him i was like "omg he is going to be bleeding and everything"

muffinsquirrel
03-01-2007, 01:35 AM
Hi, and welcome. So far it sounds like you are doing everything right, and the babies definately look good. Are they pooing and peeing OK? You sound like these aren't the first babies you've rescued, or else you've really done your homework! So I assume you know to stimulate them to poo and pee after every feeding. The main thing to do is keep them fed and warm and quiet. If you have to wake them up to feed them every time, you could probably stretch it to every 3 hours, specially at night, and perhaps give them just a tad more food than usual. But if they wake up yelling 'feed me feed me', go ahead and feed them. I am in southeast texas - about 25 miles above Beaumont, so feel free to give me an email or a call if I can help you. I'll check to see if you have emails enabled, and send you my phone number if you do. Otherwise, email me and I'll send it to you. Are you pretty well set for cages and such? Because I usually have an extra around, and you may need it when they get older.

Good luck with them -

muffinsquirrel

muffinsquirrel
03-01-2007, 02:00 AM
I sent you an email, so feel free to call if you need to. Good luck, and I'll check in the morning to see how they're doing.

G'nite,

muffinsquirrel

EmmasMummy
03-01-2007, 02:01 AM
G'night. Just email me in the morning. Thanks for being so nice.

MzLynx
03-01-2007, 04:19 AM
Hi Sera & welcome,
this is a great place to get help and info. on your babies.

So sorry about the mom and the little one, but glad you was able to save the other two. Sounds like your doing a great job. They are so cute :)

~ Big Hugzzz ~
Lynx

island rehabber
03-01-2007, 07:49 AM
:Welcome emmasmummy! You're in great hands with muffinsquirrel! Your two cuties do look like fox squirrels to me. Lucky you -- I love them and they are very mellow squirrels, I'm told. You're doing great so far....good luck and we're all here to help.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
03-01-2007, 02:27 PM
:Welcome They are very cute! Looks like you are doing a great job with them. They look like fox squirrels to me too. I would guess they are about 4 and a half to 5 weeks old. Good luck with the little cuties. Keep those pictures coming.

EmmasMummy
03-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Wow we thought they were maybe two weeks old. I am really confused on the weight thing though.

squirrelygirl
03-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Its kind of hard to tell with that picture (they look red), but when they get older it will be obvious if they are a fox squirrel. They start to develop a beautiful orange coloring on their underside. :) These are some older fox squirrels:

TexanSquirrel
03-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Be sure not to tell anyone about them though because squirrels are illegal pets in Texas.

LynninIN
03-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi Sera :Welcome. Your squirrel babies are very cute. More pictures!!!!

EmmasMummy
03-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Then I guess they are fox. I just noticed yesterday they are getting orange undernieth

EmmasMummy
03-02-2007, 12:12 AM
TexanSquirrel. I know, this lady was listening in on my conversation at the pet store the other day with my husband and she was like "You know it's illegal to have them in texas" I just looked at her and walked off. If she had been nice about it and let me know then i would have been fine but she was really snotty about it.

Anyways, its all fine. My husband's grandmother raised a squirrel years ago.

TexanSquirrel
03-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Why can't I PM you? PMing is important. I didn't want to upset anyone, so I was going to say it privately, but I guess I can't.

"Still, I wouldn't tell anyone about him. Just looked up what happened to Henri."

EmmasMummy
03-02-2007, 11:50 PM
TS, I am not sure why you can't PM me. I haven't told anyone about them.

EmmasMummy
03-02-2007, 11:54 PM
What happened to the squirrel? Oh and untill i figure out how to PM just email me.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
03-18-2007, 07:27 AM
How are Minnie and Spike doing? Have they opened their eyes yet?

Abacat
03-18-2007, 08:10 AM
:wave123
EmmasMummy ! How are lil Minnie and Spike ? To convert ounces to grams
1 ounce= 28.3495231...(Many things we import at where I work is all European grams, so here in states we do ounces) Please when time, post more pics...:D Great job :thumbsup

thundersquirrel
03-18-2007, 12:38 PM
i feel like there is too much information on location in this thread. if i were a moderator, i would considering editing it, for the sake of the people and squirrels involved. yikes.

yes, please tell us how they're doing. they're awfully cute ya know. :D

TexanSquirrel
03-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I agree with thundersquirrel.

island rehabber
03-18-2007, 02:12 PM
TS and TexS -- confusing? NAH! I like the short forms of your screen names -- I just read thru this thread and I don't really see that much of a problem....muffinsquirrel gave details as to where she's living but she's licensed, so no problem. Did I miss something that should be deleted? If so, please let me know.

thundersquirrel
03-18-2007, 02:40 PM
mostly i was concerned for emmasmummy. on the first page. it starts with "that is so nice of you..."

TS and TS....i suppose we could be referred to as tex and thunder. :D

island rehabber
03-18-2007, 03:42 PM
gotcha -- it's gone. Your nice young eyes picked that up so much better than my bleary old ones. :D :shakehead

TexanSquirrel
03-18-2007, 07:28 PM
mostly i was concerned for emmasmummy. on the first page. it starts with "that is so nice of you..."

TS and TS....i suppose we could be referred to as tex and thunder. :D

:hyper Yep!

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
03-19-2007, 05:14 AM
Any updates on the little ones?

EmmasMummy
03-20-2007, 06:24 PM
The babies are great, growing like weeds, still eyes arnt open but hopefully any day now.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
03-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Glad to hear they are still doing good! Can't wait to see pictures of those sleepy little eyes when they open them.