PDA

View Full Version : Quick ToothTrim

Jackie in Tampa
06-26-2008, 09:31 AM
http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk219/jackieintampa/?action=view&current=100_1575.flv

:Love_Icon This is MY ROCKY...ruler of my world!:Love_Icon my one tooth wonder!:Love_Icon

This is not really good video...I should have gone slower, but I have woke him up 3 times already today, but he got a no no treat:nono a small potatoe chip:nono Freds first video, and second time holding camera, :sanp3
Maybe try to get a better one!
Amazed I got it here period, not the same way I did in practice last night:dono
but for what it is, I hope it helps you decide:flash3

squirrel princess
06-26-2008, 09:41 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_75.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSman000)and what a good patient:Love_Icon

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZSman000 (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb114_ZSman000&utm_id=7922)

Pam
06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the video Jackie. Rocky is such a good boy! :Love_Icon He's handsome, too!!

I am going to try to trim Roxy's teeth at home. :thumbsup She has been going to hubby's clinic every couple of months to have them trimmed under gas anesthesia. Of course she gets the royal treatment, but she would prefer to stay home. :D

Jackie in Tampa
06-26-2008, 10:29 AM
I will try to make a slower, more instructional video, my camera is not so good either...:shakehead
Pam, how often does Roxy go?

Pam
06-26-2008, 10:33 AM
I will try to make a slower, more instructional video, my camera is not so good either...:shakehead
Pam, how often does Roxy go?
Roxy's teeth only have to be trimmed three or four times a year. John only has to give her a little gas to make her sleepy for the trim. She wakes up as soon as he is finished.

Snipe
06-26-2008, 10:38 AM
What a good little patient :bowdown

Heh heh

When I was a kid no dentist in his right mind would have stuck any finger in my mouth like that :rotfl

wheezer
06-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Wow that was a great video of teeth trimming. Rocky is such a good squirrel to be so still. I was wondering how long you have been doing that and if he was always that good?

Pam, I think if your little squirrel has more than just one tooth, it might be easier to take him 3 or 4 times a year. I had two squirrels who had four large teeth each to trim and couldn't really be done with the clippers. I used a dremel saw and the gas to sedate them. They got so used to going to he clinic it was so much less stressful. They would have to be "mummy wrapped" and the buzz saw would have freaked them out. Jackie, you are very lucky to have such a wonderful squirrel and one little toothy:D

Jackie in Tampa
06-26-2008, 10:55 AM
This is kinda a continuation on an existing thread...but I have little to no experience ...sorry, we can move if we need to:)
In the other thread, I posted that teeth trimming should be done by a Vet. The only 3 reasons I clip are
This will be forever with Rocky, and that much gas scares me...for life.
ching ching $$$$$
Rocky likes me best!:Love_Icon

Anyone considering doing this themselves could create more problems than they started with. ODONTOMAS, eye gouging, cut sq....alot can go wrong!

Please be careful:grouphug

wheezer
06-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Wow, that was a great video:thumbsup Rocky is a wonderful little squirrel to be so good:flash3 He obviously trust you a lot and seemed to be used to it. I was wondering how long you have been trimming him?

I had two squirrels who had 4 teeth each to trim every 4 to 6 weeks. They were too tough to safely trim with clippers so I used the dremel saw. I worked at a wildlife clinic so I could use the gas and it was very easy and they got used to the trip:)

Pam, if your Roxy has more than one tooth, it might just be easier on her to use the gas. They just sleep through the trimming:D

Pam
06-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Pam, I think if your little squirrel has more than just one tooth, it might be easier to take him 3 or 4 times a year. I had two squirrels who had four large teeth each to trim and couldn't really be done with the clippers. I used a dremel saw and the gas to sedate them. They got so used to going to he clinic it was so much less stressful. They would have to be "mummy wrapped" and the buzz saw would have freaked them out. Jackie, you are very lucky to have such a wonderful squirrel and one little toothy:D
Roxy has to have three teeth trimmed. (She had to have one pulled when she was about four months old.) I'm might not be able to trim her teeth at home. She is almost six years old and set in her ways. :D She does not like my husband, and she does not like to be held down. She can cuss like a sailor. :D I think John enjoys doing her teeth because he gets to hold her while she's sleepy. :)

wheezer
06-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Roxy has to have three teeth trimmed. (She had to have one pulled when she was about four months old.) I'm might not be able to trim her teeth at home. She is almost six years old and set in her ways. :D She does not like my husband, and she does not like to be held down. She can cuss like a sailor. :D I think John enjoys doing her teeth because he gets to hold her while she's sleepy. :)

You are right, at 6 years she is set in her ways. I wouldn't want to hold her down:eek: I like the part where John likes to hold her when sleepy Awwww:tilt

Jackie in Tampa
06-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Wow that was a great video of teeth trimming. Rocky is such a good squirrel to be so still. I was wondering how long you have been doing that and if he was always that good?

Rocky knows...Dentist
He has dental history...last year Dr.L pulled other upper. He had abcess.
Prior to that tooth dying and extraction, for a couple years, I clipped both top teeth. He is sweetie:Love_Icon
Pam, Rocky will be 6 July 27th....pppaaarrrttttyyyy!!!!

Pam
06-26-2008, 12:04 PM

Big party!! Roxy will be 6, July 25. That was the night my border collie brought her to my doorstep. She was a tiny pinkie. :Love_Icon My son had named her Rocky because he thought she was a he. We quickly changed her name to Roxy. :D

secretsmom
06-26-2008, 12:13 PM
I love that video, you guys make that look soooo easy :thinking
I love the sweet little chirping!!

4skwerlz
06-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Good job, Jackie! Dang you're good!:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

adoptedmom
06-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Wow. :thumbsup Jackie, that's a great video. :bowdown Rocky must be the most docile squirrel in the history of the universe. And you're obviously a seasoned professional! Any chance you want to come by my house:D Thank you so much for sharing :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou

Buddy'sMom
06-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Cool video!! Rocky is amazingly trusting and docile! Wow!
:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon Rocky:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

tatcat
07-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Rocky knows...Dentist
He has dental history...last year Dr.L pulled other upper. He had abcess.
Prior to that tooth dying and extraction, for a couple years, I clipped both top teeth. He is sweetie:Love_Icon

:jump woo hoo, jackie...that is on a sunday...i just may have to make his some cookies and bring him a gift...he sure is a talker...he was so cute today...i am glad i got to meet him and sarah...:wahoo :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou for a wonderful afternoon....:jump

Jackie in Tampa
07-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Tatcat...your fibbing...he was a grouchy BH:poke
That's ok, we all have naughty days...:sanp3
He really is usually a sweetie.:Love_Icon ..
Next time:Love_Icon

tatcat
07-15-2008, 10:34 PM
:wave123 jackie, he was fine....just moody as ya said...we all have our days..my fatcat is the same way...sometimes he wants in and sometimes out...and so on......an on....and on...in one evening...it gets tiring...as in tonite...meow=i want in....10 min later...meow=i want out...10 min later...meow=i want in...10 min later...meow=i want out...it gets aggrivating, but he is "OLD AND CRABBY" :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl and spoiled ROTTEN...:jump

Jackie in Tampa
12-01-2012, 05:46 AM
MBT hope this helps.
*cheap side cutters are made with soft metal... okay for a one time trim,
teeth are hard and will dent metal, if tooth is cut again on this area of blade, possibility of shattering/splintering tooth.
GOOD METAL TRIMMERS ARE ADVISED
{german steel or carbide}

http://www.livesaysinc.com/products_jewelers.html

Side cutters with a flush-cut, carbide blade. Used to cut gold, brass, nickel and other metals. Tips are extra fine to get into hard to reach areas. Measure 43/4" long with leaf springs.
$23.95

MyBushyTail
12-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Exactly what I was looking for and need...could not find this thread. Thank you very much.

island rehabber
12-01-2012, 07:47 AM
FYI: No wonder you couldn't find it....I should have put a copy in the Special Ailments section under Malocclusion. Doing that right now. :thumbsup

LindaR
12-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Thank you for posting this Jackie! Hammie does not like men at all and my vet is male lol. He cries so much when the vet trims his teeth, makes me want to cry too. Vet doesn't use the stick either which always worried me that Hammie could choke on his teeth or something go wrong. This brings me more comfort, thank you thank you thank you :Love_Icon

PS I love the video of your babies they are so precious!! <3

LindaR
12-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Husband bought hardened steel clippers that look just like the ones in the photo..are these acceptable? Never done this before but would sure beat poor Hammie getting so stressed going to vet to get them clipped. He DOES NOT LIKE MEN!:poke The vet doesnt use the wooden stick either..scares me.. and are there anymore hints or tips? or red flags i should be aware of if doing this on my own??

Gina
03-05-2013, 11:26 AM
I tried to order a pair of these clippers but the no longer have the 4 3/4 but had 5". I talked to Jackie about them while I was at Karen's barn-raising and she approved.:crazy :crazy :crazy

Soooo I thought I would make it easier on anyone else who tries to order so I have attached a pic of the catalog page with the item picture and order number. I also spoke with Mary from Livesay's because they were out of these too. She is ordering me a pair and an extra one or two in case anyone else here needs them. PS I had to create an account to access the online catalog. They then email you with a user ID and password. I ended up just talking to them so not sure if you need an account or not..their phone number is 800-476-2715 and they are located in Tampa.

She was cackling the whole time..what..squirrel teeth:osnap You mean you trim their teeth?:jump Yeah...we were talking about this last week when you called:crazy :crazy :crazy

What we do for our babies is endless. I don't care who thinks I am crazy jsut as long as I get what I need for my lil furry monkeys. :Love_Icon

In case it is hard to read...the item number is 461.065
Description:
Side cutters with a flush-cut, carbide blade. Used to cut gold, brass, nickel and other metals. Tips are extra fine to get into hard to reach areas.These cutters have dual leaf springs and comfortable rubber cushion grips.
Overall length: 4.50" (115mm)
Jaws: ½" (12.5mm)

knightsoul
11-13-2013, 01:22 PM
You can do that without them being sedated? Doesn't that hurt them alot?

farrelli
11-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Sedation is only infrequently used. It doesn't hurt them if done properly (no tugging on teeth), but it does scare them.

Jackie in Tampa
11-13-2013, 01:32 PM
:(
a month ...miss you Rock, xo

teeth have no feeling knightsoul, but there are many precautions to trimming teeth.

knightsoul
11-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Wow learning so much....

Gina
12-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Just a note about this jeweler...they never did come through with the pliers and they have been "on back-order" forever and I never did get a pair:pokedon't know whats wrong with them.

On the hunt for them somewhere else & will post back when I find some

Milo's Mom
12-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Just a note about this jeweler...they never did come through with the pliers and they have been "on back-order" forever and I never did get a pair:pokedon't know whats wrong with them.

On the hunt for them somewhere else & will post back when I find some

Wish I would have known this...I just threw mine out (maybe 3 weeks ago). They did nothing but shatter and splinter Ellie's teeth so I knew I would never use them again. They've been sitting in her supply drawer for years and I finally got tired of seeing them so I threw them away.