PDA

View Full Version : It's a bird, it's a plane...No, it's a dozen flying squirrels!

stifflersmom
02-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Greetings! We live on the Mississippi River near LaCrosse, WI...always lots of wildlife including lots of eagles living in the trees around our house...But this really amazed me since I've never seen them before. We have well over a dozen flying squirrels eating from our birdfeeder at dusk. They are so fast and there are so many of them! I am now able to go out onto the deck which is only about 10 feet from the feeder while they eat. Last night I was grilling out and one of the little sweeties decided to climb down the tree that overhangs the deck. Like I said..."AMAZING"! Only one problem....they have decided to live in the overhang of our house and as little night creatures...they make a lot of noise!
Just wondering if having so many flying squirrels at a time is unusual? They certainly keep my cats happy looking at them thru the windows!
Do flyers usually stay put or will they move out in the summer and find a new home? So many questions... Wish I could get a good picture of them...they really are cute little buggers!

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
02-20-2007, 03:43 PM
:Welcome to the squirrel board.

That is amazing! I haven't ever seen a wild flying squirrel let alone a dozen. I don't know much about them so I am not sure if they live in groups or alone. I think they are more solitary than the fox and grey squirrels though. I don't think they move from place to place too much, but I could be wrong. Pictures would be awesome if you can get them! I would love to see your furry friends.

Gabe
02-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I know a little about flyers, they do live in colonies like bats. Where there is one there is a dozen as you are seeing. Of course being nocturnal, they will make noise while you are trying to sleep. Perhaps you could put some nest boxes up outside and get them out of the house. One way to get them out is to find where they are going in and out and placing a baffle over the hole. The baffle should allow them to get out but not back in. Beware baby season will soon be here and you don't want to seperate mom's from babies.

Does anyone know for sure when flyer baby season starts in WI?

Bobo's Mom
02-20-2007, 05:23 PM
In Wisconsin you have both varieties.... The Northern & The Southern Flying Squirrel. The Northerns are a bit bigger. From what I've read if Northern there is one breeding season which begins in May or June. Southerns have 2. One in early spring & the other in mid summer. Gestation is about 40 days for both I think. If you want to boot them out you'd best do it now before they get any more cozy & invite more friends (a colony can be 20+ squirrels).

C*ndy
02-20-2007, 05:26 PM
That is really neat! Around here we have lots year round.They are very communal. Too bad you have to move them out. Can't you sleep in another bedroom.... JUST KIDDING!!! :D
I am way down at the bottom of Mississsippi River. I have heard it is beautiful up that way on the river. Sad to say It is the muddy Mississippi here. welcome to the Squirrel Board!!!!:Welcome