PDA

View Full Version : pocket rocket

ashleymwilliams
01-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Hey guys I found a baby squirrel on Christmas and have nursed him back to health. He has finally opened his eyes today and his top teeth are starting to emerge so im guessing he is around 5 to 6 weeks. I was wondering what is the best way to give him exercise in the house so that he can have his active times. Thanks for the help.

SammysMom
01-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Oh yippee!!! A BABY!! Where are the pictures? :Welcome
Oh you wanted info...I got all excited about a tiny baby! Can you tell us what you are feeding and how much the baby weighs? What is he in now?
In general tell us EVERYTHING! We love babies!
They do NOT need exercise at his age as their moms don't even let them peek out of the box at that age...:D

ashleymwilliams
01-09-2013, 04:31 PM
hey yes I was excited to find him too. :jump

I havent put the pictures on my computer yet so as soon as I do I will upload them.

I read that you feed them esbilac puppy formula and mix a lil Whipping cream with it because it simulates the momma's milk. He weighs about three ounces and he eats extremely well.

Right now he is in a box that I lined with newspaper and towels with a heating pad set on low in between all that. He likes to be held as much as possible so he usually stays in there at night. His eyes have been open for 4 days and his tail is super bushy. He is to adorable.

thanks for the help. :thankyou

Skul
01-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Rather you don't feed Esbilac. They changed their formula, and it doesn't seem to provide for squirrels.
Would suggest getting some Fox Valley 32/40, instead.
http://foxvalleynutrition.com/prod/d...p?CID=1&PLID=1
or
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/rehab-supplies/milk-replacers-and-specialty-diets-1.html

Until that arrives, consider the temporary goat milk formula given here ---> http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29904

gs1
01-09-2013, 05:30 PM
yes please no esbilac... the squirrels can't digest it properly and many die because of it.

esbilac no longer recommends their formula for baby squirrels.

fox valley is an excellent formula and inexpensive... they have formulas for every animal from deer to racoons to bears to squirrels.....

the temporary goats milk formula is excellent as well, it is not meant for long term use but it is invaluable for a short time.

wishing you all the best.

ps: is this a grey squirrel or a flying squirrel?

pps: if you can put him on an old t-shirt rather than a towel it's much better ...sometimes their nails get caught on towels and they break off the finger to get away ...it's just one more thing you don't need to have happen.

i'm so glad he's so affectionate .... and as for his getting excercise... in the wild their nests are so small and they are not allowed out of them until they're much older so you don't need to worry so much about exercise right now...ofcourse he'll have a different opinion :D

ashleymwilliams
01-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Here are all the pictures from when I first got him to now. he looks so much healthier and has so much energy now. I am glad we found him when we did.

gs1
01-09-2013, 05:53 PM
omg :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :D :thankyou and :Welcome

SammysMom
01-09-2013, 06:33 PM
He is too cute!!! :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon We really do suggest no towels. An old flannel shirt or nightgown, fleece, something that has no loops to it. Their nails get caught in everything!

stepnstone
01-09-2013, 07:01 PM
:Welcome Precious little one! :Love_Icon

Please do get him off that esbilac. Forget about any other sites you may have seen, TSB is all squirrel and can guide you in all the right directions. Check out our forums on squirrel nutrition. Their diets are much more complex then an average person could ever imagine and it is key to their survival as "captive" squirrels.
He will also be needing block, that's the first solid food he should be introduced to and eating well before any other solids are introduced.
Need a scale! One that weighs in grams. Just about anything you do with a squirrel, food, meds, are dosed by weight not age. For example; he should be eating 5-7% of his body weight every feeding. If he were to need meds, diareia, whatever, you would need to know his exact weight in grams for proper dosing.

I see you were already told about not using towels, if you have anything fleece it's squirrel's choice. :thumbsup You also mentioned "box", if it's cardboard, not good. It can draw moisture from the baby and lead to dehydration. Also the heating pad should be under the enclosure, not in it. Squirrels will burrow and even babies chew. Eliminate the risk, place it under.

Welcome again and best of luck to you and your little dude. :D :grouphug

kastillo
01-09-2013, 07:21 PM
You are in the right place for all things squirrel. These people know their stuff!!!!
Your little guy is soooooo sweet!!! Makes me miss having babies, the furry kind that is. :)

ashleymwilliams
01-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Thank you guys so much!!! :thankyou

I have changed his bed to where the heating pad is under the plastic container and put one of my old shirts in it with no towels.

I have bought some of the fox valley for squirrels and will be waiting for it in the mail. until then i will be using goats milk that im getting from a friend.

what exactly is a block??
I have been letting him eat as much as he wants which is about 7cc's of food. Is that way to much??? I will be getting a scale tomorrow so that I can weigh him.

and he is a grey squirrel from south texas.

kastillo
01-09-2013, 08:47 PM
He should be eating 5-7% of his body weight per feeding. At his age, probably every 4-5 hours.
So, when you weigh him, if he's
80 grams..... feed 4 - 6 cc's formula
100 grams .... feed 5 - 7 cc's formula
125 grams ...... feed 6 - 9 cc's
these are rough estimates, but the equation is

Body weight x percentage = amount in cc's

:D

farrelli
01-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Block is a rodent block, a source of nutrition critical to captive squirrels on solid food. The optimal diet for a non-formula squirrel is below:

http://www.henryspets.com/pages/Healthy-Diet.html

Most people here buy Henry's blocks (aka HHBs) which are the only rodent blocks made specifically for squirrels. An adult grey will get two a day and a variety of veggies and fruits, with a nut or two as treats. The following is a link to them but your little guy is a ways away from needing them by the looks of things. Btw, we recommend that squirrels ween themselves. They should be given formula for as long as they'll take it.

http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

stepnstone
01-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Thank you guys so much!!! :thankyou

I have changed his bed to where the heating pad is under the plastic container and put one of my old shirts in it with no towels.

I have bought some of the fox valley for squirrels and will be waiting for it in the mail. until then i will be using goats milk that im getting from a friend.

what exactly is a block??
I have been letting him eat as much as he wants which is about 7cc's of food. Is that way to much??? I will be getting a scale tomorrow so that I can weigh him.

and he is a grey squirrel from south texas.

Changed bed, heat under, no towels. :thumbsup

Rodent block, it has the extra protein and all other essential nutrients squirrels need. Especially onced weaned off formula. Check out Henry's for their Henry's healthy block, it's what most of us use and was developed and formulated specifically for squirrels.
http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

When you say "food" your speaking of formula I presume? Again hard to say if 7cc is too much (doubt it) or too little as we need to know a weight to arrive at 5-7% body weight. How often do you feed?

Hold on a sec!! ...You said "until then i will be using goats milk that im getting from a friend." Hope your not talking fresh goats milk from a goat??

Nancy in New York
01-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Good catch stepnstone.
Here is the substitue formula to use until your order comes in.
You have probably mentioned it, but the heating pad is set on low, right?
:grouphug

Oh one other thing, I doubt that your little one weighs 100 grams, and the 7 cc's would be the 5-7% rule,
BUT if that is what he is eating without bloating and he poops and pees fine for you when stimulating,
I would give him the 7 or even a little more if he does not bloat!

3 parts goat’s milk
1 part heavy whipping cream*
1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels may do better digestively if, instead of being given Fox Valley formula straight, mix the Fox Valley 50/50 with the Goat’s Milk Formula assembled WITHOUT the heavy whipping cream.

*It is recommended that when just starting to feed a new baby that the first feedings be made without the heavy whipping cream. This will give their digestive systems a chance to acclimate from mama’s milk to our substitute without the harder-to-digest whipping cream. Once they accept the formula and are eliminating properly, the whipping cream can be gradually added in.

ashleymwilliams
01-10-2013, 10:22 AM
No I was talking about the stuff I get from the store. She is a health nut and loves that stuff.
There is no bloating when he eats so I just figured it was enough.

On the rodent block... Which one should I get for him? The one for wild or the one for squirrels under 9 months? I will eventually be letting him go back into the wild.

Thanks so much everyone for the help! :thankyou

P.s. he is wanting to chew on stuff so what should I give him to chew on???

farrelli
01-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Under 9 mos, seeing that he is, would seem to be the one to get. It helps them grow. He can chew on these, sticks, branches, pine cones, or just veggies.

stepnstone
01-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Hold off on the veggies until he is eating the rodent block, that is the most important solid food that he needs to eat!
If you start off introducing other foods before he takes a liking to the rodent blocks he will most likely reject them and then
you'll open up a whole new set of health problems.
Seeing how he is still on formula but eyes open it's the perfect time to introduce the block, let him get used to it.
Once he does wean and is eating on his own, block is the first food he should be given and consumed before giving any other foods.

So, he's chewing now... aren't you glad you removed that heating pad and placed under the enclosure? :D
Fresh branches/sticks even pieces of untreated unpainted wood can provide plenty of chewing exercise.

I'm pleased to read that you plan on releasing him when the time comes. :grouphug
For some with health issues, it's not possible but for those that can be
it's definetly how it should be. They are wild animals and they should be
free in the trees as nature intended. Good for you! :thumbsup