PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell...

Eastern gray squirrel
12-31-2012, 08:06 AM
How can you tell if a squirrel has rabies?

SammysMom
12-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Why do you ask? Pretty much if its alive it doesn't though.

acorniv
12-31-2012, 09:29 AM
I've always heard that animals as small as squirrels don't survive the bite that would give them rabies. I imagine there could be exceptions but at any rate, squirrels do not fall under the legal category of rabies vectors, which require additional permits to rehab, so it must be very rare, if so. Racoons and opossum etc are examples of rabies vector animals.

island rehabber
12-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Squirrels are not a rabies vector species.

island rehabber
12-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Racoons and opossum etc are examples of rabies vector animals.

Sorry, not opossum either. :) Some believe their body temp is too low for the rabies virus to survive, so they do not get it. Raccoons, dogs and bats are the big rabies species; skunks and groundhogs in SOME regions are also rabies vector.

Eastern gray squirrel
12-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks, I was just curious!

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
12-31-2012, 03:10 PM
A squirrel could get rabies, but the likelihood is like 1 in 5 billion or something super small like that. A rabid squirrel would not be able to carry the virus like raccoons and bats can, it would get sick and die and only have a small window where it was contagious. During that time, it would likely be severely lethargic, wouldn't be able to swallow, and would be drooly.

Itchiku's dad
01-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Raccoons, skunks, foxes, and coyotes are the terrestrial animals most often infected with rabies in the United States.
Small rodents like squirrels, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rats, and mice) and lagomorphs including rabbits and hares are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to transmit rabies to humans.

From 1990 through 1996, in areas of the country where raccoon rabies was enzootic, woodchucks (groundhogs) accounted for 93% of the 371 cases of rabies among rodents reported to CDC.

Charley Chuckles
01-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Squirrels do not get rabies :nono so no reason to ever worry about it :thumbsup

acorniv
01-05-2013, 01:56 AM
Sorry, not opossum either. :) Some believe their body temp is too low for the rabies virus to survive, so they do not get it. Raccoons, dogs and bats are the big rabies species; skunks and groundhogs in SOME regions are also rabies vector.

:thumbsup :thankyou

acorniv
01-05-2013, 02:04 AM
Raccoons, skunks, foxes, and coyotes are the terrestrial animals most often infected with rabies in the United States.
Small rodents like squirrels, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rats, and mice) and lagomorphs including rabbits and hares are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to transmit rabies to humans.

From 1990 through 1996, in areas of the country where raccoon rabies was enzootic, woodchucks (groundhogs) accounted for 93% of the 371 cases of rabies among rodents reported to CDC.

Well that's disconcerting. I've recently seen two groundhogs sitting by the side of the road just hanging out watching cars go by (I've seen this one other time too) I've wondered how ferocious they are in case I ever have to rescue one - didn't even consider rabies.

Does anyone here know much about groundhogs? I've only ever seen them on this one road (and on this road I see other animals I've never seen elsewhere - like a 75 yo gopher tortoise, which unfortunately had been hit) Anyway, groundhogs look like big cuddly things - I bet they're not, right?

island rehabber
01-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Anyway, groundhogs look like big cuddly things - I bet they're not, right?
The hanging out by the side of the road is what happy normal groundhogs do best. I was told by a groundhog rehabber at a conference that they are "big, cuddly, voracious and adorable" and that she did not want me to spread the word too much or "people would start kidnapping THEM as pets...":D THey are Sciuridae, after all. acorniv you would need to check your local Dept of Health website to see if they are RV in your region. I know they are here in NYC and I have seen one with rabies.....poor sweetie was so crazed he was attacking cars as they passed him, and foaming from the mouth. I couldn't help; I was on a pleasure hike and had nothing with me, not even a cell phone.....

pappy1264
01-05-2013, 07:12 AM
About groundhogs, if you get one as a very small baby, they are beyond precious. But once they hit a certain age, they can be quite dangerous to handle! But yes, sitting watching cars is pretty normal for them..nosey little buggers! lol

Eastern gray squirrel
01-06-2013, 05:05 PM
I've never seen one on the side of the road. Maybe their scared of me!:D :flash3 :jump :jump :multi :jump :jump :jump mjs