PDA

View Full Version : need help with baby squirrel

johnnymcsquirrelly
11-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Does anyone know how I could raise a baby squirrel. I am located in North Florida/ South Georgia area. Released mine...successfully except for the hole in my heart..If you have one that needs a good home till release time...I'm here

kastillo
11-27-2012, 10:04 AM
You are in FL?? Maybe call your local vets office and let them know you are available to foster baby squirrels if anyone should bring one in. Usually vets offices are too busy to give the care needed and happily hand them over to a foster home. Be sure to check the laws first though. I've never had a problem giving my info to the vets office. That's how I got my pinkey this year. Smallest squirrel I ever raised. About 20 grams when she came to me. So young, her skin was still kinda see through. She's doing great at around 4 month old now.

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s418/KrissiStitt/DSC01943.jpg

sage4dylan
11-27-2012, 11:41 AM
I live in Florida. The law here is you can raise and have a baby squirrel BUT they don't want them released, you are suppose to keep them as a "pet". That how the LAW puts it so I wouldn't tell them you plan on releasing them, they may not give them to you but that is a good idea. Vets offices probably see plenty of them and I am sure are happy to hand them over.

Anne
11-27-2012, 11:53 AM
If you are in GA, the law is not forgiving about squirrels. FL is fine, except that non-licensed people are not supposed to release. I am just outside of Jacksonville. you can email or PM me for any other questions you may have. I have had to stop rehabbing myself, but I can help in other ways :)