PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

MonicaJ
12-16-2012, 11:08 AM
I have been lurking for quite a while and really appreciate all the wonderful information provided on this site.
About 15 years ago I had a flier named Ginger. Growing up, my house was a lot like a zoo so loved many pets but have to say Ginger was my favorite. Just before I moved from home, we could tell there was an animal in the dividing wall between kitchen and living room. We could hear jumping and chewing and had decided we would have to cut a hole in the wall to get it out before it died. We didnt get a chance to do that before Mama chewed a hole and got through the wall in the pantry. It was quite a surprise to open the door and a flying squirrel scurry through the kitchen, down the hall then in my sisters bedroom. We tried to catch her but she kept hiding in the closet. We decided to put out some acorns and water for her. She must have been starving. She came out to eat and we could pet her but not catch her so we just kept feeding her. She stayed on shelf in top of closet for a few weeks then my sister found three babies!! Poor thing! They already had dark fuzz on them so she must have had them as soon as she escaped from the wall. We left them alone until they had more fur and she didnt seem to mind us holding them once a day or so. This when i fell in love with Ginger. When I was home, she was in my pocket. She was the sweetest yet most hard headed little thing. I started moving from one state to the other because of work and was expecting my first child when I found her a new home. I only had her a couple of years and have missed her greatly.

My husband just brought me 3 new fliers!!! I am so excited!!! They are not pocket pets but, so far, I can pet them a little and feed them by hand. My husband heard of someone who had cared for some fliers but had decided to let them go. Well, it is winter. They have no nest and stashes of food so when it got cold they came back into the house. It is my understanding they had a close incounter with some racoons and some of the fliers didnt make it. Mama and daddy both are missing the tip of their tails but are healed over and the younger boy (about a year old) doesnt show any scars. They look pretty healthy but I do not know what kind of diet they have been on. When I received them, their cage had a cup with sunflower seedsand a water bottle so I am just going to assume that is just what they were fed and start boosting their little systems for safe measure. I am still gathering and ordering supplies.

This is my long winded introduction. Everyone have a great day!

MonicaJ
12-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Here are some pics of my un-named pretties.

djarenspace9
12-16-2012, 11:30 AM
:Welcome

What a wonderful story! I'm glad you are able to have flyers to love again,
plus help ones out that are in need.

Don't be fooled by their exterior appearance.
Nutrition is VERY VERY important for their wellbeing, and problems on the inside
don't often display til they are beyond help or in critical stages.

Our experts have a wealth of information on good nutrition and proper socializing
and stimulation to keep them healthy and happy!

Nemehoto
12-16-2012, 04:50 PM
What cuties :) I'm glad you could help them out.

MonicaJ
12-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Thank you. :D I have been reading most of the day. It is easy to get lost with all the stories and good information.

MonicaJ
12-16-2012, 08:27 PM
:baghead HAHA spell check would have been a good idea!

MJS
12-16-2012, 09:29 PM
:Welcome Like your pics...keep'em coming!!!

island rehabber
12-16-2012, 09:51 PM
:Welcome MonicaJ!
We have so many wonderful flyer experts on this Board that I won't even try to list them, and risk leaving somebody out. Keep up with the FLying Squirrel Forum (under Breed Specific, etc.) and you'll get tons of great info. The Squirrel Board, by the way, was originally created by a Florida couple in honor of their beloved Chipper -- a flying squirrel who lived 13 happy, healthy years with them. :)

MonicaJ
12-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Thank you all for your warm welcome. :)

virginia_arce2280
12-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Welcome Monica!:Welcome :Welcome
What beautiful fliers you have!!
Yes, nutrition is a biggie and these guys can definitely steer you in the right direction!
I know you're going to have so much fun with these guys!:wave123