PDA

View Full Version : Am I doing all the right things?

newmommyof2
11-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Hello, I have, since Wednesday, been taking care of 2 orphaned or abandoned babies. They appear to 5 to 6 weeks old according to some of the websites I have been to. There were initially 3 but the first one I found did not survive. The second one just walked right up to me on my front porch. The third one I had to punch holes in the wall of my home to get to it. My next door neighbor said that he saw the mom crawling into a hole in the fascia of my roof, don't know when he saw this but Wednesday is when my ordeal began. I have been keeping them in a cat carrier with some old t-shirts and a heating pad. I left them outside in the carrier to see if mom would come after them but she never did after a period of 4 hours. I have been feeding them apples, pecans, walnuts, broccoli, carrot slivers, cucumber, avocado, and some pedialyte. They have been eating more of the carrots and nuts and apples. I tried contacting a rehabber but by the time I heard back from him I had decided to continue to take care of them because it seemed that they had become accustomed to me. Probably wishful thinking on my part but anyway, I went to PetCo this morning and got some Kaytee Squirrel and Critter food and some raw shelled peanuts. I also bought a water bottle/feeder to hang from the side of the carrier. It's holding up pretty well. I also got some doggie nail polish to mark one of the babies because I couldn't tell who was who. My concerns are: 1. The Squirrel food, is it ok or should I just keep feeding the nuts, fruits and veggies? Right now, both are out there. The Katee food is just corn, peanuts and sunflower seeds. 2. The gal at Petco said to put some peanut butter on the water bottle to get them to go to it but I don't have any peanut butter. Won't they just go to it on their own? 3. How can I know if they are getting all that they need from me and are they eating enough? I put some nail polish on one of the babies so I could tell them apart, I need to know that they are both getting enough to eat and drink. 4. How much longer do I need to keep them before I let them go on their own.? I keep them outside during the day with the door to the carrier open and their food and water nearby and at the first sign of night, I bring them in and keep them covered.

Am I doing all the right things???

I put a couple of pix, hope you can see them!!

Thanks!!
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/552358_3920456172878_1019813809_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/552397_3913257552917_1331805461_n.jpg

kastillo
11-17-2012, 01:26 PM
At this age they should still be taking formula. Can you get these items?
(copy and pasted from IR's sticky)

Temporary Formula for Infant Squirrels – The Goat’s Milk Formula

Because of recent manufacturing issues, Esbilac and other puppy formulas are no longer being recommended for squirrels or other wildlife. The formula that TSB recommends, Fox Valley Day One, is currently available online at www.foxvalleynutrition.com and www.henryspets.com. But those require shipping and this baby squirrel needs food NOW.

One of our senior members who posts as Jackie in Tampa uses an excellent temporary substitute, and it can be assembled from locally purchased ingredients:

3 parts goat’s milk
1 part heavy whipping cream*
1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels may do better digestively if, instead of being given Fox Valley formula straight, mix the Fox Valley 50/50 with the Goat’s Milk Formula assembled WITHOUT the heavy whipping cream.

*It is recommended that when just starting to feed a new baby that the first feedings be made without the heavy whipping cream. This will give their digestive systems a chance to acclimate from mama’s milk to our substitute without the harder-to-digest whipping cream. Once they accept the formula and are eliminating properly, the whipping cream can be gradually added in.

When your Fox Valley formula arrives, please transition your babies to the new formula slowly, by blending the Goat’s Milk Formula with the blended and liquefied Fox Valley formula, increasing the ratio of Fox Valley with each feeding until you are no longer using the goat’s milk.

Make sure the babies are warm when you feed them.
Also the formula should be warm, a little warmer than your skin, and fed to them with a syringe. You can probably get one at your pharmacy for free. 1 cc, needle-less.

Feed 5% of body weight. If they weigh 100 grams they should be eating at least 5 cc's of formula. At this age they probably need formula every 5 or 6 hours.

If there's something I missed, I'm sure one of the experts will reply soon.

HRT4SQRLS
11-17-2012, 06:31 PM
:wave123 newmommyof2
:Welcome to TSB

Yes kastillo is right, these little guys need to be on formula. I would make the temporary goat's milk recipe until you can order some FoxValley Day 1 20/50. Around here, formula is offered as long as the baby will take it. Some wean themselves young, others wean around 12 weeks and some lap FV out of a bowl as adults. :D

They are way too young to be released. I'm fearful that leaving them outside with the door open could be deadly. A cat or hawk or just about anything will kill them. I'm not sure how cold it is in Texas but these babies might need to be overwintered due to their young age and the cold winter. A fall baby with no mother would have very little chance of surviving a brutal cold winter. If you bring them in and feed them though the winter you could release them in the spring.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Squirrel mix (corn,nuts,sunflower) is actually VERY bad for squirrels. I know they sell it for squirrels but it is only because they like it, NOT because it is good for them. Briefly, the Calcium/Phosphate ratio of all three ingredients is bad. A steady diet of this will cause the calcium to be leeched out of the bones and lead to a condition called Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). MBD causes brittle bones, seizures, paralysis and death. It is a condition we see ALL the time around here as newbies find TSB because their squirrel is dying. I'm sure you don't want that to happen so I would ditch the Squirrel Mix or give it to the wilds in small portions. A little at the time won't hurt the wilds because they are able to meet their nutritional needs by eating wild food. I used to feed it to the wilds BEFORE I knew it was bad. Yes, they sure do love it.

When you order the FoxValley, I would also order Henry's Healthy Blocks (growth) at Henry's Healthy Pets .http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-blocks-growth-formula/ You can get the FoxValley and 1 cc syringes and silicon mothering nipples from this same website. 2 HHB's per day along with healthy vegetables will give them all they need to thrive. Nuts (almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, etc) should only be given as treats. Peanuts aren't so good so most here only give them to wild squirrels outside. If you prefer you can buy Mazuri rat blocks or Kaytee rodent blocks (blue bag) from Petsmart, order Harlan Teklad blocks or Zupreen monkey biscuits. To be honest with you, now that they have eaten corn and nuts they probably won't eat the Mazuri blocks. In the nutrition section you can refer to the healthy diet for squirrels. It will tell you all you need to know about feeding these guys properly.

Welcome again ... you have 2 beautiful little fox squirrels there. :thumbsup

HappyLittleSquirrely
11-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Where are you in Texas?

Nemehoto
11-18-2012, 03:50 AM
Thank you for finding them and taking care of them. It is a terror and joy to raise little squirrels and I raised my first two this fall. The advice on this board was invaluable to me.

The little munchkins need to be on formula, as they have been on Momma's milk they may not eat much at first. General rule of the thumb is 5-7% of their body weight per feeding. If you have a kitchen or postal scale weight them in grams. if they weigh 100 grams they get 5-7 cc's or ml's per feeding.

Diet is very important or they won't thrive. I learned that the hard way (OMG is there so much misinformation out there!) When I switched from what I was feeding to Fox Valley I was amazed at the difference in their growth and energy. here is the chart from the nutrition section. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32218

Babies this age shouldn't be eating nuts yet, try them on Henry's health blocks, they will ignore them at first (anything but eat them for the first few days then they will start eating them and enjoy) Raw peanuts aren't good for them.

The heating pad should be under half their carrier not the hole thing, then need to be able to escape from the heat if they want to. It should be set on low, without an auto turn off. A heating pad that stays on is very important, babies chill quickly and a cold baby can't eat.

There are a lot more people here that can answer your questions

island rehabber
11-18-2012, 05:50 AM
newmommyof2, you've gotten perfect advice here. :thumbsup
Diet is Job One through FIVE when it comes to squirrels -- nothing is quite as crucial as diet with these animals, and nothing can cause them to go down fast than poor nutrition. The "Squirrel Mix" sold all over the place is exactly like "Party Mix" -type chips & crackers sold for people: relatively cheap, easy to find, tastes great, and has no nutritional value whatsoever. You wouldn't want to raise your kids on it. :(

UDoWhat
11-18-2012, 09:26 AM
The advice you get on TSB is the advice you should follow, IMO. Please if nothing else follow the food guidelines on THIS site. You will raise happy healthy squirrels if you do. I have had many people bring me their squirrels,( often too late),that have followed the nutritional advice of stores like PetCo/ PetWhatever... and many are in irreversible health conditions. I don't mean to sound bossy or scare you but I have seem many squirrels die in just this situation. Please follow the nutritional advice you find HERE. Your squirrels are darling. I know how much you love them!! :Welcome to TSB!!

Marty

newmommyof2
11-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I have ordered the much needed supplies and am on the way to Sprouts to get the items needed for the formula.

@hrt4sqrls, THANK YOU!!! They are precious and seem to have taken to me. (Seem to...lol) My neighborhood is free of strays and hawks. I leave them on my front porch near the bushes so they can get in the dirt if they want and I leave my front door open with the screen door window open so I can hear and see if there are any suspicious characters hanging around. I did hear a male squirrel out there the other day but I haven't seen him since he ran off. I, at first, thought it was momma until I saw his 'unmentionables' lol! He was pretty vocal and shook his tail allot, then he ran off. Should I be concerned of the male? Will they harm babies as some other animals do? As far as the weather, our winters are fairly mild. Temp right now is 52 with a high of 64 and lots of sunshine. We had a really hot summer so I am anticipating a mild winter but I'm no weather expert. I realize that they will have to stay with me until the winter is over, I'm just concerned that they need to have sunlight and fresh air. My back patio is too large for them to be out running around.

@Happy...I am in Carrollton, a small city just outside of Dallas.

@Nemehoto...Terrifying in an understatement! I am anxious all the time and check on them like every hour. But at the same time, I wanna just pick them up and hold on to them the whole time.

@Island Rehabber...PartyMix??? WOW...you would think they would have "some" knowledge of what is nutritional for certain animals. They don't tell people who have found an abandoned kitten to buy "Pounce" for the kitten. But I guess that's retail for ya!!

@UDoWhat....thank you and I do! The one that walked up to me seems to be attached to me...wishful thinking maybe. I have gotten a great deal of info here and like Neme said, there is allot of misinformation out there! I just hope I haven't hurt them by not getting the formula to them when I first found them.

Thanks again everyone!!
Happy Squirreling!!!

Skul
11-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Rats, you're four hours north of me.
Foxers aren't too common down here.

newmommyof2
11-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Hello everybody!
Just an update on my little babies, and thanks for all the info. It has helped a great deal!!! Unfortunately, the little girl didn't make it. She was the one that was in my wall. She must have had some injuries that we could not see. My little man on the other hand is doing famously! I got the FV formula and still mixing it with the GM formula. He's still not 100% on it yet. Also got the Henrys Healthy blocks and the first time I gave it to him, you'd have thought he was on crack...lol!!! He has been running and jumping and running and jumping and...shew...I'M tired! We go outside everyday and sit for a while so he can run around and climb in the bushes. He runs back and forth to me and then to the bushes. He's so cute. He also started chewing on the cat carrier lock so I put a small tree branch in there so he has something to knaw on. Here is a video that was taken on 11-19-12, 5 days after I found him and 2 days on the GM formula. I am also looking into a more portable housing. I was thinking of a ferret cage so I can roll it in and out of the house when the days are sunny and warm. I don't like keeping him all cooped up in the cat carrier. Altho, I do take him out everyday and put him in a large box so he can run around. Any thoughts?

Thanks again everyone!!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3931721974516

SammysMom
11-25-2012, 03:21 PM
:Welcome NewMommy!
Am I understanding that you are letting the baby go outdoors with no cage? If I am clear on that I want to say that it is a very bad idea. They are so easily frightened that it takes just a split second for them to run off. Please dot let the little guy loose until he is grown up and ready for permanent release. You have all the info you will need right here at your finger tips! Just ask any questions you have and someone here will help you.

newmommyof2
11-25-2012, 03:53 PM
HI sammysmom,

Yes, I thought it would be good for him to get out and run around as long as Iwas watching him, but I guess not. I probably should have asked first. Thanks for letting me know. I guess I'll wait till I get the ferret cage that I can take outside. I'm just worried that he's not getting enough fresh air and exercise.

SammysMom
11-25-2012, 04:03 PM
If he was with his mom he would be stuffed in his nest and not allowed to even peek out for weeks...:D I am glad I didn't sound too bossy...lol I just know that there are MANY accidents due to people just not knowing any better. You will find so many people here who want to help. The Squirrel Board saved my Sammy from my ignorance!:grouphug

newmommyof2
11-25-2012, 06:05 PM
No not at all! I am the newbie after all and it would break my heart if something happened to Rocky due to my ignorance. I forget that he is a wild animal and not just a baby. What are your thoughts on the ferret cage as a new home? The cat carrier just seems to be to small for him. He is trying to jump out of the large box I put him in when I clean the carrier.

Nancy in New York
11-25-2012, 06:07 PM
No not at all! I am the newbie after all and it would break my heart if something happened to Rocky due to my ignorance. I forget that he is a wild animal and not just a baby. What are your thoughts on the ferret cage as a new home? The cat carrier just seems to be to small for him. He is trying to jump out of the large box I put him in when I clean the carrier.

Do you have a picture of the ferret cage? Are you going to overwinter him?
Remember to not expose him to other pets that you may have.
He is adorable, by the way!

newmommyof2
11-25-2012, 07:55 PM
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251188488170&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=28468440296

Hey Miss Nancy. I hope this works. Im sending it from my phone. Yes, I do plan on over wintering him . I just hope I get it right.

Nancy in New York
11-25-2012, 08:03 PM
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251188488170&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=28468440296

Hey Miss Nancy. I hope this works. Im sending it from my phone. Yes, I do plan on over wintering him . I just hope I get it right.

Yup, it worked. I've seen those before, and I've heard where people have problems with them because of the plastic, the squirrels chew it. They also say that they feel flimsy. I've never had a cage like that so I don't know first hand.

The woman that makes the blocks sells a cage for $149 and free shipping if you want to take a look at that. I can send you links tomorrow of other cages if you want.

http://www.henryspets.com/henrys-house-exotic-pet-cage/

This is one lucky little squirrel.
Do you want me to move your thread out of the introduction area. If so, just tell me where you want to put it....perhaps in the nursery?

SammysMom
11-25-2012, 08:04 PM
There are a few things about that cage that might not be ideal but if you already ordered it you can probably deal with it. Nancy has some GREAT cage suggestions though and I am sure she will offer her suggestions. I have a Critter Nation cage that i love. The bar spacing is important. You really want 1/2" so they don't get their arms slipping through. Also the bottom of that cage is plastic and they are ofter quite fond of hewing plastic.:shakehead

island rehabber
11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Putting my two cents in: I have found that the SuperPet company's plastic is just totally not squirrel proof. I had an adult female who chewed through a brand new "extra long" SuperPet cage ($75 in Petco) in no more than 15 minutes :sanp3. The Martins and Marchioro cages are built much stronger and I've never had a squirrel pull a Houdini from either brand.

newmommyof2
11-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks Island Rehabber and Sammy's mom! Yes miss Nancy, you can move the thread where ever you feel it's appropriate. I am so glad I found this forum. It's be lost without it. I wanna be just like y'all when I grow up! :multi

newmommyof2
11-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Oh and yes miss Nancy if you could post those other links for me that would be great!