PDA

View Full Version : Feeding wilds question??

puddinpie
11-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Hi everyone,

I like to feed my wild greys here in Chicago. I have a few that visit my backyard. I stopped feeding last year due to having some issues with my neighbor.( he has squirrels in his attic, he has had them for years now though, even before we moved here). Well he just gets mad that quite a few people in this neighbirhood on our block do feed them.

I started feeding them again in the srping this year ( screw my neighbor, hey, he is the only one on around here who has squirrels in his attic, no one else does! He needs to fix his attic then he wouldn't have the problem right?)

Well anyhow I feed my wild greys an assortment of raw nuts, like almonds, pecans, hazelnuts and walnuts. They really like them. It is funny because each squirrel has their own likes and dislikes. Pancake( this is what I named her), she really likes almonds. She also like to bury them. Then Bandit ,well he likes the walnuts more. Kowala likes everything he is not picky in the least. And I also think I have a mama who is pregnant and she likes them all, but more so the almonds.

My question is: can they eat any other kinds of nuts like brazil or cashew?? I bought a few brazil nuts out of the shell but wanted to see if they were safe to give my wilds??? I will say since we have been feeding them, they look really healthy and fat for the winter!! Their coats are beautiful :)

SammysMom
11-17-2012, 02:25 PM
I think cashews are a no no and brazil nuts aren't great, but they are int he mix I give my wilds and they seem to mostly hide them as the shells are so hard.

ForCatrachito
11-17-2012, 03:02 PM
No idea on Cashews, but if I recall right from what I've read brazil nuts are an okay as a treat because they don't offer much nutritionally. I would take the shell off though, or at least start it for them because brazil nuts are freakin hard, lol.

puddinpie
11-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will stay away from the cashews then. I do have some brazil nuts and they are out of the shell. I will just give them as a treat then once in a while. I just wanted to make sure they were safe and would not make the squirrels sick... Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it..