PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Outdoor Flyers

eviejenn
02-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi! I'm a brand new member seeking a little advice on outdoor flying squirrels. We live in an urban area (suburb of Chicago) and last winter while taking the dogs out for a late night tinkle, I saw a flying squirrel at the bird feeder, which was a HUGE surprise. So we started leaving chopped apples & oranges out in the evening and eventually noticed that we had at least 2 flyers (Rocket & Jet.) Come spring, the little guys disappeared and we thought they were gone for good. Apparently, Rocket has some amazing squirrel mind-meld abilities, because during the first snow this season, I decided to take out some apple, just in case. I had barely finished putting the apple on the feeding platform when Rocket came scooting down the tree! Anyway, just wondering if in addition to the nightly apple, I should put out anything else. After perusing the board, it seems that squirrels have some pretty complex dietary needs. I also keep bird seed in a feeder and a corn log for the day squirrels, which he also samples. I'd like to keep our little guy as healthy as possible. Any suggestions?

Farani
02-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I am also interested to hear what everyone has to say. We've been putting out unsalted peanuts in the shell that we pick up 5 lbs at a time for our squirrels around here.

TexanSquirrel
02-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Maybe just look up the How Does This Diet Sound thread and leave little samples from it out for them.

eviejenn
02-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks! We've had tons of snow lately and we may be the little guy's only food source now. Wild squirrels have a hard enough time, so if I can keep him healthy, I'd be very happy.

Gabe
02-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Right Texan Squirrel, and keep in mind these are wild animals that are coming to feeder for a treat or fast food take out. They are not limited by what you offer as are indoor squirrels that have no natural choices. So you can be a little more lax with what kind of treats you use for outside squirrels.

Secret Squirrel
02-20-2007, 02:39 PM
I am also interested to hear what everyone has to say. We've been putting out unsalted peanuts in the shell that we pick up 5 lbs at a time for our squirrels around here.

As long as it's an outside squirrel then peanuts are not really a problem. Peanuts are really legumes and have some nutritional value but are mostly fat. As long as you give them a variety of food you can't go wrong. I also know that raw peanuts are worse than roasted ones. So have fun feeding your friends and keep the camera handy.:camera ..we like to see fuzzers of all kinds!!!

eviejenn
02-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Well, tonight in addition to the usual apple, I left Rocket some sliced banana and a few pecans. I will try adding new items that people have mentioned in addition to his usual apple and see what he likes best. (My husband pointed out that for a wild animal, Rocket is pretty darn picky. His favorite apples are honeycrisp, pacific rose and pink lady - you know, the ones that cost $2.49 a pound...)

darrakm
02-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Hi!
Check out http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php for feeding of wild flyers. but I can tell you that I have been feeding wild flyers for years at our lake place. We have one of those gallon jug feeders. It is set up so that we can see the flyers going in and out of the jug by the light from the pier. We use black oil sunflower seeds. You can get them by different size bags, up to 50 lbs.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/darrakm/DSC01143a.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/darrakm/DSC01150a.jpg

eviejenn
02-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the tip! I think I may need to add another feeding platform for the little guy(s). I'd like to offer a variety of food, especially since this is an urban area and I think natural food sources are pretty scarce in the winter.

eviejenn
02-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Well, I can report that carrots were not a big hit. The apples and the peanut butter were gone, but the carrots were tossed into a little heap at the foot of the tree. Even the bunnies didn't eat them! (I always make sure to leave a little something for the bunnies in the evening.) I guess that squirrels (& bunnies), like kids, will always pick sweet stuff over veggies...

Buddy'sMom
02-23-2007, 12:01 PM
..........for a wild animal, Rocket is pretty darn picky. His favorite apples are honeycrisp, pacific rose and pink lady - you know, the ones that cost $2.49 a pound...)
:D Exactly. Ours like Fuji apples (lol -- my fault; I buy what I like too, so when they stop eating it, I will finish it up.) But they do seem to really like the Fujis, which I've noticed don't seem to turn brown when you put them out (but I'm not sure whether squirrels care about that?). We haven't had any luck w/carrots either.:D