PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel tails

DubShack
02-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I found part of a squirrel tail in the yard today. A few feet away I found the cat responsible stuck between the picket fence, trying to get out. First I laughed my ass off, then I gave it a hard kick in the ass to dislodge it from the fence.

And I dunno why, but I brought the tail with me to work to hang on my cubicle... Would that be like, un-hygenic or anything? Or does that just sound really creepy?

I dunno, I've been going through some stress the past week, and I haven't seen my squirrels too much, but I've caught too many cats and I'm starting to wonder. I can't give the poor thing its tail back, whoever it was... The truth its just getting harder to identify Molly, because the fact that part of her tail was missing was the easiest way to identify her. :(

TexanSquirrel
02-20-2007, 01:27 PM
uuuhhh...That's kinda creepy.

Farani
02-20-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't think it's creepy. One of my friends used to have an animal tail about 6 inches in length as a keychain that he bought on vacation. Seems no different to me than collecting snake skins...

Mrs. Jack
02-20-2007, 02:21 PM
If I'd found Zag's tail, I'm not sure what I would've done with it.. for sure not just thrown it away, probably given it a little burial.

Dubshack, it's not creepy, but how does it make you feel? does it make you think of your squirrels and the pleasure they give you and if so keep it, or does it make you sad and worry about them? if so give it a burial.

and don't worry about recognizing them.. I call mine by the wrong names all the time when I don't get a good look and no one has ever been insulted so long as a nut is there in the equation :)

Secret Squirrel
02-20-2007, 02:34 PM
FYI....squirrels tail have flesh and bone attached. It may need to air out until it completly dried. If you notice a foul smell..:yuck ..just put it outside to dry out.
I have a small part of a tail I found in my yard...it was dry and I put it in the band of my gardening hat!!!! :pimp

DubShack
02-20-2007, 06:51 PM
It was just the tip, probably just one vertibre. Not much to worry about. It's unfortunate, we have so many cats in the neigborhood that just about everybody has some sort of battle scar. Last I saw Molly, she was missing a bit of fur from her back, she couldn't crack open a pecan unless I bit it open for her, and when she went to climb up the fence she hit her head or something and fell on her back... I don't know what happened, but she got back up and scampered back up the pole and along the fence like she usually does... Ate the pecan I cracked open for her on the top of the garage. I dunno if its an old age thing or if she's just wiped out from being attacked so much...

This cat thing is getting out of control. I see them out at night, prowing the neigborhood. One actually got daring enough to climb all the way to a drey and attack it. If there were any babies that fell out, I couldn't find them.

But I'm seriously thinking about getting one of those havahart traps that will fit racoons, and just setting it out and baiting it at night. I'm betting I could probably catch quite a few that way. Then stick them all in a box and drop them off at the humane society. As much as I'm hating these cats, I can't get off killing them. All though I could pass them off to my mom. She knows people who wouldn't have that problem.

As for what I did with the tail... I pinned it on my cubical wall at work, I've got a "happy wall" where I keep pictures of all my friends, and some of my best artwork. It's for cheering me up when I feel blue. I recently added a "Squirrel Crossing" sign, that was going to be used at home till I got it and found out it was plastic, and not really what I was looking for in the way of catching motorists attention. Plus people get a kick out of it. So yes... It does remind me of them in a good way. I just don't get to see them that often. And when I do, usually this is the only part I get to touch anyway. :)

Buddy'sMom
02-20-2007, 08:15 PM
....and don't worry about recognizing them.. I call mine by the wrong names all the time when I don't get a good look and no one has ever been insulted so long as a nut is there in the equation :)

WHAT?? The truth comes out??? :thinking :thinking Here I've been sitting all this time thinking "Mrs. Jack has names for each of her outside squirrels and she can TELL THEM APART. That's really something." And now you tell us this? :dono :poke :jump :jump

Gabe
02-21-2007, 06:17 AM
Dubshack, that's a great idea about trapping them and solving the problem humanely. Often when someone is trapping for raccoons they end up with all the neighborhood strays in the trap before they finally get the raccoon. Just use a can of canned cat food and hopefully you will get those cats.

Mrs. Jack
02-21-2007, 08:48 AM
WHAT?? The truth comes out??? :thinking :thinking Here I've been sitting all this time thinking "Mrs. Jack has names for each of her outside squirrels and she can TELL THEM APART. That's really something." And now you tell us this? :dono :poke :jump :jump

LOL. there are 8 that I always know. but with the ins and outs of everyone else yes, I admit it I'm all "hiiii.. who the hell are you? okay welcome!"

I think that these days I am feeding more cats than raccoons with my dog chow and it's ticking me off. :mad:

rygel1hardt
02-21-2007, 09:39 AM
I have a large havaheart trap and I keep it baited all the time for stray cats. I have a good working relationship with animal control and he comes and gets the cats right away. One calico female took me well over six months to catch and I tried every kind of bait imaginable. What finally worked for her was some plain old dry cat chow. Stacey