PDA

View Full Version : Head Tilt Question

squirrelymum
02-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Greetings! I am a rehabber in Maine and have 8 grays being overwintered, most were bottle babies. About a month ago I noticed one with a head tilt, kept checking on him and eventually decided to bring him indoors. He has now progressed to the point of eating on his back. He falls over and head weaves and bobs. Two days ago, another one is showing signs of a head tilt. Also moved that one indoors. HELP!!! What's happening to my babies? They have been more than healthy up to this incidence. Any info or advice you can pass on will most assuredly be appreciated. Squirrelymum :dono

Mars
02-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Question - Has the cage ever housed Raccoons? Have you done a fecal?

You will find we are full of questions. We need yours eyes to see. Can you give us an idea of their diet? Are their stools normal? How are they housed? Could they reach a toxin of any kind? Are you using plywood? Did you glue anything? give us any details you can think of and we will put our heads together and see what we can come up with to help.

thundersquirrel
02-24-2007, 12:53 PM
that sounds like an inner ear infection. not sure, though, so answer the questions ^.

it's good you got them inside. watch them closely. you may need to get them an anti-biotic. squirrels (at least my squirrels) seem to recover well from head problems, but it can take a while. let us know what's up.

squirrelymum
02-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks so much for your quick response! The pen previously housed skunks but was cleaned and disinfected after their release. The pen is made of metal caging and is covered with a blue tarp (which they constantly chew at). There are small aluminum ties to hold caging together which they have also chewed at. However, no idea who. Haven't done a fecal yet. Stools are normal, diet is same for all (i.e. naturals: acorns, fircones, maple keys. Other: mini p-nut butter sandwiches, pumpkin seeds, fruit, veggies, bird seed. Some left on ground, some in aluminum pie plates. Appetites have naturally declined due to sub zero temps but I can assure you that none are "underweight". They are tubby at best! Nest boxes are wooden (no pressure treated) nailed together. Bedding is old dry grass clippings and some generic hay. If I have left anything out, please advise! I will check back on the board sometime prior to 8pm EST. Thank you one and all!!! I'm devastated! Squirrelymum

Mars
02-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Okay. Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

I would definitely get a fecal done. Skunks also carry a form of the baylis roundworm (baylisascaris columnaris) and it would be nice to elimanate that possiblity up front.

Can you get an idea of if there is a fever or not? Is there a nasal or eye discharge? Are the lungs clear? THundersquirrels' suggestion of an inner ear infection is a good possiblity. Another thought is Pasturellosis (gram negative bacteria) through I believe it has a much shorter incubation period than you indicated it's best to consider it a possiblity. A round of antibiotics and probiotics may be called for. I would contact my vet for best choice and dosage. If this does not begin to respond to an antibiotic within 72 hours then it may be a virus.

Either way I would offer suplimental heat and fluids.

I am also uncomfortable with the amount of aluminum in the cage and would suggest replacing the pie plates with ceramic ones. I use the ones sold to go under potted plants. I try to buy the glazed ones.

I hope this helps. Do keep us updated. Others may yet jump on with ideas. I don't have enough to go on to make any suggestions Homeopathically. If you wish to discuss this as a possibility perhaps we can meet up in chat later.

squirrelfriend
02-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Gabe wrote me on this one and I would like to ask too. What kind of wood is the cage made from? Is it a wood with a fire retardant on it? If so this is very toxic. I have seen problems with this in mice. They get the symptoms that you are describing. I also have three squirrels with head injuries. The two that have the more heavy symptoms sound like yours. Grumbles lays on his side while eating. has no ballance and head tremors like parkinsons. He had a scab on the back of his head when I got him so I am pretty sure his was head trauma. Do they appear normal otherwise? meaning appetite, body temp, no wounds or signs of infections or infestations? My vet when inspecting Weebles suggested those worms from raccoons as well. there is a medecine you can get from the vet for that one. It is not reverseable but can be stopped in its tracks.

squirrelymum
02-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi Squirrelfriend! Thanks for your response. Their pen is actually metal caging. Their nestboxes are wooden but I am confident they are safe as we've been using them for years upon years! There have never been raccoons in their pen and we worm also. When I had one squirrel like this I also thought head trauma, then a 2nd one showed symptoms and as of today I have another one! We have isolated them and started treating them with Clavamox. I will keep y'all up to date. I use the library's computer so can only get online on Mon/Wed/Sat. Thanks so much for your care and concern. I'm absolutely crushed! :dono Squirrelymum

Gabe
02-26-2007, 04:42 PM
It sure sounds contagious. Glad you have them on meds and isolated. Please let us know how they do on the meds.