PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with my favourite wild squirrel

Jo-Anne
11-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Hi everyone. This afternoon, I was walking at local park and saw my favourite wild squirrel "White Nose" (female black squirrel with large bright white nose). She saw me, came running towards me but was staggering, stumbling, falling over and just looks off. I'm so upset because I'm figuring this is due to illness or injury! She doesn't appear to be injured so I'm wondering what sort of illness would cause this behaviour?

She had 3 babies earlier this year and all 3 are doing great - looking happy and healthy. One of the youngsters even has the mom's white nose!

I would appreciate any comments re: behaviour I observed today. Thank You.

JLM27
11-28-2012, 07:13 PM
If she took a fall she may have a neurological injury. Best to trap her and bring her in. Right now she is very vulnerable to predators and cars because she is semi-helpless. Sometimes head injuries can get better.

It could also be poison, if someone thought it was "funny" to give her something bad.

kastillo
11-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Is her babies still in her care?
Racoon roundworm comes to mind too.
Please update when you see her again. Is it at all possible to take her into your care and help her. She is vulnerable if she is not all there right now.

sage4dylan
11-29-2012, 07:27 AM
Do you know where the babies are also? If you trap her, don't forget the babies, they won't survive without her if they arent old enough

PennyCash
11-29-2012, 02:26 PM
:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

CritterMom
11-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Do you know where the babies are also? If you trap her, don't forget the babies, they won't survive without her if they arent old enough

Don't worry - no little babies this time of year in Mississauga! Young juvies out of the nest for some time by now.

Jo-Anne
12-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Hi everyone. Thank You all for your postings! Sadly, I haven't seen White Nose since my initial posting and think she may have crossed over. Do wild animals go to The Rainbow Bridge? I'm actually crying while typing this posting because I'm so sad/upset! :Squirrel

Her youngsters are fine ... happy, healthy, quite large - look adult size now! Lots of people in the neighbourhood feed all the squirrels as well.

IrishHarps
12-19-2012, 03:26 PM
All squirrels go to heaven, as we say around here :grouphug

And Jesus said that God cares for the wild things - the sparrows of the air, and knows when each one falls to the ground. Wild or tame, it's all the same to God.

But I hope you find your little friend again soon and are able to help her. I'll keep on hoping for you!

LindaR
12-19-2012, 06:34 PM
So sorry :( Sending hugs and prayers:grouphug :Love_Icon Yes there is a heaven for squirrels for life is breath that is the breath of God. and we all, animal and human alike, will go from whence we came:Love_Icon :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

MJS
12-24-2012, 10:56 AM
So sorry :( Sending hugs and prayers:grouphug :Love_Icon Yes there is a heaven for squirrels for life is breath that is the breath of God. and we all, animal and human alike, will go from whence we came:Love_Icon :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon
:grouphug Amen :grouphug

Chickenlegs
12-24-2012, 03:35 PM
These little guys embrace life like we just can't--don't know how--and when it's time, they leave with joy and gladness, never having been apart from nature and their creator. We do a lot of talking about heaven and God. They KNOW about it.