View Full Version : Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hawks!!!!!!!!

precious
11-21-2012, 04:37 PM
I understand that the hawks have to eat too but it is so distressing to me......there is a very large coopers hawk that has basically moved into my yard.....its my fault....i took one of the bird feeders down and i stopped feeding squirrels in the a.m.....but is that really even going to help??there are so many nuts stored in the back the squirrels are there even if im not....i will post a pic of the hawk soon....what can i do??i feel horrible......i love all animals but this hurts so bad.......i feed them after 2 or 3 pm when the hawks seem to be gone.....please help

precious
11-21-2012, 04:42 PM
here is a pic of the hawk.......he is beautiful but i need advice....i love my babies so much

JLM27
11-21-2012, 05:03 PM
First. Get a slingshot. Second. Hang some cds all over the tree to scare it away.

Nemehoto
11-21-2012, 05:28 PM
The CD idea is good and it works, as does electric fence streamers, I personally use a supersoaker 2000 (big one) to keep unwanted animals out of my yard (works for my kinfolk too) they shoot a stream of water about 100 feet. A cowbell, or alarm may work to scare off the hawk as well, but it will likely do the same to your wilds.

Milo's Mom
11-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Airhorns...like the canned air with the horn on top

Mirrors...(only when sunny) reflect the sunlight into the hawk's face

Walking...hawks do not like they way us humans walk, so just walking through the yard as close to them as possible usually scares them away...I use long exaggerated steps and swing my arms too.

Rocks....throwing them

Metal Trash Can Lids....bang them together

Metal Pot & Spoon....beat on the pot like you're drumming for your life

quagmire
11-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Just run out and chase him away. I only have to do that with the hawks that come in my yard once or twice and they get the hint. Plenty of hawks live in our area but do not frequent our yard. Show them you are crazy. :thumbsup

Squirrelis
11-21-2012, 10:08 PM
A soft plastic pellets BB gun- you shoot it close to hawk like the branch he's sitting in- the noise gets them too- also the large black crows and bluejays warn you when hawks are around and chase them away:crazy - good luck- I can't stand them either -SQUIRRELS RULE:D

skippy
11-22-2012, 01:41 AM
I just shared this on another thread this week.
I spoke with a rehabber who volunteers with the educational birds at a local wildlife center, including a hawk that is non releasable. He was injured by a squirrel. Lost an eye and a toe that was bit off. She said that hawks generally miss 95% of their targeted prey. Those are pretty good odds for the squirrels.
If I see a hawk around my area I make the "chung...chung, chung chung sound they make and I clap my hands or something nearby like they do. They do perk up. Blue jays, stellar jays are wonderful for alerting the wildlife when there is something dangerous around.
Prayer of protection helps calm me down, sometimes I just have to trust in something greater than myself protecting my precious friends.

Charley Chuckles
11-22-2012, 07:53 AM
I have done this, it works.....if it is sunny enough....take a fairly large mirror aim it at them move mirror around...they hate it , mine have never landed back in the tree they use to perch on (cooper hawks is what I have as well) I am planing to get a poll lamp with a bulb to use on cloudy days and see if it works :thumbsup

kcassidy
11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
A slingshot, really? :(

We are rehabber's arent' we. I love my squirrels too, but I wouldn't hurt hawks. I'd cry if they got one of mine, but.....

I like the ideas about CD's, grunting/clapping. But just like Opossums, if you put out cat food, they will come. You put out Squirrely's they will come.

Love them all or not at all.

Chickenlegs
11-28-2012, 09:03 PM
I've been knows to run through the yard waving towels and throwing chicken poop at hawks. The crows do a good job of warning there's hawks around--and the dumb ol birds always give ample warning they're looking for breakfast. Wonder if a super soaker would discourage the beautiful big evil ol birds. Don't they have those that shoot up to 60 feet?

Nemehoto
11-29-2012, 07:16 AM
the super soaker water guns can reach 150 feet now. and yes they do discourage the birds of prey and crows to

Charley Chuckles
11-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Actually I love the crows, blue jays, mocking birds to live in my yard as they chase away hawks and owls :thumbsup

Saverywood
11-30-2012, 04:43 AM
I've been knows to run through the yard waving towels and throwing chicken poop at hawks. The crows do a good job of warning there's hawks around--and the dumb ol birds always give ample warning they're looking for breakfast. ?

:rotfl I can just see someone with chickenlegs running through the yard waving a towel & throwing chicken poop.:rotfl ...and my family thinks I am weird....:rotfl I love it:Love_Icon

I sorry you have a hawk hanging out. Crows around seem to chase hawks off, but having said that I just got a little girl "ladyhawke" who survived a hawk attack. Her sibbling wasn't so lucky (RIP poor little one). CD's work great over my chicken coop; keeps the buzzards or "chicken hawks" away too. :) Good luck.

Runestonez
11-30-2012, 03:56 PM
I have a Cooper's hawk that hangs around in our neighbourhood.
I was in a panic last year and resorted to running down the front sidewalk waving a broom (dinner AND a show in our neighbourhood folks!) whooping like a feind whenever I saw it.
Last year I saw our one wild male grey climb up a pine in our yard and then over into our birch. He was watching something further down in the tree...and even odder...3 smaller males were following him(he usually kicks their butts when they bug him).
All of a sudden he springs up leaps down further into the tree! I hopped to the side to see what he was up to and damn near had heart failure!
He had leapt down ONTO THE BACK OF THE COOPER'S HAWK!!!!
He knocked it out of the tree and the hawk almost hit the ground 15 feet below before it recovered...and the young males went charging down the tree with the older male after the hawk again!
:sanp3
The big male (we call him Scarra) spent the next hour stomping along the fenceline of our yard grumping and flagging his tail!
It scared the crap out of me and stunned me speechless...but that squirrel eats for free at our house!

One other thing we learned...crows have a VERY low tolerance for hawks...so we try to encourage them to hang around by leaving a few scraps out here and there!

Mrs Skul
11-30-2012, 05:19 PM
I call the Crow up, using the Crow Calls. The Crow come to investigate. Now when I Crow they come scramming over from Miles away.
I put food out for the Crows Always. Bread, Dry Dog Food, Seeds, What ever they wont they get. :D Keeps the Hawks out of my Yard.
REMEMBER If you hear the Squirrels Squealing in a Soft High Pitch Squeak. And are middle ways down the tree. That is Always a PREDATOR IN THE AIR!!!
Do you have a Sling Shot? Just don't get caught. :shakehead